Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Izzy has always had the sweetest little puppy breath but lately she's been getting nasty breath. It's knock-ya-out nasty breath. Could it be because she's teething, actually towards the end of her teething. She hasn't been eating any different food at all.
Does anyone have any experience with this or advice to give us? I want my lil' sweet breath back and send this lil' death breath away.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
When this happened to Peanut it was because some of his puppy teeth hadn't fallen out, but the adults already grew in. So in between the double row of teeth was collecting all kinds of gook that I couldn't get out with the toothbrush...I don't know, maybe Iz has some double teeth? Maybe it's a tooth that came loose, but hasn't fallen out yet. Gook is stuck under it. Just some ideas
Man, I remember though, Peanut had dragon breath!! Good luck! Lil Iz is such a big girl now!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I have to agree that it could be food scraps caught in her teeth or it could be that she has a bad tooth. Another thought is she may have a throat infection and perhaps a visit to the vet might be a good idea to rule out an illness that can be rectified. Any sudden changes should be checked.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm glad you asked this question, I have been wondering the same thing about Indy...
I didn't know for sure, but I figured it was because of the teething. Indy is... really teething ...... and the other day I actually found one of his little teeth. I have dental wipes for dogs.. that have a mint taste and I have been massageing his gums with them.. his teeth and tongue also, it does seem to help the bad breath at least temporarily
He likes the taste too....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
it could also be a tooth fell out and the gum is exposed tryin to heal. That also smells.
When they are teething they have bad breath. Provide lots of chewing stuff.
I would say greenies but I don't use those anymore. Mind you they did do wonders for chelseys and chester breath. I'm just affaid to use them now.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Been there, done that!! Sis's breath was so bad it actually took YOUR breath away....teething, trapped food and all of that was the problem. Vet said, lots of "tugging" type toys to encourage those baby teeth to come out, brushing 2x a day with CET and we let her have pig hide chew bones (she hates greenies and the Vet hates the beef hide chews). I swear that after that last tooth came out it was only a matter of days until her breath was back to normal...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I just went through this with our puppy. She had 5 baby teeth pulled on Sunday. Her baby teeth were collecting food under the gum line and causing irritation and odor. To make things worse, two pre-molars were danglers that with each bite of food cut into her gums making them sore and infected. She is now like a new dog...her breath is sweet and her gums are no longer inflamed. She finishes her antibiotics today so we go back to the vet tomorrow for a followup. I would strongly suggest at least a call to your vet. If we had waited any longer, her gums and teeth could have become dangerously infected. How old is your puppy? Ours is 9 months.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whew, that's a relief to hear that others went through it. Izzy has an appointment for her spaying and baby teeth removal on June 13th so I will just wait till then for the vet to check it. Originally her spay date was July 6th but since we were on the wait list, they called with a cancellation and it got moved up. I'm thrilled that it's sooner, terrified that it's sooner. LOL Izzy is 6 months old and is in the middle of teething. She has a zillion chew toys and right now her favorite one is a rubber baby pacifier.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am so glad you got the date moved up! yay!

Did Valetta have to go under again for her teeth? I expected that all the babies would be removed when Phoebe was spayed, but they were not. I guess they need some of them so we are going through this again with loose teeth and stinky breath. I expect it will get worse before its better so I'm glad Salty made that post so I know its expected.

Good luck to the little dragon acrobat!!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Jun 3 2005, 11:01 AM
I am so glad you got the date moved up!  yay!

Did Valetta have to go under again for her teeth?  I expected that all the babies would be removed when Phoebe was spayed, but they were not.  I guess they need some of them so we are going through this again with loose teeth and stinky breath.  I expect it will get worse before its better so I'm glad Salty made that post so I know its expected. 

Good luck to the little dragon acrobat!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68606
[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, yes she did have to go under...the vet was able to remove the first three danglers, but the canines were in too deeply. Her adult canines were complete in and the baby ones just never fell out (top only). The three danglers were all pre-molars. The vet said that one of the three might not have an adult tooth behind it as none had broken the surface. But today, I noticed that it's coming in just at the gum line. It looks like she'll have a full mouth of beautiful pearly whites.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Jun 3 2005, 03:43 PM
It looks like she'll have a full mouth of beautiful pearly whites.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68689
[/QUOTE]

oh thats good news
I just read that other thread that said they sometimes don't get them all and that was the first I'd heard of that. Phoebe's is getting baaaad its so gross

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry+Jun 4 2005, 03:22 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Jun 3 2005, 03:43 PM
It looks like she'll have a full mouth of beautiful pearly whites.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68689
oh thats good news
I just read that other thread that said they sometimes don't get them all and that was the first I'd heard of that. Phoebe's is getting baaaad its so gross

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68856

[/B][/QUOTE]

Indy's breath is soooo bad right now, I did a really good check in his mouth this morning and rubbed his teeth and gums with a dental wipe. One of his tiny front teeth fell out while I was doing that
so now I have two of his teeth saved..LOL. He has a couple of danglers in the front still and his molars are breaking through as well and a couple of teeth in the front. Can't wait for this to be all over, my baby has breath that will send any body running in the other direction

1 - 14 of 14 Posts