Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I got an idea from someone and I was wondering, do any of your Malts understand another language?

I have been speaking to Max in Maltese since he was just a pup and by gosh he understands me....he he :HistericalSmiley:it is only simple commands like come (aya) and so on.

My mom gets a kick out of it when I am on the phone with her and I call him over and he jogs over to me to say hello, yes he barks into the phone she is in Florida...

To Kiss (bew'sa) you all from Maxie

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Bisou is!

I speak to her in English and my husband speaks to her in French...she'll obey/listen to both of us- in both languages. (she'll listen to our friends in French or English too)

I've noticed though she doesn't listen to Mandarin at all, so she's not tri-lingual. lol.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
yes my dog understands english and spanish , i think just like kids they are open to learn diff languages.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Haha, great idea!! Why didn't I think of that? I'm going to teach my pups Mandarin, Taiwanese, and some elementary French.

When I first got Bijou, I did try talking Korean to her, but she didn't appear to understand it. I only know basic Korean and some Korean food words, though...like "beef," "chicken," and "spicy bean curd casserole." Ahahaha.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Bilingual???

Mi babies understand both languages, english and Spanish. Commands however, I do in english it just does not sound as cruel :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I talk in a voice that is exclusive to fluffs - my husband thinks I'm nutty -

When our neighbors dog gets loose, he'll ask me to "talk in that funny voice", so that Daisy (his fluff) will hear me, and come running back (she knows there's always a treat waiting, when I call her name).

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I first got Bijou, I did try talking Korean to her, but she didn't appear to understand it. I only know basic Korean and some Korean food words, though...like "beef," "chicken," and "spicy bean curd casserole." Ahahaha.
Wow! Bijouu did not understand "spicy bean curd casserole"?? Ridiculous. :LOL:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I feel really out of it. My pups only speak one language, what the heck? :(

I know all about the fluff voice, Sandcastles. My wife uses that voice with the pups allllllllllll the time. They really do respond to it.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I taught Star basic sign language signs - sit, eat, no, come, etc. I will do the same when another fluff comes into my life.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
nope - he doesn't even understand basic english commands - couldn't teach him anything like "sit" as he might have done that in the ring.

He does know "stand", "walk" "head down" (for topknot), "treats", "who's there?" (someone at the door) though.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Bisou is!

I speak to her in English and my husband speaks to her in French...she'll obey/listen to both of us- in both languages. (she'll listen to our friends in French or English too)

I've noticed though she doesn't listen to Mandarin at all, so she's not tri-lingual. lol.
That's cute, Andrea! I think she obey to both of you because she has grown up with it like children, Lol!

I also tried to talk to Ullana in english but it seems that she can't understand me! Her face says something like: mommy, what the **** are you talking about?
May be I've started to late with it, :LOL:!
In our vacation in Italy she always started barking if people talked to her in italian! I think she's also not in roman languages, :HistericalSmiley:!

Alexandra :wub:

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
yes my dog understands english and spanish , i think just like kids they are open to learn diff languages.

Yep, Aolani understands the words he's learned in english and the one command he's learned in spanish becuase "bed" and "beg" sounds too much alike. So I started using "vaya a la cama" which means "got to the bed" or just "cama" instead of bed and my mom was really impressed. However, now when I say anythign to him in spanish like "eres malcriado" meaning you're a bad boy, he goes right to the bed :HistericalSmiley: He must think that silly language is the command for bed LOL. Like Pat, he also knows the hand signals for sit and lay.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Both Lizzie and Rhaegar know French and English. My husband speaks to them in French and I speak to them in English. What my husband says most to Lizzie is tais-toi :HistericalSmiley:She tend to be a little more mouthy than Rhaegar. :blush:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bisou is!

Oh Bisou, your so smart english and french. :chili:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha, great idea!! Why didn't I think of that? I'm going to teach my pups Mandarin, Taiwanese, and some elementary French.

Oh your too funny, thats great what is the word sit and come in Korean I may want Max to speak Korean too...he he :chili:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does sign language count? My dogs know "sit" and "down" by signals I give them. :unsure:
Wow Pat, a couple of you have sign language thats just awesome....:thumbsup: Proves my point they are just to smart these Malts...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts