Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
# Has anybody tried this for ear mites , my vet recommended this just was wondering if anybody has used this also for heart worms to I seen. I was just wondering if anybody new anything more about this.

Treat Ear Mites

In our opinion, Ivomec® (Ivermectin) is the most effective treatment to date. It is now commonly used by a number of veterinarians in the U.S. for the treatment of ear mites in cats and dogs. This is the same prescription medicine used in monthly heartworm preventative tablets for cats and dogs and requires that you take your pet to the vet for treatment.

There are two methods of application - by injection or topically in the ear canals.

It has been our experience that this is absolutely the most effective method of eliminating an ear mite infestation in a large group of animals.
he most common uses in small animal practice for ivermectin would include:

* Monthly prevention of heartworm infection
* Treatment of ear mite situations
* Clearing heartworm larvae in active heartworm infection
* Treatment of sarcoptic, notoedric or demodectic mange

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by Teaco@Sep 23 2005, 09:14 PM
# Has anybody tried this for ear mites , my vet recommended this just was wondering if anybody has used this  also for heart worms to I seen.  I was just wondering if anybody new anything more about this.

Treat Ear Mites

In our opinion, Ivomec® (Ivermectin) is the most effective treatment to date. It is now commonly used by a number of veterinarians in the U.S. for the treatment of ear mites in cats and dogs. This is the same prescription medicine used in monthly heartworm preventative tablets for cats and dogs and requires that you take your pet to the vet for treatment.

There are two methods of  application - by injection or topically in the ear canals.

It has been our experience that this is absolutely the most effective method of eliminating an ear mite infestation in a large group of animals.
he most common uses in small animal practice for ivermectin would include:

* Monthly prevention of heartworm infection
    * Treatment of ear mite situations
    * Clearing heartworm larvae in active heartworm infection
    * Treatment of sarcoptic, notoedric or demodectic mange
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102737
[/QUOTE]

Our rescue group uses it for mange and heartworm preventative. I have not heard of anyone using it for ear mites.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I use it with the big rescues here, and I think it's great. I'll tell you the dosage the next time we talk. I just put the small amount required on a piece of bread and make sure the dogs eat it. It is good for ear mites. I use Revolution on my Maltese which takes care of the mites as well as fleas and heartworm treatment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Sep 24 2005, 02:48 PM
Yes, Ivermectin is affective against ear mites. I would probably opt to use a topical like Tresaderm. If treating the ears is difficult, Revolution (selemectin) is a nice compromise since it comes pre-packaged to dose. It kills ear mites as well.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102913
[/QUOTE]
We have used it in our Pugs as well, but I know my husband is very careful to weigh the pug. He is careful because too much can kill the dog.

I have never heard of appying it in the ear? What is the amount you use?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by clmaltese+Sep 27 2005, 12:24 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Sep 24 2005, 02:48 PM
Yes, Ivermectin is affective against ear mites. I would probably opt to use a topical like Tresaderm. If treating the ears is difficult, Revolution (selemectin) is a nice compromise since it comes pre-packaged to dose. It kills ear mites as well.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102913
We have used it in our Pugs as well, but I know my husband is very careful to weigh the pug. He is careful because too much can kill the dog.

I have never heard of appying it in the ear? What is the amount you use?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103839
[/B][/QUOTE]
This was premixed from the vet deluted but she told me to put a 1/2 cc to 1 cc per dog in there ear. I did it and have had no problems went to get the Rev. but they didn't have it she said this would work and to follow up in two weeks so it has to be very very deluted.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Missy had to have this for the case of sarcoptic mange she had.. I want to add we were told to NOT give the heartgard in that same month.. so do check with the vet about when to do that... don't want to have too much in the system.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Sep 27 2005, 06:29 PM
Missy had to have this for the case of sarcoptic mange she had.. I want to add we were told to NOT give the heartgard in that same month.. so do check with the vet about when to do that... don't want to have too much in the system.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104112
[/QUOTE]
Ok thanks . I won't give them no heartguard for a month for sure! But will also ask the vet about that to.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
The solution for the ears may be so mild it wouldn't make a difference.. and the vet may just want you to postpone for a week or so.. if indeed it was due within the same time frame as giving for the ears.. or it may be so mild itwon't make any difference. Missy had injections so it was a bit different case.. but think the vet should be consulted before giving the heartgard,, just in case.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
u gotta make a .01% solution of ivomec for the ears..i think the bottle is a 1% solution so i take .1 ivomec and 10ml of water...but i guess u can use mineral oil too.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Sep 27 2005, 09:37 PM
u gotta make a .01% solution of ivomec for the ears..i think the bottle is a 1% solution  so i take .1 ivomec and 10ml of water...but i guess u can use mineral oil too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104199
[/QUOTE]
this is mixed with mineral oil vet said

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.