Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered if this is anything that I should be concerned about. Has this happened to any of your pups?

Jack hasn't eaten any food today at all (and it's 8:20 pm, way after breakfast and dinner time!). He has been sleepy and curled up most of the day, not wanting to play (which is unusual). He has peed and poo-ed twice or three times today (looked normal) and he barfed up a bit of clear-yellow stuff this morning too...

And now he's very gurgly. Gurgle, grumble, rumble, squeeek... Lots of noises from his belly region! I know he must be hungry, but he's refusing all my attempts to give him food. INCLUDING TREATS and even snausages, he won't eat anything, and he won't drink very much water, either.

Maybe he has such bad gas that it's making him not hungry? What's going on?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
did he eat ne thing he wasnt supposed to yesterday? did he only throw up the one time? how old is he and any recent change in his daily routine?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's 18 weeks old, weighs about 6 pounds, and yesterday he ate some soy nut butter for the first time (like peanut butter but without peanuts, made of soy beans) that fell on the floor -- he eats a lot of weird things though.

He only threw up once, and it was only a tiny bit. He's been sleeping a lot, but he still can be frisky when I take him out; and he does still want to play with people a little bit... just not as much as usual...

That's all I can think of..

Maybe the soynut butter gave him gas?

-------

EDITED TO ADD:

WHEE!
Right now he's eating some of his kibble that I soaked in water for an hour or two -- he's WOLFING it! it's soft so maybe that's why? He has been teething lately. I saw today that he has a big old canine busting through the side of his mouth -- that must hurt him! BUT YAY! Eating!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
good glad he is eating..whatever happened it must be over.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Soy will do that to humans! Being a vegetarian/almost vegan, I eat a lot of soy products, when I started putting soy cheese and soy milk in place of cow cheese and milk, I got pretty crampy on occassion. After time your body will adjust, but I dont know if I would want a puppy to go through that!
Rex goes through spurts where he doesnt eat a whole lot, but then he will make up for it the next day.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
THis morning, Little C's stomach was rumbling like mad and she didn't want to eat. But, she fiercely guarded her treat from Sir N for over four hours. She had no intentions of eating, but didn't want him to get it either. THen, she suddenly got up, picked up the treat, walked over to Sir N, spit it out in front of him and walked away. He wolfed it down.

She's fine now....not sure what was up with her this morning.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Jul 7 2005, 05:55 AM
THis morning, Little C's stomach was rumbling like mad and she didn't want to eat.  But, she fiercely guarded her treat from Sir N for over four hours.  She had no intentions of eating, but didn't want him to get it either.  THen, she suddenly got up, picked up the treat, walked over to Sir N, spit it out in front of him and walked away.  He wolfed it down. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78923
[/QUOTE]

Oh, how cute! How adorable! What a Sweetie-Pie Little C is and I'll bet Sir N agrees......

Pico had frequent spells of the tummy rumbling, squeaking, not eating, stretching and licking air until I took whole wheat out of his diet. He still gets a tiny bit of wheat in his Cheerios and PupCorn but it seems the Whole Wheat was too much for him. It is such a relief that he doesn't have to go through that any more.

Rice is also out of his diet since I started home cooking for him. He gets oatmeal in the recipes I make and he's gained a tad of weight and loves my cooking!

Sounds like this was just an isolated episode but do be sure to have blood panels done every year just to catch any problems that might develop.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
This has happened with Scooby on two occasions and he has slept most of the day feeling sorry for himself. Once it was because he actually ate the head off one of his latex toys. Once he brought it up he was ok, back to his food and playing normally yet again. Then again I discovered another toy with some bits missing, but no ill effect but the next poop told the story because the undigested bits were passed through without incident. Now he has no liberty to do that because he is fully supervised with all destructable toys.
I would say if your puppy had been like that for more than a day it would be best to get him to the vet to rule out perhaps an insect bite or something he has eaten that is caught in his digestive tract.
I am very happy that all is well with your little baby and no harm is done.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent+Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-NC's Mom
@Jul 7 2005, 05:55 AM
THis morning, Little C's stomach was rumbling like mad and she didn't want to eat.  But, she fiercely guarded her treat from Sir N for over four hours.  She had no intentions of eating, but didn't want him to get it either.  THen, she suddenly got up, picked up the treat, walked over to Sir N, spit it out in front of him and walked away.  He wolfed it down. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78923

Oh, how cute! How adorable! What a Sweetie-Pie Little C is and I'll bet Sir N agrees......

Pico had frequent spells of the tummy rumbling, squeaking, not eating, stretching and licking air until I took whole wheat out of his diet. He still gets a tiny bit of wheat in his Cheerios and PupCorn but it seems the Whole Wheat was too much for him. It is such a relief that he doesn't have to go through that any more.

Rice is also out of his diet since I started home cooking for him. He gets oatmeal in the recipes I make and he's gained a tad of weight and loves my cooking!

Sounds like this was just an isolated episode but do be sure to have blood panels done every year just to catch any problems that might develop.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78960
[/B][/QUOTE]

I was just going to say that it sounds like Pico's Symptoms.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, thanks for all your replies, you guys! I really appreciate the support. Jack's still not feeling better really.

Yesterday he didn't eat at all all day, not even treats. He seemed sleepy, and he would run and play, but not for very long before lying down and looking exhausted. Finally at around 12:30 last night, right before we went to bed, he went to a dish of food I had put out (kibble soaked in water to make it soft, in case it was his teeth bothering him; I had put out like 4 bowls of varying kinds of food to tempt him with throughout the day) and WOLFED down the kibble! I was so glad!

Then, he got in the bed with me, and within 30 minutes had barfed up half of the food on my bedspread :new_Eyecrazy:

Then... after I cleaned up, in the middle of the night, around 5:30, he barfed again; more food.

This morning when I took him out to pee/poo, he was frisky and all, but his poo was a really tiny little dark brown turd
and I'm not sure if he's really been digesting anything, or just barfing and then eating the barf. (Yes, that's gross, I know.)

Now he's still not eating... I bought him some canned puppy Nutro Max to tempt him again, but to no avail. I guess he'll eat when he's hungry?

I will try to get him to eat soaked kibble again tonight, but I'll limit the amount, hopefully that will keep him from eating so much that he yaks it in the bed again...

I do hope that he is okay. Maybe he ate a bug? Or some paint from where he chewed on the wall a little bit? I don't have a car right now (my car got hit-and-runned in the street, so it's in the shop getting repaired) so I can't drive him anywhere -- what to do..

At least he seems all right, he will play and run around outside, but then he's so tired afterward. Maybe like Pico he's allergic to something?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I would definitely take him to the vet ASAP. Whatever it is, he may need some medicine to feel better. It's been a couple days since he has not felt well...

I see that your car is not working.... can you get a friend to drive you to the vet? Better to do that now that gosh forbid, having to find help in the middle of the night if he gets worse.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 8 2005, 04:14 PM
I would definitely take him to the vet. Whatever it is, he may need some medicine to feel better. It's been a couple days since he has not felt well...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=79500
[/QUOTE]
I agree. I would try to get him to the vet before the weekend, just in case.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He's feeling better! Ate kibble (not very much, I took it away after a bit) and he's playing chase and "fetch" and "chase the ice cube".

I opened his mouth just now and saw that he's lost SIX of his front baby teeth since Tuesday!! SIX!!! and two of the little holes are bleedy. Maybe that's why he's been iffy about eating! I am soaking the kibble and keeping him happy. I will call the vet in the morning if he doesn't feel totally good again... There's an animal hospital about half a mile away I can carry him to, if need be. Hopefully the Hurricane Dennis will not be ON TOP OF ME then!

Thank you ALL for all your support

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by cindysilver@Jul 8 2005, 06:24 PM
He's feeling better!  Ate kibble (not very much, I took it away after a bit) and he's playing chase and "fetch" and "chase the ice cube". 

I opened his mouth just now and saw that he's lost SIX of his front baby teeth since Tuesday!! SIX!!! and two of the little holes are bleedy.  Maybe that's why he's been iffy about eating!  I am soaking the kibble and keeping him happy.  I will call the vet in the morning if he doesn't feel totally good again... There's an animal hospital about half a mile away I can carry him to, if need be.  Hopefully the Hurricane Dennis will not be ON TOP OF ME then!

Thank you ALL for all your support 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=79535
[/QUOTE]

I swear I worry about everyone's babies as if they were my own!! I'm glad there is a hospital near by just in case. Maybe he ate a few teeth and they upset his tummy. I would feed very small meals and see if he keeps them down. Maybe try some rice, which is easy on the tummy....

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Next time you go to the store, buy a couple jars of baby food turkey or chicken. You might also get a box of baby rice cereal. Then, ask the pharmacy for a couple syrenges without needles. If you have a problem in the future, just mix the baby food in with some rice cereal and feed him. This morning, Kim (who is now almost seven weeks old) was threatening a sugar low. I stayed home with her until almost two, feeding her first the baby meat as well as a little Nutrical. Next feeding was cereal, meat, and a little vanilla pudding cup mixed in. She pigged out at one, so I knew the worse was over, and I could go to work.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks K/C's Mom and LucyLou -- I did try the rice idea, and he seemed to like it. He's so much better tonight!
I will buy some pureed baby food turkey and some syringes next time I go to the grocery store! Sounds like if this happens more often, I'll have to keep those things in stock.

There's a tornado warning here now, so I better go check the weather channel! THanks again for all your help, guys! :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by cindysilver@Jul 8 2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks K/C's Mom and LucyLou -- I did try the rice idea, and he seemed to like it.  He's so much better tonight! 
  I will buy some pureed baby food turkey and some syringes next time I go to the grocery store!  Sounds like if this happens more often, I'll have to keep those things in stock. 

There's a tornado warning here now, so I better go check the weather channel! THanks again for all your help, guys! :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=79614
[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear he is doing better. Hope the tornado will not touch down near you (or anywhere else, for that matter!).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts