Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Well, I’m off to the vet this afternoon to arrange Abby’s appointment for spaying…
*nervous*….

I will have to actually make an appointment for her to have a checkup before the go ahead won’t I? Now, I’m going to get her microchipped at the same time and I am also going to ask the vet to check her mouth to see if any of her teeth need pulling etc… (I have looked in her mouth and I can’t really see any that need to be… but I don’t really know what to look for I guess! LOL) ….

Is there anything else I need to consider when I make the appointment? I want everything done at once so she doesn’t have to go under again (hopefully)….

She’s 7 months old, so I am hoping to have her done next week … before her first heat! I wanted to get her done at 6 months, but I just couldn’t get the finances to have her done straight away
I've just gotten the quote and for her spaying and microchipping (if I get it done before her first heat) it will be just under $250.... does that sound right? Either way though, I will still have her done there because that is her "doctor" and I have been more than satisfied by the service and care he has provided to me & my little girl...

What about preparation at home before and after???

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sounds like ur well informed! only thing i see is that u need to make sure u get the preop blood work done. even if she is healthy it is a good idea to do this to make sure nothing is going on internally. and if it comes out normal, it gives a good baseline for the vet to compare to if she does get sick.
i wish sunshine luck!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am going to be going through this soon, oh dear. I will be a nervous wreck too! It hasnt been that long since my last was in for bladder stones but she came out of it at 12 years old just as she did the spay and teeth cleanings throughout her life, just like a champ, if that gives you any peace of mind

I bought regular baby onsies for my Holli to wear so that she didnt interfere with her stitches. Cut a hole for the tail and viola! She had a puppy cut and I still had to brush her extra because of the hair being more susceptable to tangles though. Just have to make sure to remind hubby to *unbutton* them before he takes baby out to pee...

best wishes!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
You'll be so glad when it is all over with. I think the anticipation is worse than the event. Just remember to have the pre-op blood work done to make sure that everything is OK.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We just had our puppy spayed last Sunday. She came out of it beautifully. We didn't need the baby onsies because her stitches are all internal so there was nothing to lick out. They will dissolve on their own. Some of the things we did experience: prepare for itchy skin. They shave the pup's belly and when it starts to grow in, it is itchy for them. That lasted about two days. She also had a bout of very runny stools. This also lasted about two days. I would suggest investing in a box of disposable gloves and lots of baby wipes. The poo got stuck in her hair, and since we couldn't bathe her, we used the wipes to clean out the mess. It just made it much easier with the gloves. You can get a box of 100 gloves for about $5. Per the vet's instructions, we fed her a bland diet for three days...boiled chicken and rice. You may want to ask yours about that too. Our pup is a small girl, weighing 3.6 lbs. The vet was going to wait until she reached 4 lbs. but since she was already 6 months old, the vet felt she might go into heat at any time. She has lost a number of baby teeth, and the vet felt it wasn't necessary to pull out any of them. In fact, she just lost another "molar" this morning, so I guess the vet was right. Finally, be careful of pain meds. I don't recall which one, but our vet said that small white dogs don't take well to one particular medicine. She did give her some other meds which seemed to really work well for her pain. The vet also used a long acting numbing injection at the incision site. I am sure that everything will go fine. You'll be a wreck for 24 hrs., but in the end, it really is the best thing for your puppy.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
XOXOXOXO's for Abby!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awww, she'll do great! I'm sure we freak out far more over this than they do.

You sound very prepared and informed. My one recommendation: make sure the vet gives her pain medication afterwards and prescribes some to take home.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody SO MUCH! The information you have given me is EXACTLY what I needed!!!
Gee I love everyone on here!!!

I do have a kind of silly question though... I went to the vet and Abby is booked in for the 18th of this month. I have an appointment with the vet for her before then, but I didn't get to speak with him while I was there making the appointment, just the girl at the counter... when I asked about getting her bloods done at the same time, she wasn't sure what I meant - she was asking me about specific things and I had NO IDEA what she was talking about! LOL

Could someone please explain exactly what I need to have done (and why) so that I can be clearer when I go there again?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
When I go to get a procedure done at the vet, they give me a form to sign before I leave Peanut. This form asks if I want to microchip (I already did), pre-op blood work, or any other concerns that I have. It's like a check list. My vet told me that the pre-op blood work is to be sure that the dog will be healthy/strong enough to handle the anestesia and surgery.

Your vet appointment is before the surgery right? Just be sure to speak to the vet about it and ask him to mark it down in Abby's charts. I'm sure your vet will be happy to explain things in more detail then. Others here might have better info than I do too. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The bloodwork should include a CBC (complete blood count) and a few chemistry values to include kidney (Creatinine, maybe BUN) and liver values (ALT, maybe ALKP) depending on the age of the dog (we do just a few values on young healthy dogs and a more expensive and complete panel on older dogs, you can always request more). If your vet does not do bloodwork in house, you will want to have it done a few days before the procedure. With a Maltese, you especially want to make sure their liver is okay.

Request that they use only Isoflurance gas anesthesia and gas her down rather than giving her an injection to "induce" her. Iso is very safe and leaves their system quickly. Malts tend to be more sensitive to the injectibles. One safe injectible is propofol. If your vet wants to use that to induse and maintain with Iso, that should be fine.

The dog should receive in injection of pain medication before they wake up. If your vet doesn't automatically send it home, ask for a couple of days of pain medication. For little Maltese, it is usually Metacam, Torbutrol, or Buprenex as they are easier to dose. For a bigger dog, Rimadyl is often used. Since you had bloodwork done, you can already be assured that a few days of a medication should be fine. Ask your vet about side effects. Usually with NSAIDs like Rimadyl or Metacam, upset stomach are common and your vet will tell you to stop them and call if that happens.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Mar 3 2005, 10:53 PM
You'll be so glad when it is all over with.  I think the anticipation is worse than the event.  Just remember to have the pre-op blood work done to make sure that everything is OK.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39769
[/QUOTE]
I agree 200%!
Remember that advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts