Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my puppy and I both have ringworm right now. Although it is not extreme for me, I feel as if it is for her. Because of the ringworm, I'm currently isolating my puppy alone in a room inside an xpen where I put wee pads and her toys. But she hates it so much, she freaks out that from sleeping next to my bed, she's now in another room alone. I feel so bad for her but I can't do much as well. I try to keep her entertain with chew toys but she just wants to go out. Any ideas and recommendations so that isolating her can be easier for both of us. I've just isolated her for 2 days and I try to engage with her but it's hard when I have to avoid touching her since she has it all over her body and all she wants is to sit on my lap.

Also is it healthy? For me to leave my puppy in the xpen all day? I feel terrible but the vet told me to isolate her.

Pray for my dogs health

·
Super Moderator
9,667 Posts
Did your vet confirm it was ringworm? There are topical antifungal that will take it right away. Do not use a medication prescribed for you on your pet or the other way around, because the formulations are different. I would verify with the vet it is a fungal infection you are dealing with.

I would think once you get verification, you could put the cream on your puppy and put a onsie on her and the two of you could spend all your time together. I would not isolate her. I would have the pen in the same room as you and clean the area regularly.

edited: to clean up some typos

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply! I just ordered 6 different pajamas for my puppy so that she can change pajamas every night before bedtime so in the mornings she can get some more freedom around the house. She definitely has ringworm since she infected me as well and the only source of ringworm to me is her since I'm quarantining at home with her 24/7. What kind of topical antifungal would you guys recommend? I'm currently using a topical ointment made by the vet. Also, I shampoo her once a week with virbac sebazole, however, I might consider malaseb shampoo. Do you guys recommend shampooing once or twice a week?

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I copied this from the AKC site and thought it may be helpful to post on this thread:

Treatment of Ringworm in Dogs
Your vet will diagnose your dog with ringworm by performing a diagnostic test, as well as a physical exam. He will probably take a sample of hair or skin cells for a fungal culture or examine infected hairs under a special ultraviolet light called a Wood’s lamp.

Once ringworm is diagnosed, your vet will discuss a treatment plan for your dog. This treatment plan depends on the severity of the case, the number of pets in the household, and whether or not there are children or immunocompromised adults in the home.

Treating ringworm in dogs usually consists of three steps:

1. Topical therapy
  2. Oral medications
  3. Environmental decontamination
Topical Therapy for Ringworm
Your veterinarian will probably recommend a topical therapy, like a cream, ointment, and/or medicated shampoo to help treat and control the infection. Your vet might also suggest clipping long-haired dogs to speed up treatment and shaving the hair from affected areas. Topical therapy can take several months to fully eliminate the infection, but does help prevent environmental contamination.

Oral Medications for Ringworm
Oral therapy is usually used in conjunction with a topical therapy. Anti-fungal oral medications help fight the infection and, like topical therapy, need to be administered for a minimum of six weeks, but in some cases could take months to take full effect.

Your vet will most likely ask you if you have any other pets in the household and might advise that you test and treat them for ringworm, as well, even if they are not currently showing signs of a ringworm infection. It is also very important that owners continue to treat for ringworm for the prescribed period of time. Just because the clinical signs go away doesn’t mean that your dog is no longer contagious, and your vet will most likely want to retest your dog for ringworm before giving you the “all’s clear.”

Environmental Decontamination
The spores that live inside the hair follicles remain contagious for months at a time, surviving on couches, grooming tools, bedding, furniture, and clothing. Cleaning up all this hair is a part of treatment, but as many dog owners know, also a bit of a challenge.

Some owners keep their dogs in rooms that are easy to clean during the time they are infected with ringworm. This makes it easier to eliminate stray hairs and to mop with a disinfectant recommended by your veterinarian. If you can’t contain your dog to hard floors, daily vacuuming and removal of hair from furniture and surfaces can help prevent ringworm from spreading.

Preventing Ringworm in Dogs
Most owners don’t have to worry about ringworm prevention on a regular basis unless they have already had a case of ringworm in one or more pets. The best ways to prevent reinfection of ringworm in dogs are to fully cleanse the environment of the home and any tools and bedding that the animals regularly come into contact with, and to follow the instructions of your veterinarian.

Knowing the symptoms of ringworm in dogs can help you prevent the spread of ringworm from dogs to people or other pets. For more information about ringworm or if you suspect that your dog might have ringworm, contact your veterinaria
n.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Were you and your baby each diagnosed individually? I thought I had wringworm too but it turned out to be a yeast skin infection. They both look very similar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there, I was diagnosed by my doctor but she could only view it from pictures since currently I'm in lockdown and I've been taking meds for around 3 days. My baby, however, went to the vet but the vets in my country aren't as advanced since they don't do fungal culture and woods lamp which is quite worrying for me since they diagnosed her just from looking at it. Especially since it doesn't look like ringworm at all to me. However since I'm trying to be safe I keep her downstairs where she can roam around since the floor tiles are easy to clean and it stresses her out less than keeping her alone in a room. I still hang around my baby but I was advised not to touch her with my bare hands so all I can do is speak to her:( Currently, I'm going to continue using my medicated shampoo (Virbac sebazole) and lime sulfur dips (once every 5 days alternating), as well as continuing her topical ointment and just be careful not to touch her infected areas. I just hope her pajamas come asap so I can finally carry her on my lap again since she's literally begging for me to carry her every time I stand beside her.

I hope Napkin (my furbaby's name) gets a full recovery soon.

This is her current condition, if anyone has had ringworm on their furbaby's can you please help me confirm it. Thank you:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the above picture for the before is napkin without bathing for 5 days and after a bath with Virbac sebazole before ointment

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh my. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Well if doctor says so then your on the right track. I worry sometimes when people self diagnose. With my patch of rash it looked and felt just like ringworm but Kobe did not have anything anywhere and mine was on my lower back. So I self diagnosed ringworm and doctor confirmed yeast skin infection. 🤣 Hope you are both better very soon. Hugs!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, my puppy and I both have ringworm right now. Although it is not extreme for me, I feel as if it is for her. Because of the ringworm, I'm currently isolating my puppy alone in a room inside an xpen where I put wee pads and her toys. But she hates it so much, she freaks out that from sleeping next to my bed, she's now in another room alone. I feel so bad for her but I can't do much as well. I try to keep her entertain with chew toys but she just wants to go out. Any ideas and recommendations so that isolating her can be easier for both of us. I've just isolated her for 2 days and I try to engage with her but it's hard when I have to avoid touching her since she has it all over her body and all she wants is to sit on my lap.

Also is it healthy? For me to leave my puppy in the xpen all day? I feel terrible but the vet told me to isolate her.

Pray for my dogs health
It’s better to consult a vet regarding this instead of isolating your puppy altogether. They are very delicate and need your constant care and attention at such a young age, so isolating her might not be the best idea. Instead, you should get in touch with a vet near you asap to ask him what medications you should give your pet, they might recommend a topical therapy, a cream, ointment, or a medicated shampoo to control and treat the infection. They might also suggest shaving the hair from affected areas to speed up treatment. IT is easy to find a vet near you online as there are many sites that have the details along with reviews as well. I know one platform - GreatVet - I think it is greatvet.com .There are others also but when I was in Phoenix visiting friends, I had found this site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts