Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's plain as day that males are easier to work with (train, etc) than females are. Maybe it's just an age thing.

Schuster- 2 years old in Feb.

Grace- Born Sept. 2004

Schuster was soooo easy to potty train. He's been house broke and is very obidient (sp). Sits, lays down, comes, walks on leash, and gets out (if in a no-no territory of house) all on command. We had his sister with us for a while, and she would not obey at all. We couldn't get her to potty train for anything. Her name is Holly. Holly finally settled down with a friend of ours that was dying for another Maltese since a tragic loss.

Now, we've got Grace. She's no relation to Schuster or Holly, but very much like Holly. At least we do have Grace trained on a pee pee pad. But (and it seems like that there is ALWAYS a but to everything), we can NOT get her to obey commands like Schuster does. She won't even come on command. She will run backwards. She is starting to know the no-no territory. Mainly that being the bathroom area because of ripping up toilet tissue. God I hate that!!!!!! Came home from work one day and found the toilet tissue off the roll completely rolled out, and into a million pieces. Had to take vacuum cleaner to get it all up. LOL, just another joy of parent hood I guess.

Anyway, with Schuster, we were not against corpal punishment at all. We wouldn't beat him by any means, but if and when he messed up, he would get a spanking. But (there is that word again!!), we would not come home and spank him if he'd done something bad while we were gone.. ie: relieving himself in house, tearing up something, or chewing something up. The only time we'd do that is when we witnessed it, and we initated the punishment at that time. Schuster also knows when he's done something bad. He hangs his head low and slowly creeps around the house. If you ask him if he's done something wrong, he's walked to it, as if trying to show me (but not always). If not, then it doesn't bother him and he plays as usual. Now, with Grace, we've not been as strict with her because she's been so little and young, but it's getting time to reinforce all rules with both dogs.

Also, why is it that she poops so much. I replace potty pad as needed, but no less than twice a day. I put one down the other night about 8pm, and then next morning when I got up (4am) there were not 1, not 2, not 3, BUT 9 droppings she'd left. Yes I know it's her because #1 Schuster won't touch that pad (let alone get near it). Also, his is so much larger than hers.

Does anyone have any ideas on making malts obedient by another means than corpal punishment? She does not learn from Schuster. I've tried that and still working with it. She will not potty outside when he does. I've tried that too. She doesn't learn command by "mocking" what Schuster does. She just looks at me as if to say "are you that stupid?"

BUT, we still love her and enjoy her soooooo much.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Well I dont know if this will help much or not, but it worked great for Caesar. After he pottied where he was supposed to he got a couple honey nut cheerios. It got to the point where he would go, but we didnt see him and he would run up to us and just stare at us waiting for his cheerio. :D Maybe that would help her?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by scottchelf@Dec 11 2004, 09:23 AM
Anyway, with Schuster, we were not against corpal punishment at all.  We wouldn't beat him by any means, but if and when he messed up, he would get a spanking.  But (there is that word again!!), we would not come home and spank him if he'd done something bad while we were gone.. ie: relieving himself in house, tearing up something, or chewing something up.  The only time we'd do that is when we witnessed it, and we initated the punishment at that time.  Schuster also knows when he's done something bad.  He hangs his head low and slowly creeps around the house.  If you ask him if he's done something wrong, he's walked to it, as if trying to show me (but not always).  If not, then it doesn't bother him and he plays as usual. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22067
[/QUOTE]

Get a few training books. I have several bookshelves full and not even one mentions spanking as being effective at anything other than making your dog afraid of you and "hand shy".

It totally breaks my heart thinking of Schuster being spanked and picturing the way he reacts to it afterward.

I recommend that you read The Art of Raising a Puppy and How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend. I believe both of these excellent books are still in print. Hopefully, after a little education on the topic you will understand that "corporal punishment" is not appropriate for little dogs (or any dog, for that matter) and you will begin using appropriate training methods with little Grace, and Schuster, too.

Also, here is a quote from one of the online training sites:
"Key to Successful House Training- Consistency and Patience. Never scold or punish your puppy for mistakes and accidents. The older your pup gets, the more he will be able to control his bladder and bowels. Eventually your pup will have enough control that he will be able to "hold it" for longer and longer periods of time. Let your puppy do this on his own time. When training is rushed, problems usually develop. Don't forget, most puppies are not reliably house trained until they are at least 6 months old. " The quote came from the site below, which has an abundance of training information.

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/lib-puppy.htm#ph

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Welll Kodie learned very quickly... but he tries to mark... I think it could be cause we used to have another dog... he is now in doggy heaven. Otherwise he knows EXACTLY what his puppy pad is!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Hey! I don't think it's a boy or girl thing. There's alot of things Noriko(F) is good at that Cloud(M) isn't and vice versa. Noriko is better trained than Cloud in the potty dept. Cloud still pees from time to time in the house. He tries to warn us most of the time. But if we don't take him out he WILL go RIGHT there in front of my face. I think he just has an issue holding it in.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Kallie/Cathers Mommie is right NEVER punish by Spanking
They only become scared of you .Just remember they are only babies ( would you spank a human baby,Of course not ) They just need time to grow.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
We say "NO" very sternly (sometimes NO, NO, NO, Bad girl) but never, ever use corporal punishment. I just don't see that there is any use for it with a dog, except to make them fear you. Our bichon wasn't the fastest dog on the block with house training but once she was about 1 she never has an accident, not ever. Sadie was 5 months yesterday. I am at home and she has gotten very consistant, patient training. She does great because I take her out often. She is not really getting the idea of letting us know when she has to go outside. It will come in time. It is too early for us to be freaked out because she isn't completely reliable. I could suggest to you that your untrained dogs not have free reign of the house. Sadie is only allowed to be in certain rooms and when we aren't watching her every movement she has to go into a puppy pen that is centrally located so she doesn't feel left out.

Like Sher, I would highly recomment the Art of Raising a Puppy from the Monks of New Skete.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Dec 11 2004, 10:49 AM
I recommend that you read The Art of Raising a Puppy and How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend. I believe both of these excellent books are still in print. Hopefully, after a little education on the topic you will understand that "corporal punishment" is not appropriate for little dogs (or any dog, for that matter) and you will begin using appropriate training methods with little Grace, and Schuster, too.
Well Said, Kallie/Catcher's Mom! Corporal Punishment should be illegal for both kids and pets!

All it takes to discipline a Malt is looking him or her in the eyes and speaking with a firm tone...and this only when they have seriously digressed.

As for the male/female thing--I would make a guess, Scottchelf, that you have no empirical evidence to back your claim, only conjecture.

I have directed animal welfare shelters, humane education programs, and worked in rescue as well as fostered several dogs in addition to owning my own -- In my experience trainability has nothing to do with male or femaleness. Breed, environment, personality, previous experiences, methods, etc...all play a role in how long it takes to train.

If anything, the male marking instinct makes them more difficult to train @ 100 %.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Spanking a lil dog can do really bad things to their bowels as well as make them afraid of you

I know one day Boom ripped up one of my sandals and was doing it when I came home. I whapped him on the nose (not to hurt, just to get his attention) and then later that day I went to pet him and he cowered.. It broke my heart and I never did it again. We have a much better relationship now.

Boom wasn't the easiest to train to go outside, but he was very easy to train other things to, but my MIL killed come but misusing it... (she'd use it to have him come so she could take something from him or yell at him.. he learned not to come anymore... and I worked so hard..) i have been unable to reteach it.

Are both of your lil ones fixed? Also if she was only born in September she's not even four months yet! Most people dont get their pups til 14 or so weeks! And even then you can't expect a puppy to be able to hold it like your lil boy. Boom wasn't potty trained reliably until he was about 20 weeks or so. You have to remember that when it comes to potty training a puppy, a lot has to do with YOU making mistakes. Frusterating I know, it drove me nuts, but its true.

Good luck with your lil girl, and have some patience, she'll get there!

-edit- i just read what I said an realized I asked the fixed question BEFORE i realized how young your lil girl is. Also, I suggest the monks of new skete too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts