Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I am new to this site. I wanted to get information about my dog. I adopted him from a shelter on a friday afternoon (May 27th). He was estimated to be 3 months old. They found him roaming around an apartment complex with an injured leg. When I adopted him he seemed to be a little older than 3 months. I suggested maybe 4 months or so. He weighed about 5 pounds when I adopted him. I took him to the vet the following tuesday. He weighed about 5.6 pounds then. Since then he has grown a lot. He is about 17 inches long. He weighs about 17-19 pounds. He wouldn't stay put on the scale. For being only 7-8 months, he is pretty big. He is also pretty big compared to the standards of a maltese. He looks just like a maltese but he seems to weigh much more. I don't mind his weight but I am curious as to whether he is a full breed. If you see him, he is not overweight. He is very much in shape and not fat. I have added pictures of him for you to compare to other maltese. The vets at the shelter all stated he was a full breed maltese. I asked around the shelter and the vet's office. They all agree. As he has grown, he looks less like a maltese and is bigger. I question whether he is full breed due to his size and weight. If I knew where he came from, I would know more about him. Since he was adopted, I have no one to turn to. I would like to know more about his past because of his health. Overall, I want to know as much as possible about my dog for his own good. I either think he is not full breed or he is just not falling within the typical standards of a maltese but is still a maltese. I also have considered that his parents are also bigger than standard maltese but are still maltese. I would appreciate your input. If you think he is mixed, can you please let me know what breeds you think he may be. The picture of him on the steel table is when he was first brought to the shelter at 3 months. The next few are of him as hes grown throughout these last few months. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
He is very very cute ! His face shape kind of reminds me of my roommates Havenese who is about that size, but I am not a dog breed expert that is for sure :)

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
hi and welcome to SM. Your baby is so cute. What's his name?

That 3rd, 4th and 5th pictures that you posted so remind me of an online's friend's coton de tulear. She has 3 cotons. One of them has similar body structure , with long legs too, as shown in the 3rd picture. His face also reminds me of her coton. Let me see if I can find some pictures of him to relate. Her coton is awesome too :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was always suspicious of his breed. I looked into each breed mentioned but the coton de tulear really stood out. I looked at several pictures of that breed and honestly he reminds me a lot of the breed especially his traits. I just felt like he was just way too big to be a maltese. I have previously looked into a maltese mix with other breeds but never really saw any of them stand out. Even as a puppy, he didn't look like a full breed maltese. I am still looking into the coton de tulear. I think this may be it. He is only 7 months old and is still growing therefore in the future he still wouldn't fall under the standards of a maltese. My dog's name is Bentley. I don't really care if he isn't full breed or if he isn't a maltese (even though i love love love the breed). I just really want to know for his health and what to expect. I feel as a good owner, I should be educated on what my dog is and what I need to do. Thank you everyone.

·
Premium Member
20,063 Posts
Very cute pup!!! I agree with the others, but could possibly have some maltese in him. He looks like a real sweet heart :wub:

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
Bentley is very cute but he is not a Maltese. I agree that he may be a Coton or a Havenese/Coton mix.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Oh my goodness, Bentley is ADORABLE!!! From his pics, I would guess he is a Coton or Coton mix. He's gorgeous.

Just fyi, if you're really curious to find out his breed or mix, your vets office can run a dna test on him. I had one done on my dog Bailey when I first adopted him because I was curious to know so I could do as much research as possible on any health conditions that are common in his breed/mix. His rescue had posted him on Petfinder as a poodle/shih tzu mix but I seriously doubted he has any Shih Tzu in him. The dna test came back only identifying the poodle part but not the other breed he was mixed with...so it's definitely not always exactly accurate...but in Bailey's case he is mostly poodle so it came back saying any other breed he had in him would be less than 10%. So at least you can have the dominant breed identified, if you really want to.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I know what he is! He's a mixture of Cuteness, Preciousness and Adorable-ness! :wub: I can't wait to see more pictures. Welcome to Spoiled Maltese!

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
What a cutie pie! I'm guessing he is a Coton or Havanese. So adorable ♥

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Here is a pic of Ray the coton de Tulear at about the same age. Your dog looks very much like Ray, but Ray's body is longer than the height to the withers. Full grown he weighs 12. 3 pounds.

If they have a haircut it is very hard to tell any of these similar breeds apart. The coton hair does feel like cotton and has a wave.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I know what he is! He's a mixture of Cuteness, Preciousness and Adorable-ness! :wub: I can't wait to see more pictures. Welcome to Spoiled Maltese!
I agree with Robin! He is so beautiful no matter what breed. Like others have said too, I would guess Havanese or Coton. Glad you joined us at SM! We are lovers of all breeds, the only requirement of this forum is that you spoil your baby :)

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Thank you everyone for your replies. I was always suspicious of his breed. I looked into each breed mentioned but the coton de tulear really stood out. I looked at several pictures of that breed and honestly he reminds me a lot of the breed especially his traits. I just felt like he was just way too big to be a maltese. I have previously looked into a maltese mix with other breeds but never really saw any of them stand out. Even as a puppy, he didn't look like a full breed maltese. I am still looking into the coton de tulear. I think this may be it. He is only 7 months old and is still growing therefore in the future he still wouldn't fall under the standards of a maltese. My dog's name is Bentley. I don't really care if he isn't full breed or if he isn't a maltese (even though i love love love the breed). I just really want to know for his health and what to expect. I feel as a good owner, I should be educated on what my dog is and what I need to do. Thank you everyone.
Bentley is a very cuuuute name :wub:
I also see more coton in him. Actually, he reminds me of a Kirby coton de tulear :wub: Kirby is my online friend's coton(who has 3 and one of them, Kirby, is the long legs type. I do love that Kirby, so I did learn, with interest about him. You dont find the lond legs cotons as often these days. The breed has changed through out the years, but within a litter, a long legged one can pop up, from my learning/reading about Kirby) .. as i promised , here are his pictures in order to relate to why he reminded me of one ..
Kirby is the coton in your right hand side of this bellow picture. Interesting fact, but the coton in your left hand side was bred by the same reputable breeder as Kirbys.

Here is a closer look of the two cotons from the same coton breeder

Same breeder, but u can notice the difference in size

Looking at Bentley's 4th and 5th pictures (seeing that cuuute nose as well) does remind me of Kirby's adorable teddy bearish nose:wub:

I so want a Bentley :wub: he looks sooooo huggable. I hope to learn more about him and see more pictures :wub: happy that you joined ^_^

1 - 20 of 35 Posts