Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Jill in this morning to be spayed. I also had her microchipped and I asked them to check her teeth. Her breath is awful. She is fine. I am picking her up in a couple of hours. I was so worried because she is so small. Anyway, I wanted to share a couple of things with you guys. I had the option of choosing laser surgery. Less healing time, less bleeding and less swelling. It was $40 more but I really think it was worth it.

When they checked her mouth, she had alot of her baby teeth still in there with the adult teeth beside them. The food was getting stuck between them and that is where the bad breath came from. So they pulled the baby teeth. I am so glad that they found that because she really likes to lick noses and her tongue is so fast, you don't see it coming.

Oh well, I just thought that someone out there could use this information. Can't wait to see her. :D

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Glad to hear everything went well.

Nikki is 16 weeks old today and is still pretty small (2.4lbs). I would like to get her spayed when she is 6 months old (beginning of Oct). When Lexi was 6 months old she was 6lbs. I really hope Nikki is starts to grow soon. Otherwise I'm going to be even more worried when her time comes!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
So glad that things went well. Don't think my vet uses the laser. I would have surely opted for that if given a choice.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Glad to hear she is okay. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I wish I would have had the laser option. Chloe got spayed Monday and is still very sore. She weighs 4.7 lbs. She has also had a few potty accidents in the house since her surgery. She was completely housetrained so I am hoping there will be no more accidents after she feels better. Chloe is 7 months old and had to have two baby teeth pulled. I am sure I just made it before her first heat.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I am so glad she is doing well and it is over with.

I chose the laser option for Kallie and Catcher and at the time I couldn't tell that it was that much better. But after reading how sore everyone's babies have been I am glad, now that I did it because K & C didn't appear to be sore at all. Let us know how Jill is in that regard.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jill seems to be doing well the day after. She ate like a horse this morning after having nothing for about a day and a half. She is not her usual self though. Instead of tormenting Jack like she usually does, she is just laying around. She doesn't seem to be in pain. Her incision looks great. She is wearing a "I'm daddy's dog" tank top to keep her from licking her stiches. They gave me some pain medication to give her, but I am not sure I am going to. Anyway, thanks for all the good wishes. I am just so glad it is over.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@Jul 29 2005, 07:43 AM
Jill seems to be doing well the day after.  She ate like a horse this morning after having nothing for about a day and a half.  She is not her usual self though.  Instead of tormenting Jack like she usually does, she is just laying around.  She doesn't seem to be in pain.  Her incision looks great.  She is wearing a "I'm daddy's dog" tank top to keep her from licking her stiches.  They gave me some pain medication to give her, but I am not sure I am going to.  Anyway, thanks for all the good wishes.  I am just so glad it is over.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85644
[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad she is doing so well!! Regarding the pain medication... I had asked my vet about it and he said that new research had showed that dogs are in pain more often than we think they are after surgery. I hated the thought of giving it, also, but I did and I think it helped a lot.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well I am sure glad Jill is doing well and eating, she might need a couple more days before she feels like playing.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Glad she is doing well. And she has her baby breath again. When something gets stuck in their teeth it starts smelling bad. I had to pull out some stuff stuck between Alex's teeth a couple of times. Stuff from the plush toys. Once he came running with a toy hanging on his teeth and could not get it loose.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jul 31 2005, 10:15 PM
Glad she is doing well. And she has her baby breath again. When something gets stuck in their teeth it starts smelling bad. I had to pull out some stuff stuck between Alex's teeth a couple of times. Stuff from the plush toys. Once he came running with a toy hanging on his teeth and could not get it loose.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86316
[/QUOTE]

OH My Goodness. I would be afraid that I would pull his teeth out. Sort of like the felling when I get dental floss caught between mine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jul 29 2005, 08:02 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-maltsmom
@Jul 29 2005, 07:43 AM
Jill seems to be doing well the day after.  She ate like a horse this morning after having nothing for about a day and a half.  She is not her usual self though.  Instead of tormenting Jack like she usually does, she is just laying around.  She doesn't seem to be in pain.  Her incision looks great.  She is wearing a "I'm daddy's dog" tank top to keep her from licking her stiches.  They gave me some pain medication to give her, but I am not sure I am going to.  Anyway, thanks for all the good wishes.  I am just so glad it is over.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85644
I'm so glad she is doing so well!! Regarding the pain medication... I had asked my vet about it and he said that new research had showed that dogs are in pain more often than we think they are after surgery. I hated the thought of giving it, also, but I did and I think it helped a lot.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85653
[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree. I gave her half a pill on Friday (the day after) and half on Saturday. She is fine now. I am having a hard time restricting her activity. Her stitches don't come out for another week.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 28 2005, 05:40 PM
I am so glad she is doing well and it is over with.

I chose the laser option for Kallie and Catcher and at the time I couldn't tell that it was that much better. But after reading how sore everyone's babies have been I am glad, now that I did it because K & C didn't appear to be sore at all. Let us know how Jill is in that regard.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85523
[/QUOTE]

Jill doesn't seem sore at all either. She has this little incision (about 1 1/2 inches) no redness or swelling. If she didn't have black stitches, you would think I drew a line on her stomach.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@Jul 28 2005, 02:45 PM
I took Jill in this morning to be spayed.  I also had her microchipped and I asked them to check her teeth.  Her breath is awful.  She is fine.  I am picking her up in a couple of hours.  I was so worried because she is so small.  Anyway, I wanted to share a couple of things with you guys.  I had the option of choosing laser surgery.  Less healing time, less bleeding and less swelling.  It was $40 more but I really think it was worth it. 

When they checked her mouth, she had alot of her baby teeth still in there with the adult teeth beside them.  The food was getting stuck between them and that is where the bad breath came from.  So they pulled the baby teeth.  I am so glad that they found that because she really likes to lick noses and her tongue is so fast, you don't see it coming. 

Oh well, I just thought that someone out there could use this information. Can't wait to see her.  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85418
[/QUOTE]

how is she doing? i hope she is ok. my vet wants us to have Daisy stay over night. I really want her home but I will do what they want...

Good lUck to your baby!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.