Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. Today i was holding Bella and breathing in her fur and an overwhelming sense of peace just washed over me. I got Bella because I wanted a baby girl (im talking about a human baby girl) but I'm not married and I'm still in school completing my Masters, and unfortuntely, I don't have the resources to adopt on my own. Did anyone else get a maltese because they want a child? I'm just curious. I've been getting a lot of strange looks lately because I baby Bella like crazy, but no one seems to realize that she is my baby.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Ty is my "empty nest" baby. My son is getting married in3 weeks and lives far away. My daughter just moved to Utah and my house is empty. Ty fills that void. We sit in the rocking chair and rock at night. I kiss and cuddle him like I used to my skin kids
. My honey thinks I've gone off the deep end

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Yeah, my girls are my babies. A lot of my relatives think I'm nuts. To them a dog is a dog. My aunt told me over the weekend I should breed Nikki so I can get some of my money back. She doesn't seem to get it. At least my mom and dad understand. In my immediate family our pets have always been a part of our family. My mom and dad are the girls grandparents. I'm having my mom make Lexi and Nikki x-mas stockings.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is how attached I am: My friend is going to Italy soon and wanted me to go, but told me she knows I can't leave Bella for that long. Well, I don't have the money for Mc Donalds, much less Italy, but she's right. I might not ever leave Bella over night. I can't imagine.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I didn't plan on my first Maltese, Rosebud, to be my substitute baby but it sort of turned out that way. K & C are even more so, especially Catcher, since he is just sooo baby-like. And I, too, love to hold him close and breathe in his scent.... This breed is just so baby-like that it is easy to treat them like babies. They are so sensitive and sweet. I have to speak softly to mine. If my voice is raised at all, Catcher's little ears go down and he looks scared. I have to be gentle with them..... esp. Catcher.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
After having 2 human baby boys, I want a human baby girl too! Hubby says no more. So now I have my furry girls. I love to do their hair and sew for them. It fills the void somewhat. Although I'd still like a little baby girl with blue eyes and curly brown hair.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I think my nurturing instincts started to kick in right before I got Bella. I just needed to take care of something. It seems like most girls my age have children already or soon will. They also get a little defensive when I say Bella is my baby, but she is! I can't help it I'm so in love with her. I hold her on her back and cradle her like I would a baby and my family informs me that it's time I have a "real" child. My family loves her but they do see her the same way I do.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well, when I left Australia to come to live here in the US I left behind both my adult son and daughter and two wonderful grandchildren and my little Malt x Alfred. My hubby never had children so he inherited a distant instant family and he is just like their own father and grandpa to all of them, he has met them and loves them as they all do him. He wanted to bring Alfred back with us after our last trip down under but we just couldn't take him away from our little grandson because they are inseparable and grew together from baby and puppyhood. When we came back the house was just so empty so we decided to get ourselves our own little Malt, so along came Scooby Doo, and yes he is our special little baby, we love him like he is a human baby and treat him so as well. He has brought so much joy and love into our lives and we love him with all our hearts.

Here is a picture I took today after we had been to the store, and yep we bought him an new toy, as always, and he is standing up waiting to have it given to him the way he always does.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
i know what you mean, i needed my furbaby. now that i have her i feel so fullfilled. i rock my malitda and sing to her,
just like i use to do with my skinkids. everyone thinks i am nuts, i take her everywhere i go. if she isn't welcome i don't go. she brings so much love to me.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Another thought on this topc (great thread!).... Malts are just so humanlike. I hardly even think of mine as canine. There are days on the weekend when I may not even see another human if I am here all day. And I almost expect them to talk. They know everything I say and do and we just have such a great life together. They pick up on everything... I can't get anything passed them. They know what I'm going to do before I do it. They know every signal that I give that I don't even realize I'm doing.

I've also heard that Malts are baby-like because their weight at 5-7 pounds or so is the weight of a newborn baby.

·
Registered
35 Posts
WE don't even go out to dinner any more because we feel bad leaving our Jasmine. She is a little person in a little dog suit. My son calls her a sissy dog because we baby her so much. I swear she reads our minds because sometimes she knows what we are going to say before we say it. Does any one know how hard it is to type with a Malt on your lap? LOL

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My husband and I decided we don't want to have children of our own so our dogs are definitely our babies. We spoil them rotten and I really don't care if people think we are insane for loving them so much. I usually look at them like they are crazy not to love their dogs as much as I love mine. I sometimes wonder how I went so long without a dog! I really couldn't imagine my life without them.. they are such a huge part of everything I do. My sister, husband and I are going to visit my parents in a week and we are taking all 3 of the dogs with us.. my parents wouldn't dream of us not bringing the grandpuppies home to see them. My parents rock because they totally get how we feel about our dogs.. some of our other relatives aren't so understanding which means they will rarely get a visit from us now.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut and Tic are my little boys
This is just the wrong time to have children for me, and these guys are my babies
Peanut especially, I swear he's human. Call me crazy, but I talk to them all the time, and sometimes I think Peanut really understands me...He's just the sweetest thing. When I sneeze, he comes running from across the house to give me a kiss on the cheek and to check if I'm okay. I love these guys
My mom even carries them around like babies. It's the not so subtle hint that it's time for some grand-babies

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Another thought on this topc (great thread!).... Malts are just so humanlike. I hardly even think of mine as canine. There are days on the weekend when I may not even see another human if I am here all day. And I almost expect them to talk. They know everything I say and do and we just have such a great life together. They pick up on everything... I can't put anything past them. They know what I'm going to do before I do it. They know every signal that I give that I don't even realize I'm doing.
I can relate to you here K/C
, we have to spell things if we don't want Scooby to know what we are talking about, he knows everything. If we are talking and car comes up in the conversation his head pops up instantly
and he gives us the stare
, or if we talk about going somewhere he gets all excited thinking he is going out for a drive.
If we say we are going to the doctor he knows he has to stay home and goes back to whatever he was doing
, but if we say yes you are coming too he is like an excited child
who is going to the circus and carries on till the minute he is put in his car seat.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Harley is absolutely my little baby boy, without a doubt - even though he probably doesn't like being called a 'baby' anymore because he's a whole 15 months old now! I'm trying to call him my little man now so he doesn't get offended!

I didn't intend for him to be my baby when I got him, but since I did, I have kind of realised that at my age (35) and given the fact I am single with nothing on the horizon, I probably wont get to have children of my own - it makes me sad sometimes, but Harley fills that gap for me. If I have a bad day at work, I know everything is going to be ok when I get home because he will be here waiting to give me kisses & cuddles & cheer me up

I too am lucky that my family understand - my parents are his grandparents & his 'nana' comes to get him every afternoon from my house to look after him - I collect him on my way home from work. Weekends sometimes it's just me & him the whole time, unless we go out for a drive or coffee with friends - I will rarely go out without him at weekends - it's 'our' time, and if I do, I will always check to see if his 'nana' can look after him for a couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Jul 8 2005, 05:42 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jul 8 2005, 04:13 PM

Another thought on this topc (great thread!).... Malts are just so humanlike. I hardly even think of mine as canine. There are days on the weekend when I may not even see another human if I am here all day. And I almost expect them to talk. They know everything I say and do and we just have such a great life together. They pick up on everything... I can't put anything past them. They know what I'm going to do before I do it. They know every signal that I give that I don't even realize I'm doing.
I can relate to you here K/C
, we have to spell things if we don't want Scooby to know what we are talking about, he knows everything. If we are talking and car comes up in the conversation his head pops up instantly
and he gives us the stare
, or if we talk about going somewhere he gets all excited thinking he is going out for a drive.
If we say we are going to the doctor he knows he has to stay home and goes back to whatever he was doing
, but if we say yes you are coming too he is like an excited child
who is going to the circus and carries on till the minute he is put in his car seat.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=79515
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, I can just see all that.... a cute mental picture!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts