Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just joined as I need more info. I was looking at getting another maltese and was looking at a breeders pedigree, and was quite shocked! I don't know much about breeding but for sure this has to be wrong right? I'll include a photo. Is this in-breeding or normal?? This seems really gross and unhealthy to me.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Software

·
Super Moderator
10,413 Posts
When show breeders have a wonderful finished champion or grand champion, you might find this. The fact that absolutely none of their lineage has the champion or grand champion designation makes me think this breeder is only after money and not interested in producing excellent examples of the breed. I would suggest looking elsewhere and find someone who is a member of the American Maltese Association and who follows their code of ethics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When show breeders have a wonderful finished champion or grand champion, you might find this. The fact that absolutely none of their lineage has the champion or grand champion designation makes me think this breeder is only after money and not interested in producing excellent examples of the breed. I would suggest looking elsewhere and find someone who is a member of the American Maltese Association and who follows their code of ethics.
I'm in Australia and have not seen any designations in pedigree charts before. The breeder who had chaniekan esky mojo is also a show judge so I'm just not really sure what to think.
Even if chaniekan esky mojo was a champion would this still not cause health issues?

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
If he had health issues, or had a recessive gene for a health issue, it might. But if he was a remarkably healthy dog, he might have remarkably healthy offspring. The mother is important in all this, too. Genetics is a complicated thing!

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
I did some internet snooping -- the pedigree for the other parent (male) does indicate several champions in HIS pedigree. So it may be that the dog that appeared several times in the female's pedigree you posted actually was not a champion. Does the breeder in question show her dogs before breeding, to know if they will be good and healthy examples of the breed? They are pretty young.

But sometimes a wonderful dog just does not have the temperament to enjoy all that is involved in showing, so lack of championship alone does not mean it's not a good dog ....

Oh, dear ... Maybe look for pictures of her dogs, have long conversations about the ancestry, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a puppy through this breeder recently puppy is showing neurological problems and have a vet appointment tomorrow to do some testing , I'm assuming this might be the reason my puppy is having problems
What a shame this has happened

·
Registered
2 Posts
The vet has recommended he gets sent back to the breeders,
Too many abnormalities they said I'm just waiting to pick him up than I'll have a list of problems they did find , they didn't see him have a seizure or the neurological problems I have seen him do . He mainly does it at night time after he goes to the toilet
I'll post update tonight after I try to contact the breeder again

·
Registered
5 Posts
The vet has recommended he gets sent back to the breeders,
Too many abnormalities they said I'm just waiting to pick him up than I'll have a list of problems they did find , they didn't see him have a seizure or the neurological problems I have seen him do . He mainly does it at night time after he goes to the toilet
I'll post update tonight after I try to contact the breeder again
Have them check for a liver shunt. Mine was born with one and had similar symptoms. Not sure if breeder knew or not.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,172 Posts
To test for liver shut ask vet for a BAT---2 pronged testing for bile acids. It is not w/the other blood tests they do but it is well worth the extra cost. That is how we determined years ago that our Kirby had a liver shunt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts