Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Rex seems to be doing better until about an hour before him medicine, then he starts scratching. When I was using my cortaid stick for my mosquito bites this morning, I started thinking. Is there something that I could spray on Rex to help relieve some of the itching betweek his 2-3x a week baths?
When the vet called this morning to check on him I told them that I wasnt sure that the antihistime was holding out long enough for him, they said it make take a few days to get going in his system good. He is also on prescription shampoo that we started yesterday. I just wish there was something more I could do to make him more comfortable. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Just like with people, sometimes you have to experiment to find the antihistamine that works best. Lady has inhaled and some food allergies and would you believe she gets Zyrtec?

Since she takes seizure meds, we were limited with what she can take. The only safe one was Bendryl which turned her into a zombie. She was so sedated she couldn't even walk. My vet called the vet school and they recommended Zyrtec. It does a great job for her with a once a day dose. A neighbor's Westie gets Allegra.

Have you added fish oil? My vet recommended that and it made huge difference in Lady's Spring allergies this year.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jul 5 2005, 01:26 PM
Just like with people, sometimes you have to experiment to find the antihistamine that works best. Lady has inhaled and some food allergies and would you believe she gets Zyrtec?

Since she takes seizure meds, we were limited with what she can take. The only safe one was Bendryl which turned her into a zombie. She was so sedated she couldn't even walk. My vet called the vet school and they recommended Zyrtec. It does a great job for her with a once a day dose. A neighbor's Westie gets Allegra.

Have you added fish oil? My vet recommended that and it made huge difference in Lady's Spring allergies this year.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78259
[/QUOTE]

How would I add fish oil? Does it come in a tablet ? I am not familiar with fish oil.
Thanks!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom+Jul 5 2005, 01:28 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Jul 5 2005, 01:26 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78259
How would I add fish oil? Does it come in a tablet ? I am not familiar with fish oil.
Thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78260
[/B][/QUOTE]

Fish oil really helps with allergies.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=666

I give Lady the 3V caps.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/product.asp?pn=23-260&ss=3v

·
Registered
7,621 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Carrie@Jul 5 2005, 01:42 PM
I found this:

Drs. Foster and Smith

Hope this helps.

-c
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78274
[/QUOTE]

That sounds like something he could use too, at least until everything else starts working. I am going to have to see if Petsmart or something carries that. I dont want to wait for it to come in the mail, he needs it now!
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
You may want to check with your vet to see if they have something.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Marilyn, Lady gets both Nupro and 3V caps per my vet to boost her immune system and help with her allergies.

Rex's Mom, you can just get human fish oil capsules and poke a hole in them and squirt it on Rex's food if you don't want to wait to order them. I started with that, but found that the hole disappears quickly so you're shootin' blind! I got more fish oil all over me and my kitchen than Lady's food!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
they have hydrocortisone sprays and creams u can use...there is also a spray called genesis that is really great but it is a big gun, so i would use this if very severe. there is a leave on cream that is called resicort that is very good also (it contains hydrocortisone) both of those u have to get from a vet or get ur vet to write a prescription. i know some petstores carry hydrocortisone creams..i dont know if they are the same strength or not.

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">I also experienced this with Peaches in the past. I bought her an anti itch spray from petsmart and it didnt work all. It was almost like it irritated her even more
. Thanks to Ladysmom
, I took her advice and started to add fish oil in her diet and It worked! Try getting some 3V caps and see how that works....</span>

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I probably would not use genesis spray. Did the vet mention perhaps a short course of steroids? That often helps while other things kick in. A spray like Dermacool (with hydrocortisone) would be effective.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Jolie has trouble with itchy skin. The vet gave me a leave in cream rinse called Relief. I think they also make a Relief shampoo. That seems to help her at this time of the year.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to go up to Rite Aid today and see if they have the fish oil for humans like Ladysmom mentioned, that way I can get him on them without having to wait for the ones in the mail. Rex seems to be okay at the moment. I have to wash him in the morning again. He goes to the vet on the 12th for a follow up and I am going to ask about the prescription sprays that LadyMontava mentioned. I dont want anything to counteract with the medicines and shampoo he is already on. Anyway that is my daily Rex update! Oh, his hair is growing fast, it is already long enough for me to mess it up!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Is the fish oil ok for allergies that make their eyes tear? My Kylee doesnt have an itchy skin problem but a tearing problem when she is on the rug in our living room...would the fish oil help with that?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Have you had the carpet professionally cleaned? Do you use a powder or spray on it when you vacuum? If it is an allergy from the carpet, it would make more sense to address the source than try to bandaid it. I think a topical eye drop would be more effective, although, fatty acid supplements are good for inhalent allergies.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Are the eye drops something that I get from the vet? We just steam cleaned it ourselves about a week ago but it hasnt helped...do you think that having it professionaly done would be better? We dont sprinkle anything on it when we vacuum..the last thing we used on it was the solution we steam cleaned it with...it was a specially formulated one for houses with pets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts