Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could get your advice. Should I get Tessa spayed at out local humane society. It would cost me over $150 less than at the vet. But I'm not sure if that is a bad idea seeing as how the vet wanted to do bloodwork. What do you guys think???

Thanks, miss you guys,

Nousha and Tessa

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by AJ@Sep 2 2005, 01:11 PM
I was thinking about the same thing also, when the time comes.  What is the average cost of spaying, I want to know if my vet is over charging....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96529
[/QUOTE]

It woud cost me $200 and I have another dog I need to spay as well so the cost at the humane society would save me a lot of money but I don't want to put either of them at any kind of risk....thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by ourprettytessa+Sep 2 2005, 04:13 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-AJ
@Sep 2 2005, 01:11 PM
I was thinking about the same thing also, when the time comes.  What is the average cost of spaying, I want to know if my vet is over charging....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96529

It woud cost me $200 and I have another dog I need to spay as well so the cost at the humane society would save me a lot of money but I don't want to put either of them at any kind of risk....thanks for your reply!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96530
[/B][/QUOTE]
Wow, the vet would cost me double!!!! There is another place that I was thinking of thats cheaper, but I just want to go to the one thats best. I totally understand what you mean.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I wish I had gotten Pixie spayed at humane society because the only difference would have been the price. I found out (later, naturally) that the same vet that did Pixie's spay does a lot of humane society spays. You live and learn I suppose.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I didn't even ask the price when mine were neutered.
Because I love and trust my vet and wouldn't want anyone but him touching my babies. His practice has a very well stocked operating room with the latest monitoring equipment, a laser, etc. The Humane Society probably does a fine job but I just feel much more comfortable with the vet and vet practice that I and K & C are used to. I think if I had a vet I didn't trust so much, then I might look elsewhere and compare, etc.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I think each shelter is different, but I recall when I got my cat through the Humane Society in DC, I paid a fee (maybe $50) and got a voucher for a spay at a vet that they used in my area of the city. I was going to use this vet anyway, and he didn't charge any additional fee for the spay. Here, the ASPCA does low cost spay and neuter, but I always assumed that was an income based program...but I don't know for sure. It certainly couldn't hurt to call and ask a few questions. Good luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies, you guys have always been so helpful. xoxoox

i called the humane society and they looking to hire a vet so i would have to wait and that could take months. tessa is 7 months old, when do maltese usually go through heat??

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I went through my vet simply because I trust him. Luckily for me, my vet understands that things don't have to cost a fortune and really loves animals, not trying to become rich. I tried to have Frosty & Dafney spayed at the same time. I opted to the more extensive bloodwork done on both girls, but was more worried about Frosty with her being half Daf's size. Surprisingly, Dafney had elevated levels (don't remember what) and the vet was not comfortable doing the spaying until we rechecked a couple of weeks later. He charges $70 just for the spaying, then if you wanted bloodwork, pain meds, etc. there were additional fees. I had the bloodwork, pain meds, monitoring, etc. (all the bells and whistles) and for both girls spent approx. $400.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I wouldn't wait too long because I think maltese can go into heat early. Also, I think its important to do bloodwork to prevent negative effects that anesthesia could cause. I totally understand about money problems though!

By the way, we are moving to Santa Barbara at the end of the month (where my husband has been living from August). I will be asking you for a vet/groomer you like to use for Tessa when you get a chance!!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
If I were you, I would not wait any longer. She can go in heat anytime now. My vet also does work for the Houston SPCA. Maybe the difference in price has also something to do with the blood work. Without that, it's cheaper too.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My co-worker's dog went into heat when it was 7 months old. So I would not wait too much longer.

f a dog is spayed prior to the first heat, the odds of developing mammary cancer later in life are less than 1%. If spayed between the first and second heat periods the risk increases to about 8%. If spayed at any time after the second heat period, the risk of mammary cancer is about 25% in the dog (same as in an unspayed dog). There are no reasons not to spay prior to the first heat that I am aware of. A few dogs do develop incontinence from low estrogen levels after spaying but this does not appear to be affected much by the time the dog is spayed. Some dogs just develop this problem after spaying.[/B]

·
Registered
194 Posts
My vet is the best. For anyone around northeast ms, Dr. Ellis in Amory will spay or neuter your dog or cat for a reduced charge. It cost me $40 to get Kaylee fixed. She is a member of WAGS. I always forget what that stands for.
Also she is so sweet. Kaylee loves all of her staff.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Does your humane society actually do the spaying there or give you a voucher to take to a vet on their list?

Here you can get a voucher for a $75 spay through the SPCA. A co-worker did that and thought she would save so much money. The truth is, she still had to pay extra for the bloodwork and the pain shot, etc, so it really wasn't much cheaper than if she had gone to her regular vet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.