Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into an elderly woman (mother of a patient) who used to breed and show Japanese Chins. I have only seen these on tv, but I can tell you, up close they are gorgeous and adorable. (Maybe my next dog?) Her two dogs, ages 17 and 13, only drink plain unflavored Pedialyte. Anyone heard of this? She said when she used to breed always gave it to her pups and dogs. She claimed it was healthy and extra insurance because toy dogs don't always eat well. I can't argue with her, her dogs were seniors and both looked healthy, clear eyed, and happy. They were quite gray though, and the older one had to have most of its teeth removed, but not till 15 years of age.
Quincymom

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Pedialyte? Isnt that for babies that are dehydrated? or constipated?

Anyway, my bf and I almost got a Japanese chin. We got Noriko instead. They shed. But they are soooooooo adorable. We also decided not to get a chin because there wasn't any breeders near us. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I've never heard of using Pedialyte for dogs. They drink it instead of water? When Peanut was younger he had a bad case of diareha(sp?) and the vet gave us Rebound, which she said was like the dog version of Pedialyte.

Japanese Chins are really cute!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is an electroyte solution for babies with diarrhea. I'm thinking it couldn't be good to have them on Pedialyte and regular food. Must be hard on the kidneys. Still, this lady's dogs were elderly and had been on it all their lives. I was wondering if anyone else ever heard of using it, or is it peculiar to Japanese Chins for some reason. Yes the Chins were cute, I didn't know they shed, they were both about 5 pounds, looked much smaller cause they are fine boned, makes our Maltese look positively sturdy!
Quincymom

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have given Lady unflavored Pedialite per my vet's instructions when she's had a vomiting incident so she doesn't dehydrate. It's to replace electrolites lost from vomiting or diarrhea and is a good thing to have on hand, but I can't imagine giving it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I definitely wouldn't give it to any baby....human or furry....for anything longer than a couple of days. The very best thing for hydration is water. The electrolytes in these drinks are meant to help replace the minerals our bodies lose when we become dehydrated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts