Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an appointment today at 4:20 for Izzy's first checkup. Any suggestions on what I should ask the vet in particular?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Feb 3 2005, 01:58 PM
We have an appointment today at 4:20 for Izzy's first checkup.  Any suggestions on what I should ask the vet in particular?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33163
[/QUOTE]

I'm no expert on this but I would have him do a stool check for parasites, etc. Does she need a worming... I believe this is done on young puppies until about 12 weeks or so. You may want him to check her knees to make sure they're OK... not sure if he can tell for sure at this young age if there is a problem, though. Well, as you can tell, I know just enough to be "dangerous"!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't have any suggestions, as I have not been there yet myself!! I do know I will be asking our Vet if the Lyme disease shot is really necessary for Sisse as we do not have that problem here in Arizona.....I read something a while back about how you should ask for "single" dose shots for innoculations and rabies as if the "multiple dose" bottles sometimes are not mixed up properly and they pup either gets to much or not enough?? Does that sound right to all you expert Momma's out there??

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 3 2005, 01:45 PM
I don't have any suggestions, as I have not been there yet myself!!  I do know I will be asking our Vet if the Lyme disease shot is really necessary for Sisse as we do not have that problem here in Arizona.....I read something a while back about how you should ask for "single" dose shots for innoculations and rabies as if the "multiple dose" bottles sometimes are not mixed up properly and they pup either gets to much or not enough??  Does that sound right to all you expert Momma's out there??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33167
[/QUOTE]

Asking for single dose sounds correct, but I've heard that it is because some dogs can have bad reactions if they get them all at once. Never heard about the multi doses not being mixed right. I've read that some small dogs have really bad reactions to the Lyme shot.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just ask about heartworm, flea control stuff, deworming, food...anything you can think of. Also don't take your baby around with you until she has all her shots. I lost my first Maltese from Parvo so Bella was in lock down until her last set of shots. It's hard not to take her around and show her off but trust me, there are so many deseases and viruses out there and your baby is still so young that she can catch anything especially at the pet supplies stores.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I guess I didn't explain that right.....single dose meaning the bottle the medication comes in is only good for one dose. The Multi-dose bottles may have 5 or more "doses" of the same medication and they can use it on 5 different dogs. Does that sound better ??? I did read that you should space out their shots to not get them all at once, as if they do have a reaction you are not sure which one it was.......

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 3 2005, 01:58 PM
I guess I didn't explain that right.....single dose meaning the bottle the medication comes in is only good for one dose.  The Multi-dose bottles may have 5 or more "doses" of the same medication and they can use it on 5 different dogs.  Does that sound better ???  I did read that you should space out their shots to not get them all at once, as if they do have a reaction you are not sure which one it was.......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33173
[/QUOTE]

Ok, that makes sense.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You should find out what vaccine they carry. You want a DHPP (like Vanguard 5) withOUT lepto and corona. Your puppy should not be vaccinated for lyme, lepto, or giardia.

The first visit is a good time to ask about how they schedule the spay, what age the recommend. Make sure they use isoflurane gas for anesthesia. Be sure to discuss that you want pre-anesthetic bloodwork to check her liver function before surgery. Also ask when she will need upcoming shots (finish her DHPP series and a rabies, bordetella if she'll be going to school and grooming).

Usually by how the vet responds to your questions you can get a good feel for them. If you have specific questions, write them down so you remember what they are. Find out how long appt slots are. You can always save questions for her next visit.

If you have heartworm in your area, they'll want to start her on preventative. In most areas fleas and or ticks can be a problem so a topical product will also be sent home with you (Frontline or Advantage).

Don't forget to bring her vaccine records from the breeder.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have I mentioned how invaluable you all are??

Izzy weighed 1.4 lbs at the vets. She got a good bill of health. Luckily she provided me with a stool sample 1/2 hour before we left. She has no parasites in her stool. She has no ear mites, no fleas. Her vision was good, her tummy perfect, her heartrate good, her temp good. She has an appointment in a few weeks for the last in her series of shots. Her gums looked great but she had some dirt in her right ear and they showed me how to clean them. She didn't get any shots today because she didn't need the next series yet.

The vet hospital is the one that we've used for 20 years through various pets. They asked about the socialization between Izzy and Cricket (our schnauzer) which I thought was nice that they asked. Thankfully, I don't have to find a vet, I love the one we have.

Now poor Izzy is exhausted, she cried all the way home to be held but I had to keep her in her carrier.

I wrote down all the info here and put it into her folder to take to the vets the next time. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I'm glad her first visit went so well!!!

You might take some shorter car rides every day or two just around the neighborhood to help her get use to it. As always, a small yummy treat will help make it a positive experience.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Glad to hear that all is well. I remember how I held my breath until Catcher's first vet visit was over.... I remember thinking... I don't care what you find because I'm not giving this little guy up no matter what. I was totally in love with him after just one day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts