Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ponyo seems to hold such a grudge. She caught another ear infection so she is on drops for the next week. Every time I give her the drops she runs and hides from me afterwards and will not come when called. She is ALWAYS on my lap on the couch and following me around, but since the meds, she will not come near me :(
Just curious if I have a sensitive diva on my hands or if its pretty normal for malts?
(I pinpoint the breed because I could do anything in the world to my lab and she would still be at my feet w/ a smile every second of the day :)

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Not sure if it's the breed or not. If Archie sees me walking toward him with his ear meds...he suddenly remembers something he's got to go do in the next room....hummmmm:unsure:. But he's never mad afterwards. :innocent:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Sorry! She's probably just more sensitive to pain? My babies kiss the vet after getting a rectal :HistericalSmiley:
:LOL: Cosy holds a grudge for a few hours, but not always. She isn't fond of getting her hair cut but she recovers quickly and loves me again.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Dogs don't hold grudges. That is a human trait.

Dogs act on what feels good or bad to them. If something doesn't feel good to them, they avoid it. When we do something to them that doesn't feel good, they avoid us because they don't want us to do it again any time soon.

My dogs do this to me as well, especially when I have to comb out mats. It's just avoidance of pain, not a grudge, nor a breed trait.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ponyo's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We've missed you guys!!!

Sorry to hear about the ear infection... when it's time to give the drops, be sure you aren't calling her to do that or she will definitely be making a bad association with coming to you. I would also give her one of her fave yummy treats for being a good girl after the drops go in.

I have found that I'm having FAR less of an issue with ear infections since I started putting in drying drops right after bathing them...it seems to help get rid of any water trapped in the ears after the baths (which can lead to infection). I don't know if you are doing this, but if you aren't it's something to think about adding to your routine. Ear infections suck :(

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My little Cozette had an ear infection and I've never heard of drying drops-- what are they and where can I get them? I want to avoid her getting another infection if at all possible!

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
weird I was just thinking of you today did you get moved back to the USA? Sorry to hear about the ear infection.
Matilda trys to hide under the table:w00t: when she needs a bath:HistericalSmiley:yup I think you have a DIVA:wub:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Another thing to consider is do you handle your dog's ears every day when they don't hurt? A dog who is very use to the handling will be more accepting when they have an infection that is uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the tips everyone! Hopefully it will help and make night time brushing and drop-giving more pleasent for her (and me :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts