Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kitzel had a BIG day at the vets today---first anesthesia and that he survived well--only vomiting once so far! They removed ALL of his baby teeth w/roots! :aktion033: He was sort of a bloody mess when we collected him tonight---but VERY happy to see us. He had scrambled, soft please, egg for dinner. He is still pretty dopey!
:ThankYou:
He wants to say a BIG thank you to JMM---he thinks you are brilliant---and so do we! Last week the vet checked for LP and was certain he did not have it---JMM suggested that we have her take hip exrays (along w/the knees) since he would be "under" anyhow---BINGO---he got a preliminary DX. of Legg-Perthes Disease---the vet has to exray again in a few weeks to say 100% but she isn't doubting it at this point---even my husband :thumbsup:could see something wrong on the exrays. While we are sad to get the DX. we are happy to have caught it so early---he only started "limping" about 2 wks ago. If the 2nd exray confirms this he will have to undergo surgery to correct it----vet. medicine is a bit different here and my vet has actually done this surgery many times.
So, :SM Rocks!: THANK YOU JMM!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sandi, I am glad your vet has done this surgery before. My Bonbon is living proof that done properly it can give a pup a normal, active life. Please keep us updated.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm so glad you got a diagnosis even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear. JMM is awesome, isn't she? We are very lucky to have her here on SM.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I'm so glad that they found the problem, but I'm so sad that it's something major that will require more surgery.

Prayers for Kitzel

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sandi, I am glad your vet has done this surgery before. My Bonbon is living proof that done properly it can give a pup a normal, active life. Please keep us updated.:thumbsup:
Thank you too for your help and encouragement! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Glad you caught it early and I hope all will work out perfectly. Paula's Matilda had that same condition and she had the surgery. You may want to check with her to get the details of how the recovery period was, etc.

Best of luck!!!

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Glad you caught it early and I hope all will work out perfectly. Paula's Matilda had that same condition and she had the surgery. You may want to check with her to get the details of how the recovery period was, etc.

Best of luck!!!

yes Matilda had legg perthes when she was 7 months old, Sandi pm me if you want to know more. Give kitzel kisses from awntie:wub:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you caught it early!! Now sweet Kitzel can be on his way to recovery!! I hope he'll feel better, very, very soon!! hugs and kissies for the brave boy:wub:

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:
Thanks to all who wrote w/hugs esp. & advice, well wishes, etc. Sorry not to answer every one individually, but I didn't sleep much last night as Kitzi had diarrhea all night ---maybe from the pain meds from yesterday's surgery taking out all his teeth. This was another first for him.
IF your dog has had this at a young age please let me know if your vet recommended waiting until the bone is finished growing????? I thought it was urgent to get on it right away?
Really need advice here! hugs

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kitzi still isn't feeling well and it is almost 5:00 PM here in Greece. He was still having diarrhea this afternoon so I gave him rice/carrotts and a little boiled chicken. I still need advice about how long to wait after the next x-ray to schedule the surgery? Can I wait until the bone stops growing or is it urgent w/in a particular time frame???????????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts