Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Bandit is not a maltese he's a shih tzu but, was hoping someone had some info !!!!!
Bandit is a 11 week old shih tzu. I got him from a 16 year old girl who's mom wouldn't let her keep him after he tore up there couch. I don't no much about him the girl got him off craigslist from a couple in RI about a week later when my husband so the girl again (she is a customer @ our store) he said you didnt tell me he has a temper ...the girls reply was oh you just hit him when he's fresh (really so glad she couldnt keep him)!!!!
Problem is when i pick him up to go in his pen or because he's doing something he shouldn't he goes nuts viciously trying to bite me growling, biting and thrashing his body around to try to get me .... everyone tells me its puppy temper he will grow out of im not so sure ... He plays great with Snowflake and he is good with kids... he flips out when i try to move him from a area or pick him up (except for when i picking him up out of his pen than hes lovey dovey)
Has anyone experienced this????
What should I do????

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I usually don't answer these types of questions but I am admittedly not the most knowledgable on training type of questions but in my experience of raising puppies, this does not seem like normal behavior for an 11 week old puppy. He's not just playing, right? This seems like a true act of aggression to you?

Most likely, since he is still so young and already on his second home, he was taken away from mom and litter mates too early and didn't learn the important lessons a puppy learns from playing and engaging with mom and siblings.

As far as what you can do about this, I will leave that up to the training experts!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Maybe he is scared because he was hit in his home before your home?
Maybe he needs help from a behaviourist?
And time to trust...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have groomed several shih tzu puppy's that act this way, don't know if it is something with this breed but I will be brushing them and all is going good and out of no where they attack. Don't know what to tell you though!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I wouldn't think it's normal. Talk to him so he knows you are near, use lots of high value treats when you want to pick him up, slow and easy movements around him, lots of easy petting so he learns hands don't hurt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i may be new to the world of maltese, but im not new to the world of dog training and behaivior!

he does seem overly aggressive. this could be partly from the hitting. it also could be just from being a small dog. when you are that small and you are constantly being picked up and thrown around (hopefully not litterally) you may feel like your only way to controll the situation is to "force" people to set you down. he is probobly just afraid and feels like he has no controll. infact, it is just like a baby who screams and cries to get its way. it is the only way that they know to communicate. gracie used to do this once in a while when i would pick her up from her toy and she really wanted to get down.

first of all, when you are going to pick him up, dont do anything too abrupt, as that can startle him. i would recommend that when he does this behaivior, you hold his mouth closed and head still (not to strong of a grip though!). once he is calm for a few seconds, let him down so he knows that he can only be let down if he is calm and he will realize that his previous technique doesnt work!
hope i helped!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
most people here have only delt with maltese who are very sweet and always willing to let you do whatever you want to them (well almost), but imagine how scary everything would be if you were that small!!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I haven't experienced this, but there was a Yorkie puppy in Karli's Puppy Class who was aggressive to it's owner in a very similiar manner. Puppy Class and some individual training with the trainer made a huge difference in the puppy.

Would you consider taking the puppy to a trainer or veterinary behaviorist? If you take the puppy to a trainer or behaviorist at this age, it needs to be in a clean environment because of infectious disease risks. For example, don't take the puppy to a class at a place like PetSmart where you don't know the vaccination status of dogs that visit the store.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Josey is a Shih Tzu. She is super sweet and lovey dovey all the time. She is a complete love bug that loves to be held and sitting on your lap, and she loves everyone. The Shih Tzu breed is very sweet natured and has a wonderful happy go lucky temperament. The aggression could be coming from the breeding lines (pedigree) and/or, the abuse he's suffered with the previous owner. I agree with vjw, get Bandit enrolled into a puppy obedience class. The instructor will not only help you with basic training, but, one on one training with Bandit and how you should react in specific situations. I love Victoria Stilwell as a trainer, as, she's all about positive reinforcement. Stilwell always uses treats to reward the correct behavior and she ignores the unwanted behavior. I feel Bandit is young enough for you to turn this situation around, but, you will need to commit some time, work, and expense into helping Bandit. The Shih Tzu breed is very much like the Maltese breed. Shih Tzu are companion dogs. They thrive and are happiest when they are spending time with their owner/owners. My thought to why Bandit chewed up the sofa previously, is that Bandit was left alone for long extended periods of time. He was destructive out of boredom. Shih Tzu puppies and all puppies need human interaction, along with toys and chew bones. The socialization of other puppies his size and age are important for Bandit's development, along with the proper training for his aggressiveness. Also, in a basic puppy class, Bandit will learn how to walk on a lead. It's important to get Bandit out for walks for physical and mental stimulation, too. Walking him right before bedtime and in the am, before work is also important. All of these factors add up to a happy and well adjusted puppy. Best of luck to you and please, keep me posted. :)

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
If that little dog has been abused in his previous house, look no further. He associates being picked up with hitting and he defends himself with the only way he knows. You will have to get him to thrust people again and show him that being picked up does not mean he will get hit. This will take patience on your part. He will not loose that "instinct" over night. Pick him up slowly, give him a treat, cuddle him in your arms so he will start to see that being picked up can be a good thing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all your advice. I am going to contact a trainer and have her come out to my house . He can't attend classes yet because he has not all done with his shots. He is an adorable little guy . He's a good boy except for being picked up so i'm definetly going to work on him and seek help with a trainer esp. since I have kids in the house and another furbaby !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
I really can't comment on training but I do know that Jodi doesn't like being scooped up from above and when he is back on to the person, his legs go everywhere and he's scared. If I say "Up" he faces me and gets up on his back legs while I hold him around his body , under the front legs...like a baby, then lift him. He's more content and feels safer bec he can see where he's going and who has him.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am so happy Bandit is doing so much better. I contacted my vet and a trainer The trainer said everything I am already doing with him is right and to be consistent and he should completely stop it. He will start attending puppy kindergarten as soon as he is up to date on his shots which will be Sept. 17th. Thanks everyone for your advice :)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
dolce is the exact way ..
I really can't comment on training but I do know that Jodi doesn't like being scooped up from above and when he is back on to the person, his legs go everywhere and he's scared. If I say "Up" he faces me and gets up on his back legs while I hold him around his body , under the front legs...like a baby, then lift him. He's more content and feels safer bec he can see where he's going and who has him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts