Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topper is 9 months old and new to our family. He had his first checkup at our vet on Monday and is fine. The only problem I see and mentioned to the vet is he keeps shaking his head like his ears are itchy. The vet checked his ears and they are fine. Anyone had a similar problem and find a solution?

Thanks.

Sharon

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Has Topper been bathed recently? I found when I used a certain shampoo my little guy was itching and he was really bothered around his lower back and ears. I switched shampoo and all is well. Also it could be dry skin and a good bath with good shampoo and conditioner might do the trick. I would have first thought ear infection, but since he was just checked out, I was thinking along the lines of external trouble. He is also getting used to you and his new home which is a big change for him and he may just be feeling out of sorts
I just cut Indy's hair and that had him out of sorts for about 2 days, he was scratching at his ears (which didn't get wet and he has no infection) and he just wasn't himself. Today he is back to his normally self, just with no hair in his eyes
You may also try putting peroxide on a cotton ball and clean his ears, I know the Vet said all was well but it won't hurt to try it.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
is all the hair in his ears pulled out? do that...and then get a dog ear cleaner and clean his ears---just in case.

i have a bottle of stuff where i squirt it in their ears, then i get cotton to stick in their ears and massage their ear while the cotton is in there.

it could be the start of an ear infection (the same thing happened with ellie and the vet didnt catch it). so if you clean the ears...it will help A LOT!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 25 2005, 09:33 AM
is all the hair in his ears pulled out?  do that...and then get a dog ear cleaner and clean his ears---just in case. 

i have a bottle of stuff where i squirt it in their ears, then i get cotton to stick in their ears and massage their ear while the cotton is in there. 

it could be the start of an ear infection (the same thing happened with ellie and the vet didnt catch it).  so if you clean the ears...it will help A LOT!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65062
[/QUOTE]
Topper's vet just called and said that there was hair in his ears when she looked at him, so we have a 4:30 p.m. appointment to have that hair removed. Hopefully that is that cause.

Thanks.

Sharon

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
nooo, dont go to the vet!! you can take the hair out yourself. the vet will charge for an office visit

maybe go to petco or petsmart and ask them to do it and to show you. they'll charge like $8 at the most.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 25 2005, 09:12 AM
maybe go to petco or petsmart and ask them to do it and to show you.  they'll charge like $8 at the most. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65094
[/QUOTE]

I would never take a dog to either one to have the ear hair removed. I watched 2 people do it at Petsmart. It was cruel and both dogs really yelped in pain!! They roll the hairs together and then yank them out all at once. I would rather pay the Vet to do it and show me how than to have Petsmart do it....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma+May 25 2005, 12:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-doctorcathy
@May 25 2005, 09:12 AM
maybe go to petco or petsmart and ask them to do it and to show you.   they'll charge like $8 at the most. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65094
I would never take a dog to either one to have the ear hair removed. I watched 2 people do it at Petsmart. It was cruel and both dogs really yelped in pain!! They roll the hairs together and then yank them out all at once. I would rather pay the Vet to do it and show me how than to have Petsmart do it....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65121
[/B][/QUOTE]

I do it myself too. The vet tech did it once and hurt Brink. It never bothers him when I do it, as long as I get far enough down in the ear canal. I know if he flenches, or yelps that I am pulling the wrong hairs...
Once you figure out how far down to go, it is easy to do yourself, and they come out really easily.

·
Registered
71 Posts
After reading on this forum that it needed to be done, I got my vet to show me what to do. It looked horrible but the vet assured me that they dont mind at all, and he was right. Keeko just sits there like its a non event. I have done it a coupla times in the last few months and so far doesnt need doing again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 25 2005, 09:33 AM
is all the hair in his ears pulled out?  do that...and then get a dog ear cleaner and clean his ears---just in case. 

it could be the start of an ear infection (the same thing happened with ellie and the vet didnt catch it).  so if you clean the ears...it will help A LOT!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65062
[/QUOTE]
The vet found that Topper has the slightest beginning of an ear infection. He gave me a ear wash to use daily as well as drops to use 2x a day and then I am to massage the ears after.

Thanks for all your input.

Sharon

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
shareyn....thats great!!!! its good that youre on top of this---the same exact thing happened to us and ellie. the vet didnt see the ear infection and a few days later i saw a little of the black stuff---and i cleaned it. it totally went away.

youre a great mommy!!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
yep that what happened to us as well.
chelsey had sher checkup and ears everything were fine. then the next weel all gook was in her ears. Ear infection . Glad you detected it early

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">sounds to me like he has some kind of bacterial infection. How did the vet check his ears? did he take any samples? Peaches just had the same thing happen to her. She would consatantly shake her heard and itch her ears. It turned out to be some kind of bacterial infection. If I were you, I would definately check with the vet for another opinion.</span>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts