Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I need some help on this one. :smilie_tischkante: took Max to the vet on Monday and he had a bug bite on the top of his head. For a week now he has been doing the itchy dance, ears, face and biting his feet very little not breaking the skin. He is not overly red but his ears are. There is no ear infection thank goodness. The vet wanted me to change food to hypo-allergic and I gave it and he threw it up and he put his nose up to it and said you eat it....lol So back to the old food. I am sure its not the food I think its seasonal allergy. Since he is not itching as much as last week. So I am going to give him a bath and see if that helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So also being an indoor dog can he just have dry skin...

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Could be various things. Maybe as far as food goes you can find a non yucky food that's fairly allergen free in a pet food store that Max might like. I had Tyler on Wellness before I home cooked and I think they have a line that's good for dogs with allergies but there are others. What did he eat before the vet food? Could be environmental allergies. Or even your laundry detergent or his grooming things. When was his last bath? What do you use to bath him? It takes some detective work and sometimes changing things, one at a time to figure out the culprit. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Hi Lynda, If I were you I would keep a journal of exactly what he is consuming---every little bite, what you are putting on his skin, what chemical things (like flea preventative) he gets and any sprays you use in his area.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Poor little Max. You have received good advice here and I can't add much. Is it possible he is having an allergic reaction to the bug bite? You could try the dye-free Children's Benedryl to see if that helps. Ask you vet for the correct dose. The Earth Bath hypo-allergenic shampoo works well for us. As far as the food is concerned, be sure and make you diet changes gradually. I recommend human grade holistic premium foods with no grains. Let us know how little Max is doing:wub:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please help needed. :( We were playing in the pool last night and my dog was jumping in having a blast!, however today she woke up with her ears red and itching. What should I do? I gave her 1/2 tsp of benadryl and she is still itching, now she started throwing up. Please advice!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Please help needed. :( We were playing in the pool last night and my dog was jumping in having a blast!, however today she woke up with her ears red and itching. What should I do? I gave her 1/2 tsp of benadryl and she is still itching, now she started throwing up. Please advice!
Coastie, I would recommend getting your pup to the vet immediately.

Malteseboy22, it sounds like Max just has some seasonal allergies. Our little Diamond has some allergies right now. We took her to the vet, and the vet said lots of dogs who have never had allergies before have been presenting with allergies this year. This is because Ontario had a mild winter, an early spring, a hot summer, all in all a long growing season, producing more allergens than normal. I don't know how the weather was in BC, but it sure does sound like seasonal allergies.
For Diamond's allergies the vet told us to give Diamond about 12.5 mg of benadryl (tablet) every 8 hours when her allergies seem to be giving her trouble. Of course, Diamond is 7 to 7.5 pounds, and you will want to check with your vet about dosage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts