Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... by the spinning bug! I went to a friend's house on Saturday and one of the gals there showed me how to spin fiber into yarn using a drop spindle.

Turns out I don't suck at it and might actually turn out some usable yarn! Now I know what I want to do with some of the longer dog hair I've been collecting! If anyone trims their malt down from a long cut (after a bath and at least 2") I would LOVE to have their hair for this little experiment.

I'll post pictures when I get done with the yarn and start on the Maltese yarn project.

Does anyone else on the forum spin?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I don't spin but it's ironic you mention this. When my groomer was at the house on Saturday the entire laundry room floor was full of dog hair. We commented that it's a shame to throw it away .. that maybe someone could weave it! Of course, it is thrown away now but I think it was too short for your needs. Some might have been 2", but barely.

I can't wait to see what you make!!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I don't spin, but I knit and crochet! So I could use your yarn to make something for that person if they want!

I was actually thinking of knitting some winter sweaters for some members' malts if they would like...

Anyhoo, that's off topic. ;)

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Miki - I don't think I'd accumulate enough hair to make a coat for a fly since I get Tyler trimmed so often since she lives in my building. I'm taking him again this week. I'm assuming too it's only the soft cottony coat that would work, or maybe the silky stuff too, just not other short hard types of dog hair. As you can see I'm just not sure.:)

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a picture of what the spun fiber looks like on the drop spindle. See the fluffy part at one end? That is what it looks like before spinning. I think cottony and silky Maltese hair would work. If I stick with white (therefore, Maltese) I can play around with dying the hair, too. I'm going to a fiber event this weekend and will be asking questions of the more experienced people there.

Spinning is such a zen activity. I swear I feel my heartrate drop as I relax. Bogie likes to sit on my lap and watch, but hasn't tried to chase the spindle.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
This is a picture of what the spun fiber looks like on the drop spindle. See the fluffy part at one end? That is what it looks like before spinning. I think cottony and silky Maltese hair would work. If I stick with white (therefore, Maltese) I can play around with dying the hair, too. I'm going to a fiber event this weekend and will be asking questions of the more experienced people there.

Spinning is such a zen activity. I swear I feel my heartrate drop as I relax. Bogie likes to sit on my lap and watch, but hasn't tried to chase the spindle.

Very cool. Let's see what I end up with this coming Tyler haircut:) I bet you're looking forward to the event this weekend. I'm knitting again and I just love doing that too - it does make you slow down and smell the roses:)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
That looks like so much fun! That's a great picture too. I started knitting again a few weeks ago. There are so many beautiful yarns out there. Can't wait to see how your experiment goes.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
We had a very old spin wheel that came from my grand mother and I always wanted it. But it would have been a hassle and expensive to have it shipped here from France. So when we emptied my mom house we gave it to town's museum. They were happy because they didn't have any.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts