Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, folks. I have officially given up on Lizzie. We've had her 6 months now, and I am just not cut out for this breed. Forget the training and her stubbornness, etc. -- the main point is that Lizzie's personality just does not mix with mine and what I want out of a dog. Sooooo, I am officially putting her up for sale to a good home only.

Sure, she's adorable. Yes, she's gorgeous. You're right, she's really funny to watch sometimes. Yes, she's high maintenance in every way imagineable. I just picked the wrong breed for me.

Thank you everyone for your support and your kind words over the past months. I have learned a LOT from everyone here!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Spottypoo, I have to say that when I read your post my heart skipped a beat... But you are to be commended for doing what is best for you both.

Rather than selling her, please consider putting Lizzie with Northcentral Maltese Rescue. You don't want this to be the beginning of her going from home to home, which could surely happen. This breed-specific rescue group is experienced in placing Malts and will make sure she gets in the right "forever" home. They will evaluate her and place her with a foster who is familiar with the breed and can likely do some obedience work to help make her more adoptable.

Here is what they say on their site: "Northcentral Maltese Rescue was created to find loving forever homes for Maltese dogs and that is our commitment to all owners who wish to place their beloved pet in our care."

George Bailey is the Eastern US Coordinator. I have emailed back and forth with him from time to time and he is a wonderful man. You may want to email him directly: [email protected]. He is in Ohio.

Here is the information. At least give them a call or email. I truly feel it is in Lizzie's best interest to do so. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Northcentral Maltese Rescue Home Page

Surrendering Your Maltese - Electronic Form - NC Malt Rescue

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:eek: WHAT?! :eek:
I thought things were better!!!!????
What in the world happened?!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time. She is so cute I'm sure you will be able to find a loving home for her

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have to disagree with the putting her in rescue. She is in a good place now and in no danger. Why would you take a spot away from a dog who really needs it? Rescue space is always limited. However, I do think you should follow their procedure, check referances, talk to their vet, do a home visit and charge a fee.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, she will not be going to a rescue. I am going to sell her to a home that I feel is right for her, preferrably in this area so I can pop in and check on her from time to time.

What is best for Lizzie is that she go to a home that is willing to spend the time she needs to have from her owners. She is a very draining, demanding and energetic little dog, and I just don't have that in me. Because I have MS, I have my good days and my bad days, but when I'm not feeling 100%, Lizzie still must be played with until she tires out and I can't always do that.

I just wanted a sweet little lap dog to keep me company for goodness sake, not the Energizer Bunny!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I can't stop thinking about you and Lizzie. I'm really glad that you took your time with this decision and that you have both Lizzie and your best interest in mind. I know things weren't easy for you a few months ago with Lizzie. I just thought that things had improved. Good luck to you and to Lizzie, I'm sure you will find her a great home.
I wish I could take her, but I don't live near you and I don't think the idea of 3 little malts would fly with my bf. Please keep us posted with how things are going.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@May 30 2005, 08:10 PM
I have to disagree with the putting her in rescue.   She is in a good place now and in no danger.   Why would you take a spot away from a dog who really needs it?  Rescue space is always limited.  However,  I do think you should follow their procedure, check referances, talk to their vet, do a home visit and charge a fee.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66986
[/QUOTE]

A dog that is being surrendered from her family is surely a candidate for rescue. There is a resuce on the Northcentral site now that is deaf and was given up because of a new baby in the home. It is just so easy for a pattern of going from home to home occur without the help of "experts".

For example, the daughter of a co-worker had a friend with a young Malt. The friend was moving to an apartment that wouldn't accept dogs so she gave the dog to my co-worker's daughter. Then my co-worker's daughter had a baby and there were issues with her being able to supervise the dog and baby so she gave the dog to her mother-in-law in a town nearby. The dog was 2 years old and she had already had three homes.

Well, everyone has to do what feels right for them but I will always believe that the best chance for Lizzie to find a forever home is with rescue.

Here is the adoption application that Northcentral uses ... it might help in knowing what questions to ask potential buyers: Northcentral Maltese Rescue Adoption Application

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by scrappy@May 30 2005, 07:42 PM
Oh I wish I lived in the states cos I would be on your doorstep right now ready to whisk Lizzi away.

I hope Lizzi finds a good home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66976
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'd take her in a second if I lived in your area. I hope things work out for both of you.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am so sorry it isn't working out for you with your little Malt. I will say though that Maltese are not for everyone. It has taken my hubby a while to adjust to Scooby's antics and independance. He is aloof, and only does what he chooses to do when he chooses most of the time. He is now almost 2 years and has settled into a wonderful loving and cuddly little lap, bed and recliner hogger, but he still has that attitude that is unique to Malts. I have to say that is what I love about him the most, he will do as he is told only if it suits him no matter how much training we put into him, but he is so good in the house and has never destroyed anything that is not his. We can go out for 4 to 5 hours and leave him alone with the run of the house and have confidence that he will not get into any mischief or make a mess anywhere. He is smart as a whip and knows exactly how to manipulate both of us to get his own way. Having said all of that, we both adore him, he is our baby and in spite of his cocky little attitude we would never part with him.
If you can't cope with your little furbaby then please make sure she goes to a good forever home where she will be loved for her personality and treated like the little princess she surely is.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Janet and Scooby.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I hope you find her a great home. From talking with you, I know you have tried to work things out.

Since I only live 45 mins from you, I would be there tonight to get her. But I don't think I can really afford another Maltese.
With the price of grooming and Vet visits. Sounds like I'm trying to talk myself out of taking her (hubby says get her if you want). I am so protective of Puddles that if I had 2, I would have to be a stay at home mom.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+May 30 2005, 07:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dhodina
@May 30 2005, 08:10 PM
I have to disagree with the putting her in rescue.   She is in a good place now and in no danger.   Why would you take a spot away from a dog who really needs it?  Rescue space is always limited.  However,  I do think you should follow their procedure, check referances, talk to their vet, do a home visit and charge a fee.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66986
A dog that is being surrendered from her family is surely a candidate for rescue. There is a resuce on the Northcentral site now that is deaf and was given up because of a new baby in the home. It is just so easy for a pattern of going from home to home occur without the help of "experts".

For example, the daughter of a co-worker had a friend with a young Malt. The friend was moving to an apartment that wouldn't accept dogs so she gave the dog to my co-worker's daughter. Then my co-worker's daughter had a baby and there were issues with her being able to supervise the dog and baby so she gave the dog to her mother-in-law in a town nearby. The dog was 2 years old and she had already had three homes.

Well, everyone has to do what feels right for them but I will always believe that the best chance for Lizzie to find a forever home is with rescue.

Here is the adoption application that Northcentral uses ... it might help in knowing what questions to ask potential buyers: Northcentral Maltese Rescue Adoption Application
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66995
[/B][/QUOTE]

The deaf dog is being turned in because she can't hear the baby coming behind her. That causes a dangerous situation for both child and dog. I hate to say it but just because a dog goes into rescue doesn't guarentee that she won't have 3 homes by 2yrs. Dogs get returned to rescue numerous times due to the same changes you listed. I think rescue groups are sometimes seen as the easy way out. I can't keep my dog, I will just turn it into rescue/drop off at the pound so that they can take the responsiblity in finding a good home. I think if there is no danger factor involved and you have the ability to care properly for the dog, then it is your job as a responsible owner to find a good home for your dog. Rescue groups will always help you in your search for a good home and a great resource.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't understand why you're putting her up for sale insted of giving her away for free.(to only good homes of course) I'm sure there're some ppl that would love to take her free of charge.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lani@May 30 2005, 09:17 PM
I don't understand why you're putting her up for sale insted of giving her away for free.(to only good homes of course) I'm sure there're some ppl that would love to take her with free of charge.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67007
[/QUOTE]

Lani, I think by getting at least some money for Lizzie she can be a little more secure that the person is sincere in their desire to give her a good home. It is not absolute assurance but it is just so easy for anyone to want to take a free dog, that this weeds out people who are not really serious.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I am so sorry. I know from reading past posts you were having a hard time. I can understand completely and I do believe you are doing what is best. These little ones take a lot of care everyday and they are not cheap to take care of. I hope you find a wonderful home for her. If I lived closer I would consider taking her. Good luck to both of you. I know my little Lacey is the love of my life but she takes lots of time and attention everyday. I give you lots of credit for doing what is best for the both of you.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.