Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't heard one good, happy, healthy story of a Maltese yet :( Are all Maltese going to become sick and die? Everyone on this board has stories about how their Malt died at 6 months old... 5 years old... just young! Are their any HEALTHY Malts out there!?!? Seriously, it's depressing to be getting a Maltese and not hear one happy story on this board :(

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
My Preston is perfectly healthy, and he is also from a reputable show breeder.

The reason why people are sharing their stories of their puppymill/backyard breeder dogs who were sick is because you are supporting a puppymill. They are just trying to warn you that you need to be prepared in the (likely) case that your puppy is very ill. It could cost thousands upon thousands of dollars in vet costs if the puppy ends up having a genetic problem. I think everyone feels like no matter how many warnings they give, you either just don't understand or are choosing to support a puppymill anyway rather than walk away from the deal (even though you may be out a few hundred dollars).

EDIT: I'm sorry for coming across as so negative, but I just don't know how else to say it. The members here are only trying to educate and help you make a good decision. You may end up with a healthy Maltese (or Maltese mix possibly), and if you do, be very thankful.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I got Nikki from a small show breeder. Like many people and animals, she isn't absolutely perfect. She has a minor health issue, but there are no symptoms, and all of her blood work is normal. She's in great health, and a very happy little girl. The only time we see the vet is for yearly blood work.

I had a Bichon Frise before her that I got from a pet shop. She was sick her entire life.

The reason why you read about health issues a lot on this forum, is because people come here seeking help when their dog is not feeling well.

You don't usually see posts that read, "Hi, my dog is healthy and happy and has no issues at all."

KWIM?

The key to having a happy healthy Maltese is getting it from a good breeder, feeding it proper food, letting it live in a non-toxic environment, and giving it lots of attention and LOVE.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Bogie came from a BYB. I got him before I even knew what that meant. I don't think he is a pure bred Maltese. In fact I am almost sure he has mix in him. He is however 5 and half and healthy. He has had vaccine reactions, but other than that he is fine. I think the reason you hear so much about sick Maltese is beacause no one bothers to post about their healthy dogs, other than to show pictures sometimes. I have a number of friends that have Maltese, and for the most part they are healthy. Many Maltese live to over 15. Check Maltese rescue and see how many older, healthy Maltese are out there,. (way too many).

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I got Nikki from a small show breeder. Like many people and animals, she isn't absolutely perfect. She has a minor health issue, but there are no symptoms, and all of her blood work is normal. She's in great health, and a very happy little girl. The only time we see the vet is for yearly blood work.

I had a Bichon Frise before her that I got from a pet shop. She was sick her entire life.

The reason why you read about health issues a lot on this forum, is because people come here seeking help when their dog is not feeling well.

You don't usually see posts that read, "Hi, my dog is healthy and happy and has no issues at all."

KWIM?

The key to having a happy healthy Maltese is getting it from a good breeder, feeding it proper food, letting it live in a non-toxic environment, and giving it lots of attention and LOVE.
Amen!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Of course. But why would anybody be posting about their healthy pets on a board geared towards health problems?

I have an 11 1/2 year old who gets nothing other than routine care and dental cleanings. My 4 year old is very athletic...an occasional strain from blasting about and routine dental care is about it for him these days.

I've had the local mill dog who died at age 3 (GME). I had the dog with genetic liver problems who made it to age 5.

Breeding is not a science, but having a breeder who knows their pedigrees and is making careful, educated decisions about breeding gives a much higher chance of a healthy pup than a breeder who tosses two dogs together to have some pups.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
You joined a month ago. Have you read the MANY threads here?

There are thousands of threads, featuring healthy/happy Maltese.
Read up.

Mine are all rescues. They have/are/were, living a wonderful life,
with the exception of my Sammie, they all lived a full life. Many
had issues, but were dealt with, thru myself and rescue.

As far as supporting/condoning poor breeding practices, well that's
on your head. Once again, read up.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Cosy and Toy are both healthy little girls. I think you are basing your findings on a forum where many come to ask opinions or experience in different health issues, so it seems most are unhealthy, when, in fact, most are healthy if coming from a reputable breeder.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
My Sam who I got from a small show breeder lived to almost 16; she had a heart murmur the last few years but was otherwise perfectly healthy. She did have bad teeth but that was as much from my ignorance on proper care as anything.

Sweetness who is 2 came from another small show breeder and she is perfectly healthy. She had a UTI a few months back but is otherwise healthy.

Tessa is a rescue so I don't know her history.

Many times people come to this forum looking for suggestions, help, and prayers for their fluffs. If you browse the Pictures section, you'll see many more healthy fluffs that you don't hear about in the Health section.

There is no guarantee that any dog you get will be healthy; getting a pup from a breeder who shows, and is committed to the health and improvement of the breed, greatly improves your chances.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
I had posted and told you about Archie's legs being bad....he's from a pet shop (puppy mill).

Abbey and Ava are very healthy. :thumbsup: I didn't know you wanted to know about dogs that I got from better breeders.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay thanks to everyone who knows my situation and posted positive things. as for the others who were being rude, no thanks.. sorry. i'm usually a pretty tolerant person and take everyones advice. i've taken as much advice as i can - but i can't control my life! MY PARENTS DO. they won't let me change breeders or say "no" to a cheap dog. SORRY!
yes, i've been on here for only a month. i've actually spent many hours looking at old threads and recent ones. don't try to tell me what i haven't done. i HAVE listened to everyone and i've been taking all the info very well.
PLUS, i've posted threads. i didn't ask about how unhealthy everyone's dogs were. i wanted to know positive things too. I CAN'T HELP THAT I'M NOW SUPPORTING A PUPPYMILL. i've already said i'll never buy from a breeder again and my parents will never let me change my choice on this dog. will you stop beating me up about it? why is everyone so negative? only a couple people on here have actually said "at least she'll be in a good home now" instead of saying "you're going to be paying $15,000 in vet bills and then she's going to die." i understand i'll be paying $10,000 a year on her now.
sorry to be a complete witch, but i keep getting told the same thing over and over and over again that i've already taken in and completely understand. repeating yourself isn't going to help me at all.
and then i decided to post it under the "health" section because i figured that's where it goes. i understand it's a place where you usually post about sick animals. but mine wasn't.

once again, thanks to everyone who was actually nice and understands the situation.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You joined a month ago. Have you read the MANY threads here?

There are thousands of threads, featuring healthy/happy Maltese.
Read up.

Mine are all rescues. They have/are/were, living a wonderful life,
with the exception of my Sammie, they all lived a full life. Many
had issues, but were dealt with, thru myself and rescue.

As far as supporting/condoning poor breeding practices, well that's
on your head. Once again, read up.
i HAVE "read up." have you even looked at my threads to understand? probably not.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
That is one thing I am frustrated about forums. People come to forums only if they want informations or if they need help. When there is no problems, you don't hear from them. What they don't understand is that if nobody posts, the forum is going to be inactive and after a while close down and not be there the day they need it. So in order for a forum to survive, it needs thousand of people, but the majority of the people posting are having problems and this gives the impression that something is wrong with the breed. It does not help with the bashing of BYB, even with the good intention of educating people, all it does is scaring people. All they get out of this is that there is no such thing as a healthy Maltese, especially not if they cannot fork out between a 1,000 and 3,000 $. I can see it again and again, you start all out with good intentions and then get carried away. And you forget that even dogs coming from show breeders have LUXATING PATELLAS, one of the common things mentioned for not going with a BYB. Some illnesses come up only later in the life of the dog. Have you forgotten that a 7 years old dog is an old dog ? He is a senior like you will be after your sixties ! And that's when the **** will hit the fan ! people or dogs ! It's not nice getting older. It's certainly not getting better. Sorry but I had to vent.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Shelby,

I hope your pup has a great long healthy life. I know you tried to educate your parents and they are going to do what they want to do and its no reflection on you. There are lots of poorly bred Maltese that live long healthy lives, and there are also some reputable breeders who breed a dog that ends up with some health issue.

Don't take everything said on a forum so personally. And those on the forum who have tried the "scare " tactics, please try to put yourself in this teenagers place. She is not in a position to heed any of your warnings. In fact stop scaring this kid. This forum is to be positive and helpful....so lets all try to be. She should be commended for trying to educate herself and learn how to care for her pup.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Have you forgotten that a 7 years old dog is an old dog ? He is a senior like you will be after your sixties ! .
While 7 years old is considered "old" for a large breed dog, especially the giant breeds, a 7 year old toy dog is not at all old. I would consider them middle aged but definitely not "old". Toy dogs have a lifespan of 15-20 years if they are healthy and well cared for.

To the OP - my aunt has had Maltese that have lived to be 19 and 20 so yes, there are plenty of healthy Maltese out there. I think what everyone has tried to stress to you is that you have a MUCH better chance of having a genetically healthy dog if you buy from a reputable breeder. Because backyard breeders and mills don't know their lines and don't health screen, you have a lot higher chance of getting a dog with health issues. Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones and get a dog that is in very good health and will live a very long time. I hate the thought of anyone supporting a puppymill but I do realize that you are a teenager and not in control of this situation...I just hope you'll take good care of your new puppy and learn as much as you can to make good choices when it comes to buying/adopting dogs in the future.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Shelby, I know your situation because, trust me, I've been there. Just be happy with your baby, keep trying to teach your parents, learn from this experience, and post lots of pictures. :)

Maltese are a healthy breed, but like most breeds, have genetic problems that need to be paid attention to. Puppy mills don't pay attention to them, but that doesn't mean your puppy won't be perfectly healthy. Don't worry, okay. Just have fun! :)

That being said, I hope that Alice will live a long, healthy, and happy life! :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I don't remember if I responded to your other thread or not. My oldest Maltese Mia from a BYB had hypoglycemia, has LP4 and very shallow hip sockets and is guaranteed to get arthritis.

My second Cody is from a BYB that needed to rehome him. He has LP2 on one knee besides that totally healthy to date.

My third KCee is a puppy mill rescue besides his over bite and LP1 one on knee totally healthy to date.

Bella my fourth from a reputable breeder knock on wood totally healthy to date.

I don't know what their future holds but you can bet anything I will do whatever it takes in my power to keep them healthy. Including good food, not over vaccinating and feeding supplements. I would love them to be around until they are 15-17 years.:blush:

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts