Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started taking over the walking, training with our German Shepherd Ruger because my husband is no longer able to do it. (Health Issue) Belle is just beside herself when she sees me interact with Ruger. Barking and carrying on like a crazy, demon possessed dog. I make sure that I take Belle on her walk first. I also do her workout on obedience with her first. Is this something she will get used to after a period of time. They get along great together (we are always right there with leashes on both because we know what can happen if we are not right there every second watching like hawks). My concern is that if Belle is now jealous will she start out biting at Ruger and showing her jealousy with Ruger and how much will he take. I'm thinking that maybe they can no longer be out together even with us leashing and watching. I don't want to learn by hindsight that I should have expected trouble.
I would appreciate your input.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I think it is easiest to think about this as a type of resource guarding. You are a resource and Belle thinks you are HER personal resource. She is taking charge of the situation and letting you and Ruger know what she wants. My first suggestion would be to institute boot camp/NILIF/the dance/ruff love for the whole family. This will help build your relationship with both dogs and also help them to feel secure in looking to you for guidance instead of taking charge themselves. If they both have to sit or do something else before they receive attention, things will go in a much more orderly manner and one can do a down stay while you pet the other and vice versa.

You can also make taking Ruger out a positive thing for Belle. Have that be a time when she goes in her crate with a fantastic treat to work on (stuffed kong with a little chicken or something irresistable mixed in).

Also, make it a policy to never respond to Belle when she does that type of obnoxious behavior. Leave the room with Ruger and close the door, ignoring Belle. When I first brough my trainer's border collie home Mikey tried to be obnoxious as well because the bc likes to lay in my lap. Every time Mikey did it I got up and took the other dog out of the room and closed Mikey out from us. The behavior was not reinforcing to him so the negative punishment (taking something - me - away to reduce the occurance of a behavior) was effective. We also did a couple weeks of boot camp for refresher.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 25 2005, 12:04 PM
I think it is easiest to think about this as a type of resource guarding. You are a resource and Belle thinks you are HER personal resource. She is taking charge of the situation and letting you and Ruger know what she wants. My first suggestion would be to institute boot camp/NILIF/the dance/ruff love for the whole family. This will help build your relationship with both dogs and also help them to feel secure in looking to you for guidance instead of taking charge themselves. If they both have to sit or do something else before they receive attention, things will go in a much more orderly manner and one can do a down stay while you pet the other and vice versa.

You can also make taking Ruger out a positive thing for Belle. Have that be a time when she goes in her crate with a fantastic treat to work on (stuffed kong with a little chicken or something irresistable mixed in).

Also, make it a policy to never respond to Belle when she does that type of obnoxious behavior. Leave the room with Ruger and close the door, ignoring Belle. When I first brough my trainer's border collie home Mikey tried to be obnoxious as well because the bc likes to lay in my lap. Every time Mikey did it I got up and took the other dog out of the room and closed Mikey out from us. The behavior was not reinforcing to him so the negative punishment (taking something - me - away to reduce the occurance of a behavior) was effective. We also did a couple weeks of boot camp for refresher.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75106
[/QUOTE]
Thank you Jackie! I want this to be positive for both the dogs. Your advice is always so right on and very much appreciated.
Jackie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts