Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Kobe, 3 months, Maltese
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over spoiling? Any time I sit down my Kobe is by my side jumping up and if I pick him up he curls up and goes right to sleep. If I don’t he will do 1 of 2 things. Give up and go to his bed and go to sleep after barking at me for a couple of minutes or go tear something up (usually a pee pad). I can’t hold him always as I work from home and I want him to learn how to self sooth also because I can’t always be here. I feel bad though. We have our quality time too but am I being a bad mama?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Over spoiling? Any time I sit down my Kobe is by my side jumping up and if I pick him up he curls up and goes right to sleep. If I don’t he will do 1 of 2 things. Give up and go to his bed and go to sleep after barking at me for a couple of minutes or go tear something up (usually a pee pad). I can’t hold him always as I work from home and I want him to learn how to self sooth also because I can’t always be here. I feel bad though. We have our quality time too but am I being a bad mama?
No you are not being a bad mama. It seems to me that when you pick him up when he jumps on you , you are encouraging him to keep doing that. It would probably be good to ignore him when he does that. But soon after he is on the floor . Perhaps you could tell him to Go lay down. if he doesn’t know how to do that, take a treat and show it to him as you walk it to his bed. Then when he lays down give it to him and praise him. Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts