Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really going out on a limb here! We're in the process of cleaning out my grandparents house to be sold. And we've been coming across old family photos and what not. Some people I know, some I don't. I wish everyone would have written names and dates on the back of photos!!!

But anyway, my grandma is Italian. And obviously we have DISTANT relatives still in Italy. That I vaguely remember her telling me about that would send letters to my great-grandma. And I've just come across a postcard of a picture of a man and woman....with writing on the back...but its in Italian!!! I don't speak Italian! :HistericalSmiley:

So I'm dying to know what it says. I figured I'd ask here if anyone speaks it, that could translate it for me? I can scan it and upload a pic if so. If not, does anyone know any kind of message board or place I can go to translate it? I'm going to try the Babelfish on Yahoo...but with the translation and it's kinda hard to read, I might not get the exact spelling. So it might be easier if I can just find someone that speaks it. THanks!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK I translated like half of it, and actually found out what part of Italy my great-great grandmother came from, through it!!! However, half of what is written is still sketchy, and doesn't really make sense through the translation online. A fluent Italian speaker would probably know for sure what it says. *keeping my fingers crossed* we have one here!!

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Did you try "google translate?"

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Amanda, feel free to send the photo with text to me by pm, I speak italian!
We're in Italy every year so I'm fairly fluently!

Alexandra :wub:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wonderful!!! I'll just scan the postcard, I don't mind sharing. I am fascinated by this kind of stuff! I just can't make out the middle of what is written. It's only a few short lines. I get the sorta gist of it. But I'll scan it and upload the pic of it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
So sweet everytime my rellies go to Malta I make them send me a postcard...lol

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:HistericalSmiley:aww how sweet , when i read the title of the post i thought it was italian speakers like the music kind

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Amanda,
it says:
To the memory of my favourite aunt Calabrese Clothilde.
Want to send my love and kisses to you and to all relatives.
From far, far away
Adelina
Thank you soooooo much Alexa!!!! "Want to send my love and kisses to you and to all relatives" That was the part that wasn't translating well, it was like really weird wording.

The Calabrese part....I am guessing that is Calabria, Italy. I looked it up, from the translator it says Calabrese is Calabrian. I'm assuming that is the part in Italy my great-great-grandma was from. And Clotilde was her name. Why does it change to Clothilde? Is that the Italian version of it? Its hard finding stuff on her because I think she went by "Clotilda" here but I also found her mass card from when she passed away and it sayd "Clotilde" so should I try looking up stuff for Clothilde maybe??

And is Adelina a first name you think, or a last name? The two names on the side. I am guessing are the two people on the front of the postcard. What is Patete?? It says Patete Adelina I think. Is Patete a girls name?? :huh: Or does that mean like Mrs. Adelina & Romano Antonio or something? Or do you think Adelina is the girls last name? And the guy is Romano Antonio??

:HistericalSmiley:aww how sweet , when i read the title of the post i thought it was italian speakers like the music kind
HAHHAHAHAH too funny:HistericalSmiley:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts