Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't the most uplifting thing to talk about... but I have been so miserable lately I just wanted to share with somebody.
Please DO NOT READ if you have a weak stomach or dont' want to know the icky icky details of icky sickness.

I'm 23 years old and a female, never had any serious health problems before this (besides depression, which is successfully treated).

Two days before thanksgiving, I awoke in the middle of the night with gnawing pain in my upper stomach, severe nausea, and vomiting. I have a "weak" stomach and often food doesn't agree with me, so I figured it was not too big of a deal and I would just "wait it out". But, the pain got worse as the night progressed. Vomiting continued until there was nothing left at all... then I vomited blood. I woke up my roommate and she drove me to the ER. IV Fluids, Phenergan (an anti-nausea, anti-vomiting drug), blood tests... My white cell count (a marker of inflammation and infection) was through the roof, so they did a CT of my abdomen -- it was clear (no appendicitis, thank goodness). By this point, 18 hours had passed, and I was feeling mostly better. The pain had receded to a dull ache. They told me I should see a GI doctor within a few days to be sure it was just "gastritis", and to check my gallbladder for stones, or whatever, and released me.

I went to the GI doctor a few weeks later (first available appointment, grrrr!
) , and after a thorough exam and history, he told me I most likely had Peptic Ulcer disease, and from the way the pain had presented, he thinks they're in my duodenum (the first part of my small intestine). He gave me Proton Pump Inhibitors and told me to lay off the coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and soda (my four favorite things, sigh).

Last night, though, the pain came back at 11 pm. AGONY. I was sick about five times and threw up BILE. THe pain was so bad, worse than it was the first time. I was writhing around and crying and retching. It was os awful. Boyfriend drove me to the ER and they gave me fluids and Phenergan again, and this time, they added Demerol. THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT. I was just rolling on the bed in pain. The first dose did nothing, but when they added more, the pain regressed to something I could deal with. They did an ultrasound to check for Gallstone disease, but it was negative. So... just the darn ULCERS again, ripping holes in my guts. I went home at around 5 am last night finally, slept until 4 pm, and now I'm off to get my prescription for Vicodin (for the pain in case itcomes back) and some Phenergan for the vomiting.

WHat a happy Holiday season it has been for me, huh?
Does anybody else have ulcers that cause them this sort of pain?

At least it wasn't my gallbladder though-- I would have hated to have that surgery!!

Sigh,

thanks for listening you all

Jack has been a super snuggle bunny through all this
He understands when I am in pain, and he helps me out by giving nose licks and kissies

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am glad that you are feeling some what better.
My heart goes out to you. I have never had any problems with my stomach, but my poor husband has to take a pill 2 times a day for the rest of his life. It is called Prilosec. I think I spelled that right. He has pacreitis, which causes a lot of stomach problems because his pancreas can't filter some of the acids. He had a virus about a month ago and got real sick. He threw up for 2 days and nights. I thought he was going to dehydrate. He couldn't hold his medicine down therefore here we go again with his stomach pain. The last time I took him to the hospital it cost us 1600.00 and they did nothing more than what I could do at home for him. The only good they did for him was give him a prescription for a stomach pill which cost 7.00 a piece. The pharmacist told me about the Prilosec and told me they do the same thing that he would just have to take 2 a day. Also follow what your doctor tells you about your diet. It does work. My husband has his under control and from time to time he can have something that is forbidden, but don't over do it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, Cindy, I am so sorry to hear what you've been going through. I have no personal experience with it and wish I could offer some advice but right now I'll just say I'll be thinking of you and hoping you get this all under control. I'm so glad you shared this with us.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm so sorry for you! I too ended up in the ER many years ago with ulcers. I'm pretty sure mine were caused by over use of asprin, as I have severe migraines and would take anything to stop the pain. I'm sure it just ate through my stomach! Back then I took a lot of Mylanta 2 and it kept it under control. I now have a perscription for migraines, so I don't take so much asprin.

Sure hope you feel better soon! It is amazing how much pain they cause!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sorry u r havin probs...reminds me of the time i had gallbladder issues...that was the worst time of my life. but i wont go into that haha... well i hope u feel better soon!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Im so sorry to hear about this. This posts worries me because i am 16 and have been going through smaller versions of this for about 2 years. I used to have severe attacks like yours and then i thought it was because i was allergic to chocolate so i stoped eating it and then pain got considereably better. The pain has continued and i have gone to the doctor several times and done blood test but nothing. I have an appointment in February with a GI doctor but that is so long away its very dificult to get an appointement. I hope this doesn't happen to me. I just want you to know i know exactly how you feel and it is a terrible pain and wish you the best.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I am so sorry you are having such pain but it does sound as though your doctors are giving you medication to help somewhat. We are here for you to talk to and we will be thinking of you.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Cindy I am so sorry you are going through this, at such a young age. I am not sure if your ulcers are caused by a bacterial infection or not but there has been a lot of study in which they found some ulcers are actually caused by a bacteria and can be treated with the use of 2 or 3 anit-biotics. This treatment can be a cure for some types of ucers and perhaps you might ask your doctor about it, just to see if you have that type of situation. I am not sure if the treatment is in use here or not but I know we have had it in Australia for some time now.
Just a thought. I sure hope you are getting better though and not having any more symptoms.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
OMG, poor you. My husband suffers from his stomach every once in a while. He spends nights with unbearable pain and sick to the stomach. Last time he had a crisis the doctor put him on a 2 month
teatment for a bacteria called "helicobacter pilori", since then he is doing great and this happenned after almost a year of misdiagnosis.
I wish they can find what`s wrong with you very soon and give you proper treatment.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
No advice, but big hugs and prayers coming your way!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
OMG, poor you. My husband suffers from his stomach every once in a while. He spends nights with unbearable pain and sick to the stomach. Last time he had a crisis the doctor put him on a 2 month
teatment for a bacteria called "helicobacter pilori", since then he is doing great and this happenned after almost a year of misdiagnosis.
I wish they can find what`s wrong with you very soon and give you proper treatment.
[/B]
MMO that is the same treatment I was trying to think of. It's good to know that it is used here in the US now as I had heard that it wasn't yet approved by the AMA, but it must have been. That is great. :D

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
[/B]
MMO that is the same treatment I was trying to think of. It's good to know that it is used here in the US now as I had heard that it wasn't yet approved by the AMA, but it must have been. That is great. :D
[/B]
Actually he got the treatment in Mexico. I don`t know if it`s been approved in the USA, sorry!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Cindi,

I am so sorry that you are experiencing so much right now. I am not sure you want someone that you can comizerate with but I too am having major health problems at the moment. I actually am out of work for right now, have been since the beginning of December. My pain level is mostly up, but does get better on certain days. One of my problems is Pancreatitis which is excruciating when it hits. It does come on sudden at times and can cause the vomiting that you are describing. I am sure they have checked this out...right?

I also have a bunch of other things that are happening with my body which are all scary...today was a bad day all the way around....with pain. Thank God for codine is all I can say.

I do hope you are feeling better soon, fight for quality healthcare....that seems to be the biggest battle. My prayers are with you.

Susan

·
Registered
699 Posts
Cindy

Make sure you take a good vacation. A lot of times, ulcers are caused and aggrevated by stress which raises your cortisol level. Increased acid production can burn your stomach lining. Make sure you eat very bland food for a while to not aggrevate the ulcer. Ulcers can also be caused by H. Pylori. The doctors should have done a diagnosis of how severe the ulcer is- if it it caused by H. Pylori, they should have given you some antibiotics. If they feel that it is not severe, then the treatment is simply "lifestyle" treatment. Try not to stress, take time off when needed and eat right. Keep in mind that those pains can also result from irritable bowel movement (IBS). Please ask your doctor about that as well. There is medication to make you feel better.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
[/B]
[/B]
Actually he got the treatment in Mexico. I don`t know if it`s been approved in the USA, sorry!
[/B]
Yes, it's a treatment modality used here in the US.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THank you all so much!
I feel like I might cry!

To answer Teddyandme, they did check for Pancreatitis, but my pancreatic enzymes aren't elevated, neither are my liver enzymes (so not hepatitis) or my bile salts (gallbladder).... It's almost certainly ulcers. I have been wracked by hunger for several months now, especially after fasting, and apparently that and weight gain are both symptoms of duodenal ulcers. Sigh.

Scoobydoo and mmo, I know about H. Pylori and ulcers because of med school, and they did a blood test for the antibody to H Pylori. THe results aren't back yet, but if they're positive, then the docs will likely add antibiotics to my Aciphex (like Prilosec but stronger) and painkillers. I have had to take the painkillers already twice today. Stupid ulcer, heal already! (At least the lortab works though!)

Anyway, thanks again for all the support and I totally love you guys so very much!

It's interesting to be on the "patient" end instead of the "future doctor" end of medicine though!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have stomach and esophageal issues as well. I have been on so many medications, but I was diagnosed with Heliobacter Pilori (sp?)as well-I was put on a very strong antibiotic, and VIOLA! I felt SO much better!! There are only a couple of AB's that work for that.

I am on Nexxium (the little purple pill...lol) and it is a miracle worker. I have acid reflux disease, and haven't had a symptom since starting it. I also have gall bladder issues-(Symptoms-sharp pain under right shoulder blade-who would have thought?) avoiding heavily greasy foods has done the trick.

I still drink coffee (a STUPID amount) and have no problem with it-If you're throwing up bile, I'd make sure to have some kind of bread or cracker to keep the acid to a minimum. I'd ask for Nexxium (NOT Prilosec-my md swears it's junk) and see if it gives you relief. Nexxium has an extra med in it that helps heal damage. I swear I can feel the cooling process as it works.

Stress is a major factor in most stomach disturbances! I'd also try to avoid pain meds-they can actually increase gastric problems in the long run.

I hope you feel better soon-no one needs to suffer at any time, but especially around the holidays!!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Cindy, I hope your GI Dr has given you an Upper GI exam, which I'm guessing he must have if they they are testing for HPB . He cannot dx Peptic Ulcer disease without one. If he has given you that dx and you have not had an upper GI get yourself to another Dr IN A HURRY. There are alot of different reasons for irritation of the stomach and unless an upper GI is done it is impossible to know what the exact cause is and to know how to treat it. For example, I have erosive gastritis and espophagitis which has the same symptoms as an ulcer but the cause and treatment are different. Without an upper GI and biposy my Dr. would not have know which to treat me for. He originally thought I had an ulcer but when I didn't respond to treatment scheduled the upper GI and am I glad he did!! He also told me that both the ulcer and gastritis can take up to THREE months to heal!!!! YUCK!!! Good Luck!!

There are alot of acid inhibitor pills out there and they are all basically the same, the funny thing about them is that what works for one person doesn't work for another even when they are in the same class of drug. So if one drug doesn't work you have to keep pressing your Dr until you find one that does. Protonix and Nexium did nothing for me, I switched to Prevacid and it was like night and day. I also take Carafate 4 times a day (which has made an amzing difference in the vomiting) , without it my stomach hurts all the time. You said you had your gall bladder checked, did they do an ultra sound? Orifinally they thought my gallbladder was fine but just recently they did an ultrasound and found lots of very tiny stones and have decided that that isn't helping so after the holidays I'm having my gall bladder out before it become a problem.

You have my sympathy AND empathy!!!!! Nobody realizes what a PAIN stomach problems can be til they have them!!!!!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Hope you get the treatment that works for you. My hubby suffers from gastro-intestional problems. Has had pancreatitis, gallbladder problems ( eventually removed) diverticilitis.. you neame it. each has their own issues.. ALL caused pain.
Hope you feel better real soon!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts