Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know if grass makes the doggies sick? Harley is eating everything in sight outside & he was like hacking all day yesterday but nothing came up. Today he seems better but I was wondering if he ate too much grass or possibly something else we didn't see
He is laying around more but not actually hacking today.Upset belly??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Originally posted by Harleysmom@Apr 10 2005, 10:50 AM
Do you know if grass makes the doggies sick? Harley is eating everything in sight outside & he was like hacking all day yesterday but nothing came up. Today he seems better but I was wondering if he ate too much grass or possibly something else we didn't see
He is laying around more but not actually hacking today.Upset belly??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51074
[/QUOTE]

Dogs eat grass when they are sick, it helps them feel better, but in this case I would take him to the vet or at least call a vet to find out if some medication might help him feel better.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Originally posted by Malteze@Apr 10 2005, 12:23 PM
Dogs eat grass when they are sick, it helps them feel better, but in this case I would take him to the vet or at least call a vet to find out if some medication might help him feel better.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51084
[/QUOTE]

I think that's an old wives tale. I forget why they really eat grass but I would have him checked out anyway just in case he ate something he shouldn't have. Also was the grass chemically treated for bugs?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Grass helps them throw up too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 10 2005, 07:58 PM
Grass helps them throw up too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51178
[/QUOTE]

I did a little web search on this and just about all the sites had a different reason.
one said that dogs liked the taste of grass and that is why they eat it. As far as dogs using grass to throw up, one site said maybe, another said yes, and another one said that dogs are not smart enough to figure out that grass would make them throw up. Of course maltese would be an exception as far as the smart thing, so for me Buddy being very smart, I will stick with my original post and say if Buddy has an upset stomach he will eat grass. They all agreed with the post about grass that has been treated, don't let the dog near it. One site said that dogs use grass as a kinda of doggie newspaper to find out what going on in their domain. Grass may be a way that dogs floss their teeth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts