Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have been very consumed with wanting to rescue a pup lately and I really want to help, especially after hearing little Nadia's story and all of the rest of you guys that have opened your hearts to rescues. I have come to the conclusion, though, that now isnt the best time in my life to foster or adopt, even though eventually I really want to, but I thought maybe I could help in other ways. Anyway, I applied to join the Metropolitan Maltese Rescue- it's based in NY, CT and NJ. I signed up to review applications, do home checks, adoption follow-ups, and help organize some meet&greet events down in my area. Now, I dont know if I will be accepted to do all of these tasks but the thought of helping these pups out and the wonderful people that rescue them makes me feel like I am doing a little bit, even if I cant foster or adopt at this time. Has anyone heard of this group? This is the website: http://www.malteserescue.com/ if anyone wants to check it out.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
good luck, thats a great thing you are doing

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
That is wonderful that you want to donate your time in this way. If this group doesn't work out, you may also want to contact Northcentral Maltese Rescue. They are a national organization and they have volunteers all over the country. If you are interested, you may want to send them your resume so they can get to know you and the skills you can offer. George Bailey is the volunteer representative for the East Coast. Here is his contact info: [email protected].

Northcentral Maltese Rescue

Here's some info from their site:

How You Can Help

Volunteering

Rescues cannot survive and continue with their efforts to help Maltese in need without the valuable help of a dedicated volunteer force. These people are willing to donate their time and a little bit of effort to support the rescue cause. This is one area where your work really can make a difference, and you will feel the warmth and satisfaction that comes with knowing you have contributed to the happiness of one little dog. We are headquartered in South East Wisconsin, but we have nationwide coverage and have received dogs from California to Maine to Texas. So where ever you are located, there may come a time when we may need to call on you for help. Here are just a few volunteer services you can provide:

Transportation
Fund Raising
Public Relations
Groomer
Trainer
Foster Care
Donations

·
Registered
831 Posts
That is so wonderful for you to help rescue organizations. Good luck to you

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Metropolitan Maltese Rescue is a great organization! Good for you!!!

I do suggest you read up a bit on 'special-needs" pooches.. as these organizations often get many of these dear pooches. This way you'll have a better "handle" on the applicant's qualifications to adopt.

I do know many are simply "older".. and just need a bit of TLC in their senior years.

Good luck! and hope you get to be one of those helping this babies find good homes!

Terry, Angel Missy and little Naddie

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Oct 1 2005, 04:40 AM
Metropolitan Maltese Rescue is a great organization! Good for you!!!

I do suggest you read up a bit on 'special-needs" pooches.. as these organizations often get many of these dear pooches. This way you'll have a better "handle" on the applicant's qualifications to adopt.

I do know many are simply "older".. and just need a bit of TLC in their senior years.

Good luck! and hope you get to be one of those helping this babies find good homes!

Terry, Angel Missy and little Naddie
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105257
[/QUOTE]

Hi Terry, do you know where I could find information on special needs dogs on the internet? Thanks, Lori

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Hi Terry, do you know where I could find information on special needs dogs on the internet? Thanks, Lori
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105345
[/QUOTE]

Lori, here are some links that might be helpful in regard to placement of a senior or special needs dog. Having a bit of understanding of the dogs needs.. will help you to match the right applicant to the pet or rule them out whatever the case might be.

The three most common pets I've seen with special needs are.. blindness, deafness, and diabetes... in addition to simply a 'senior dog'.. who may have one or the other of these problems but some don't.

here's a good link to living with a "senior dog"..
http://www.seniordogrescue.org/thinkingofasrdog.htm

here's a good "basic' site with info on living with a blind dog..
http://www.weir.net/~lglass/living_with_blind_dog5.htm

Here's one on deaf dogs..
http://www.deafdogs.org/

Here's one on diabetes: I believe this to be the very best site on diabetes out there ( I happen to be a moderator there.. but I was helped tremendously when Missy was first dx with diabetes.) ...
http://www.petdiabetes.org

hope this is helpful to you! and GOOD LUCK!!!

Terry Angel Missy and Naddie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts