Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Izzy is going to be taking her first airplane ride from Pennsylvania to Texas on Monday. She's flying in cabin with us in her Juicy Bag. No layovers. She's had her shots and a well puppy certificate of health packed with her. She has her dog license and a record of her shots etc. Our friends in Texas have already purchased her a bag of her Chicken Soup for the Puppy Soul but we've packed one days worth of food for her, along with her nutrical. I'm cutting the pee pads into two so she can go often if needed.

Any other ideas or suggestions? We'll be gone until May 4th. I'd appreciate your advice and good luck wishes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yay! Welcome to Texas!!!

I hope your trip goes smoothly, and you have fun while you're here.

It's been in the 70's all week long, so don't forget to bring comfy clothes!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Good Luck to Izzy (and you)!
I am sure she will do great. Miko had his first airplane ride when he was only 12 weeks old (we traveled from Los Angeles to Nashville). Since then, he has become quite a traveler. The airlines won't let you take them out of the bag, but the strictness of this rule varies. Pretty much every time I do end up taking Miko out of the bag and he sleeps on my lap and when the stewardess walk by, I just cover him up with a blanket. I know its against the rules, but flying with your pet is quite expensive and I also worry about the lack of oxygen under the seat. Plus, once you are up in the air, what are they going to do if you don't put her/him in the bag? Also, I try to limit water intake a little bit (so he wouldn't need to pee as often) but I give Miko some little pieces of ice.

Good luck and have a great flight!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If she has a baby blanket then sleep with it the night before you go so you can put something in with her to sleep with. This will calm her down on the flight and when she's in a strange place (TX). Not that TX is strange, anywhere to her will be strange. If she doesn't have a baby blanket then just give her the shirt you wore the day before.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Good luck on Izzy's first flight!!! I put one of Peanut's favorite toys in the carrier with him, it doesn't have a squeaker (I didn't want him squeaking away for 3 hours) and his fav nylabone. On his first flight, after the initial fear of being in a new place with all those strangers around, he slept through the flight. I think it really helped us that Peanut feels so safe in his carrier. Good luck and have a safe flight!!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
When I flew with Sunny i had his blanket a nylabone a greenie and a silent squeaky toy in the bag with him.....i bought the meduim sherpa bag so i could stick in all sorts of stuff in the bag with him lol it was almost the same size as his kennle. The other people on my plane who also had a dog with them (a super cute 6 year old maltese) thought this was just awful but the vet said i could give him half a benadrlly on the plane so he would sleep so I did that. I didnt want him getting bored halfway threw the flight and barking, so he ended up sleeping the whole way.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
aww, good luck!!! and could you please take pictures??? i think lilly took pics of sunny and they were SOOO cute!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Have a good flight! I'm sure all will go well with Izzy. We will be flying with Beastie at the end of May from Seattle (home) to NY and NJ (former home). I'll be looking to you for pointers!
Have fun!!!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Welcome to Texas ! Depending where you go in Texas it's already warm. So pack your summer clothes. 74° today, beautiful day, but expecting some rain on Monday (this is Houston).

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Have a great trip Linda and Izzy! Let us know how she did with the bag!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody for the great tips. I didn't even think of the temporary tag idea, but it's a good one.

We're all packed and ready to go. Izzy's bag is packed, food is waiting for her in Texas and she's getting a bath first thing tomorrow so she's beeeeeutiful. Thanks for the well wishes, I'll post pictures when we return next week.

<span style="font-family:Optima">Izzy Flies the Friendly Skies!</span>

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
jongee did pretty well on her plane ride when she was 8 months old, flew from LA to wash.DC, about 6 hr flight

i didnt take jongee out of her bag coz i was scared but i did keep the bag on my lap the whole trip and even put my whole arm in her bag so that she wouldnt be too frightened..having her carrier on my lap was fine with the flight attendants too, except i had to keep her carrier on the floor during take off and landing, flight attendants told me to

i flew on america west if my memory is right

i put her chewing stick in her bag too, she chewed on it for some time but mostly slept, i didnt give her any tranquilizers either that i got from the vet

i hope u have a safe and wonderful trip!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts