Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vinny is scheduled to be neutered on Tuesday. We leave for the city on Monday for the pre-surgery blood work. I have been really b!tchy and on edge these last few days and I guess it is nerves. I am sure he will be fine but this is my youngest child and I went through this for each one. He will have to have at least 3 baby teeth removed, microchip implanted and I am going to talk to him about flushing out his tear ducts. I don't know if it is a necessity, his staining has gotten bad in the last little while, I'm sure from teething, but his (birth) mom has very bad tear stains and I guess it is inherited. Do any of you have any advice on the flushing, is it a big deal to have done, does it help? I tried looking for the procedure on the internet but couldn't find much visually. I am nuts when any of them go for any type of procedure, I google it to find actual pictures of what they have to do. Thanks for the support and any pointers you may have.

T.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The procedure itself is not a big deal. There is a little opening in the corner of there eye and a little canula attachmend on the syringe goes in and they flush through.

If blocked tear ducts are the cause of his staining, it will help. If they're not, then it won't.

It only takes a few minutes. Mikey gets it done awake every few months as needed (his left one re-blocks and I can tell).

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I had Sadie's ducts flushed a couple of weeks ago when she was spayed. I think it cost $10 or something like that. They weren't blocked but the Vet said they were very narrow. Great.

Poor little Vinny and poor you. You'll be so happy when it is all over and done with. I'll check in on Monday in case you're watching the clock. I know that I sure was. Good luck.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good luck to you & Vinny on Monday. My Gracie had her tear ducts flushed when she was spayed and 2 baby teeth pulled. She came through with flying colours. Vinny will too.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I hope everything goes well for Vinny!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys, Vinny had his bloodwork done this afternoon, everything came back fine. He wouldn't let the Dr. check his mouth but I know there are at least 4 teeth that have to go, he is going to get his tear ducts flushed and I was explained the procedure. They had a bit of a hard time getting blood from him and he came out with a big blue bandage on his leg. He weighs 4.5 pounds and he said that was a good weight for him he wasn't sure if he was going to get any bigger but he said if so not much. I am so sick right now at the thought of morning coming and my having to drop him off. The older I get the harder it is to handle these things. There are so many what ifs, I know I want him to be, and he will be neutered but I just want to take him and run. Well I think I am going to take some kind of sleep aide and block this out for a few hours. Sorry I know I am rambling so I will sign off for now. Once I hear word I will let you all know.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm sorry you and Vinny are going through this, and wish you comfort during this time. I'm sure everything will work out fine, and that the anticipation will have been worse than the actuality. Hang in there!

Please keep us posted. You and Vinny will be in my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm sure everything will be successful for Vinny! I was just as nervous as you this past Sept when Kodie was neutered. I just kept reminding myself that Kodie needed his baby teeth pulled or infection could occur.. he had 7 teeth pulled and his mouth looked a mess! Just keep reminding your self that this is the BEST for him and it will all be over before you know it! Give him a BIG kiss before you drop him off! Keep us updated! Kodie and I send hugs!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone, I had to tell you all first!!! Vinny is DONE, I have no other detail just that everything went ok. Thanks for all the support, I knew I could count on all of you. I will be back on later to let you know the details.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
GREAT! I'm so glad it's over and you'll feel so much better tonight when you see him!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Many XOXO's for Vinny!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
How is Vinny doing? Just checking.....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 2 2005, 01:06 PM
How is Vinny doing?  Just checking.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32962
[/QUOTE]

Hi, we just got back home about half an hour ago. Vinny was awesome, I picked him up from th vets yesterday at about 4:30 and that little boy almost jumped out of the tech's arms. His face was all orange around his eyes, when they flushed his tear ducts they used some kind of dye. It was hard keeping him settled once we got back to my sisters, she has a kitten exactly one month to the day older than Vinny and they love to wrestle and chase each other although they are only together once or twice a month they have really bonded. Skye would run and jump on Vinny and he would start to play then suddenly stop, cause ouch!!! He had a good nights sleep last night, but I think he is glad to be home. Lots of kisses and sniffs from his siblings here. He is now curled up on my lap in his usual spot. We are going to have an early night tonight, it is like I am forcing him to keep quiet, he is raring to go. I know you all told me that everything would be ok and you were right. Thanks again for all your support, I don't know what I would do without you guys.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
glad all went well! :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
Whew, glad that's over with. I am so happy you and Vinny are BOTH doing well!! Now you have to spoil him more (if that's possible) !! I think that this whole thing deserves at LEAST a new toy or two don't you !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts