Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’ve been questioning myself for a while now whether my rescue puppy is indeed a maltese or the puppy is simply a mix of maltese with other breeds, hopefully any of the maltese lovers out there can help me figure out if the reckless breeder of the puppies was genuine about their breed or not..
It’s our family dog that we adore already even though we only had him for over a month although it will be really nice to know whether it’s a maltese or not :)
It looks like it was easy to see that as a small pup our little one looked like a maltese but the more grown he got, the less he looks like the breed including his longer mouth..
Hopefully anybody can help us discover what is our Pups true breed!
THANK U GUYS!
Dog White Carnivore Blue Dog breed
Dog White Carnivore Blue Dog breed

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Sporting Group

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Happy

Comfort Felidae Textile Carnivore Grey

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Felidae Whiskers

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Whiskers

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,027 Posts
Congrats 🌹He is really super cute!! I love his little face. I honestly couldn’t say either way but he looks like a maltese to me. Maybe others will chime in and give their opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
He is so cute! It is hard to tell without a DNA test. So much depends on haircuts. 😊 I'd say say, love him for the darling little white dog he is. I hope you have many happy years together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would question it also. We purchased a pup last year that was supposed to be Maltese. When she was a small puppy, she looked like a lemon-tipped Maltese. Then she grew and grew! We came to believe she was a Coton de Tulear, or at least a mix of the two. She is 12" at the shoulder (Maltese are usually 8" or under) and she is 11 lbs (Maltese are normally 7 lbs ). We have sent to Embark to do her DNA test. We love her to pieces, but really want to know what she is. We have also ordered the health DNA with the Embark test, since that knowledge will be helpful as well. Good luck on your sleuthing!

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would question it also. We purchased a pup last year that was supposed to be Maltese. When she was a small puppy, she looked like a lemon-tipped Maltese. Then she grew and grew! We came to believe she was a Coton de Tulear, or at least a mix of the two. She is 12" at the shoulder (Maltese are usually 8" or under) and she is 11 lbs (Maltese are normally 7 lbs ). We have sent to Embark to do her DNA test. We love her to pieces, but really want to know what she is. We have also ordered the health DNA with the Embark test, since that knowledge will be helpful as well. Good luck on your sleuthing!
Your dog is beautiful 🧡
Please let us what the DNA results are.
I want to do one for my rescue. She is a mix of poodle, bichon or maltese :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi everyone! I’ve been questioning myself for a while now whether my rescue puppy is indeed a maltese or the puppy is simply a mix of maltese with other breeds, hopefully any of the maltese lovers out there can help me figure out if the reckless breeder of the puppies was genuine about their breed or not..
It’s our family dog that we adore already even though we only had him for over a month although it will be really nice to know whether it’s a maltese or not :)
It looks like it was easy to see that as a small pup our little one looked like a maltese but the more grown he got, the less he looks like the breed including his longer mouth..
Hopefully anybody can help us discover what is our Pups true breed!
THANK U GUYS! View attachment 276318 View attachment 276318
View attachment 276319
View attachment 276315
View attachment 276313
View attachment 276316 View attachment 276315
View attachment 276314
View attachment 276317

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only way to tell 100% His breed is to do a genetic test with a saliva swab. I use Embark. Not only can you get breed but also any potential health issues.
I’m planning on breeding mine. I now have proof.
My little male, Cosmo has a longer nose than my female Dolly. He’s 100% Maltese.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your dog is beautiful 🧡
Please let us what the DNA results are.
I want to do one for my rescue. She is a mix of poodle, bichon or maltese :)
Thank you! I will! I'm not disappointed that our girl is not full Maltese, because if she is the Coton de Tulear that we suspect (or partly), they are a pretty rare breed. However, the breeder we bought her from sold her as Maltese and did not "do papers anymore because they are expensive to process and most people didn't want them anyway", so they sold them without papers. We were ok with no papers.....however, trusted the breeder to be honest. THAT would be my main regret. Appreciate your interest!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you! I will! I'm not disappointed that our girl is not full Maltese, because if she is the Coton de Tulear that we suspect (or partly), they are a pretty rare breed. However, the breeder we bought her from sold her as Maltese and did not "do papers anymore because they are expensive to process and most people didn't want them anyway", so they sold them without papers. We were ok with no papers.....however, trusted the breeder to be honest. THAT would be my main regret. Appreciate your interest!
Hello,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello, FYI The AKC papers are not expensive!
Now days a lot of potential Maltese buyers want to see the parents DNA & Breed proof, especially if they plan to breed the puppy.
even if you want a companion lap dog you probably would want to know potential health problems. Testing Dolly & Cosmo was $129 apiece and a small price to know there will not be any future impending health issues!!
Ya know a house is not a home without a bundle of puppy love!🥰

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Breeding should be to benefit the breed. If you have to do a DNA test to know if your dog really is a Maltese, and whether there are any health concerns in their lineage, then perhaps you should refrain from breeding your dogs. There are a lot of mixed breeds on Petfinder and other sites, and dogs that are poor quality and sold just for the money often end up in rescue, too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Breeding should be to benefit the breed. If you have to do a DNA test to know if your dog really is a Maltese, and whether there are any health concerns in their lineage, then perhaps you should refrain from breeding your dogs. There are a lot of mixed breeds on Petfinder and other sites, and dogs that are poor quality and sold just for the money often end up in rescue, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As promised, here are the results. The Embark DNA test came back and Maggie is 50.1% Maltese and 49.9% toy poodle. She is a Maltipoo. And from the DNA report, she is actually a second generation Maltipoo (both parents were Maltipoo). It also said that she had no inherited health problems (almost 300 checked) and that her adult weight would be 11 lbs, which she is at now at 1 year old. I am happy we did this. It confirms why she is bigger than the smaller Maltese and why her legs are longer (poodle). Would definitely recommend!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing the results. :)
I am so relieved for you that she has no inherited health problems.
I love both breeds. They are great dogs 🧡
Your dog is beautiful :love:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts