Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a post about a comment being on the internet, so it might merit less as to whether we should care. Not wanting to start a fuss here, but I did want to state just how important these posts can be to people, me included.

Some of my best friends are people I met on the internet (now, I'm not referring to situations like our church organists who ran off with a man she met there).

Through the years, I've met, through chat sites, some wonderful people who I have formed wonderful friendships with. Some I've met in person, and some are those I just talk with by phone. I have one elderly man I met through an RV chat site. He helps me when things are broken on my little RV. In fact, I even drove it to Ohio, and he put in a generator for me. We send each other funny jokes, and I pick at him about his two ex wives. We both treasure our friendship.
I hope I've made several friendships with people on SM. One, I talk with by phone quite often, and we have shared a lot of personal history. I feel good enough about our freindship to entrust her with my Julia, who is to be spayed soon.
I have another friend in Indiana who was badmouthed to me by others, but, because of our emails, I've learned that what was said isn't true. She is a wonderful, caring Christian lady who has been there for me, and I'm there for her.
Recently, we had a poster who had a problem with her son. She felt that she could come to us as a group and share her pain. Some of us chose the PM route with her, and some chose to post openly on the site. BUT, we were there for her. We did care, and what she wrote did matter. I think what we wrote back mattered to her too.
While some may see the internet as just an object, I like to think that there are people sitting at those keyboards with a heart and feelings. These people can be hurt or helped by what is written here, and on other sites.
I realize this is just my opinion, but I hope it is food for thought the next time someone wants to strike out at another poster. I know that there are people who have problems in their own life, and they like to use the internet to take out their frustrations on others. I'm not talking about anyone in specific--just making a general statement. What they don't realize is that they let their own being become public, in additon to hurting others.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I agree with you 100%, it seems like people understand me better here than in real life. They're always there for me.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i've made a few friends here too. but if someone is going to come online and lie--i dont care. i already know the people i like on the internet..and with the new people---it takes me a while to actually just "get along" with them, you know?

my point was that if sassy'smom was lying---then that's her problem, not yours. and people sending her PMs about it....thats f*cked up.

i usually believe everyone on here...i mean, there has been a couple of far-fetched stories..but oh well. i've met people like that in person---that they have to make up lies to seem important or something. that's THEIR problem, not yours---and dont send PMs and call them liars. let it go.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I understand what you are saying LucyLou...

I also understand your point too drcathy...but is the 'f' word necessary?

nevermind...you have freedom of speech, but it is offensive to some... -_-

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
You know I have met some truly wonderful people through the internet whom I probably would never have met otherwise. In spite of it seeming like a world of make believe, in reality it is very much more. It is real people who sit there and talk with their fingers and open up their hearts to share their stories, their hopes and their disappointments, real people who may not know how to reach out in any other way and real people who offer a hand in friendship to encourage all of those who need help. What an amazing commodity we have here, people who are thousands of miles apart can feel as though they are right there with someone, so far away yet so near that they can help instantly with answers to problems that could have become irreversable had it not been for that distant person offering sound advice. People who may not be able to communicate face to face yet can talk freely through the internet. There are a lot of very lonely people out there who have no-one close who cares about them yet they have many friends who they may never meet and the closeness they feel for eachother as good friends fills that emptiness and gives them hope and courage to keep going just so they can talk to their invisable friends even though they may be on the other side of the world, the time spent chatting gives one a sense of being there right next to them.
If it weren't for the internet I wouldn't see my little granson and my teenage grand daughter nor my son or daughter live there in front of me and know that they are all doing well. Also I wouldn't have got to see my dear mother only weeks before she passed away suddenly last August, I wouldn't have been able to tell her how much I loved her and see the look on her face when I said those words, and she too got to see how her words of love and encouragement made me smile.
I say thank God for the internet.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Aug 7 2005, 04:23 PM
You know I have met some truly wonderful people through the internet  whom I probably would never have met otherwise. In spite of it seeming like a world of make believe, in reality it is very much more. It is real people who sit there and talk with their fingers and open up their hearts to share their stories, their hopes and their disappointments, real people who may not know how to reach out in any other way and real people who offer a hand in friendship to encourage all of those who need help. What an amazing commodity we have here, people who are thousands of miles apart can feel as though they are right there with someone, so far away yet so near that they can help instantly with answers to problems that could have become irreversable had it not been for that distant person offering sound advice. People who may not be able to communicate face to face yet can talk freely through the internet. There are a lot of very lonely people out there who have no-one close who cares about them yet they have many friends who they may never meet and the closeness they feel for eachother as good friends fills that emptiness and gives them hope and courage to keep going just so they can talk to their invisable friends even thought they may be on the other side of the world, the time spent chatting gives one a sense of being there right next to them.
If it weren't for the internet I wouldn't see my little granson and my teenage grand daughter nor my son or daughter live there in front of me and know that they are all doing well. Also I wouldn't have got to see my dear mother only weeks before she passed away suddenly last August, I wouldn't have been able to tell her how much I loved her and see the look on her face when I said those words, and she too got to see how her words of love and encouragement made me smile.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88043
[/QUOTE]

Oh, Scooby, I'm so sorry about your mother
That was beautifully said -_-

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Aug 7 2005, 05:26 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Scoobydoo
@Aug 7 2005, 04:23 PM
You know I have met some truly wonderful people through the internet  whom I probably would never have met otherwise. In spite of it seeming like a world of make believe, in reality it is very much more. It is real people who sit there and talk with their fingers and open up their hearts to share their stories, their hopes and their disappointments, real people who may not know how to reach out in any other way and real people who offer a hand in friendship to encourage all of those who need help. What an amazing commodity we have here, people who are thousands of miles apart can feel as though they are right there with someone, so far away yet so near that they can help instantly with answers to problems that could have become irreversable had it not been for that distant person offering sound advice. People who may not be able to communicate face to face yet can talk freely through the internet. There are a lot of very lonely people out there who have no-one close who cares about them yet they have many friends who they may never meet and the closeness they feel for eachother as good friends fills that emptiness and gives them hope and courage to keep going just so they can talk to their invisable friends even thought they may be on the other side of the world, the time spent chatting gives one a sense of being there right next to them.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88045
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you AJ

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Aug 7 2005, 04:30 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2005, 05:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Scoobydoo
@Aug 7 2005, 04:23 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88045

[/QUOTE]

Thank you AJ

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88048
[/B][/QUOTE]

Youre welcome
This site wouldnt be the same without you

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
It is really amazing how the internet has changed life. I've been using the internet since I signed on to AOL in 1993. I can't even imagine life without it!

It is interesting how we form attachments without knowing the age, looks, religion, or even the sex of our internet friends. I, too, have met some really great people at this site, as well as others.

It has been said before, but things written are not as easily interpreted because we don't have the nuances of speech. A laugh, a voice inflection, a tone can soften the spoken word.

The internet is a powerful medium - we should respect it and use it carefully.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins+Aug 7 2005, 06:24 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Aug 7 2005, 05:09 PM

The internet is a powerful medium - we should respect it and use it carefully.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88067

Yes I agree whole heartedly Respect is such a signifant word, should respect each other and try to think of what we are writing so as not to offend others.

I too have met some wonderful people over the internet, and even have had the opportunity to met some in person, wonderful people that I would not have met if it was not for the internet

As for a certain word used in one of the posts, I feel there is no need for words like that here.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88068
[/B][/QUOTE]

I believe i am going to go insane
respect is an awesome point here, respect others postitions, thoughts, situations as if they were your own, noone on here can say 100% that tommorow they will not be a position that they critisize today, anyway, i will stop before i get on ANOTHER rant, the internet is not just the internet anymore, it truely is real life, or a part of it, if you dont think it is, do us all a favor and sign off forever, you wont miss it if its not real

as for the f word, there is no place for it and i appreciate it not being used, but back to real life, its a part of it, we as adults and even children can know its wrong and move on, or embrace it and make it more than it is

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I live by the rule that we should treat others as we would want to be treated ouselves. I also think that respect is something that everyone deserves and no one should have to earn.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Aug 7 2005, 08:22 PM
I live by the rule that we should treat others as we would want to be treated ouselves. I also think that respect is something that everyone deserves and no one should have to earn.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88104
[/QUOTE]

I agree whole heartedly with you saltymalty, a very good way to be.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

There is a saying I heard once " Think of what you say and do today, for it may come back and bite you in the butt tomorrow"

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Aug 7 2005, 08:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Aug 7 2005, 08:22 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88104

I agree whole heartedly with you saltymalty, a very good way to be.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

There is a saying I heard once " Think of what you say and do today, for it may come back and bite you in the butt tomorrow"
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88112
[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with you both.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Aug 7 2005, 12:47 PM
I just read a post about a comment being on the internet, so it might merit less as to whether we should care.  Not wanting to start a fuss here, but I did want to state just how important these posts can be to people, me included.

Some of my best friends are people I met on the internet (now, I'm not referring to situations like our church organists who ran off with a man she met there). 

Through the years, I've met, through chat sites, some wonderful people who I have formed wonderful friendships with.  Some I've met in person, and some are those I just talk with by phone.                                                                        I have one elderly man I met through an RV chat site.  He helps me when things are broken on my little RV.  In fact, I even drove it to Ohio, and he put in a generator for me.  We send each other funny jokes, and I pick at him about his two ex wives.  We both treasure our friendship. 
I hope I've made several friendships with people on SM.  One, I talk with by phone quite often, and we have shared a lot of personal history.  I feel good enough about our freindship to entrust her with  my Julia, who is to be spayed soon. 
I have another friend in Indiana who was badmouthed to me by others, but, because of our emails, I've learned that what was said isn't true.  She is a wonderful, caring Christian lady who has been there for me, and I'm there for her.
Recently, we had a poster who had a problem with her son.  She felt that she could come to us as a group and share her pain.  Some of us chose the PM route with her, and some chose to post openly on the site.  BUT, we were there for her.  We did care, and what she wrote did matter.  I think what we wrote back mattered to her too.
While some may see the internet as just an object, I like to think that there are people sitting at those keyboards with a heart and feelings.  These people can be hurt or helped by what is written here, and on other sites.
I realize this is just my opinion, but I hope it is food for thought the next time someone wants to strike out at another poster.  I know that there are people who have problems in their own life, and they like to use the internet to take out their frustrations on others.  I'm not talking about anyone in specific--just making a general statement.  What they don't realize is that they let their own being become public, in additon to hurting others.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88029
[/QUOTE]

Faye,

I didn't mean the internet comment the way it came out. I just meant that sometimes, because it feels like more of a cyberspace, people tend not to act like their normal selves. I am definitely glad that I met you!!

Olga

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it wasnt u that made the comment Olga...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I too agree with this being a "community". I love being here and I anxiously await responses to the threads, especially when there is a little one sick. When I come online I feel an obligation to myself and others to be myself. I am who I am, why try and change that? I feel a kinship with the people who. I don't know who you really are, where you are, or what you do in your everyday life. But I do know that I can ask a question or share a concern and will have a group of people who will share with me. Thanks to the internet this stay-at-home mom has a little better chance of keeping her sanity, and belief that there is some good left in people out there...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by hambys97@Aug 8 2005, 02:18 AM
I too agree with this being a "community".  I love being here and I anxiously await responses to the threads, especially when there is a little one sick.  When I come online I feel an obligation to myself and others to be myself.  I am who I am, why try and change that?  I feel a kinship with the people who.  I don't know who you really are, where you are, or what you do in your everyday life.  But I do know that I can ask a question or share a concern and will have a group of people who will share with me.  Thanks to the internet this stay-at-home mom has a little better chance of keeping her sanity, and belief that there is some good left in people out there...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88203
[/QUOTE]

Well said...

PS: Have I told you that you have beautiful children? Skin AND fur?1
Well, you do...and if that sweet face of Frosty's goes missing...DON'T come looking my direction...

LOL, just kidding...I have an ongoing list of "dog-nap" prospects. :D Frosty catches my eye everytime you post....what a SWEETIE!!!

I won't REALLY dog-nap your baby, but does she have a twin?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Aug 8 2005, 05:46 AM
PS: Have I told you that you have beautiful children? Skin AND fur?1
Well, you do...and if that sweet face of Frosty's goes missing...DON'T come looking my direction...

LOL, just kidding...I have an ongoing list of "dog-nap" prospects. :D Frosty catches my eye everytime you post....what a SWEETIE!!!

I won't REALLY dog-nap your baby, but does she have a twin?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88204
[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much!
If Frosty had a twin I would have already dog-napped him/her. :lol: I believe I got extremely lucky with my pet store/puppy mill baby :eek: . Don't tell her, she believes she is perfect!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts