Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Has any one bought a juicer, if so would you mind telling me what type and how they like it, exp. easy of use and clean and if they get much juice from it.
I am wanting to get one but would like some opinions:thumbsup: of the subject.

Linda:mellow:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I went through a juicing phase at some point last year and got pretty obsessed with them. There are a lot of different types of juicers. The 2 kinds I have are a centrifugal and a single gear juicer. Centrifugal juicers use a high rate of speed to cut the veggies and fruit. They tend to create a lot of foam because of the Oxygen created when the fruit/veg is agitated that fast. Most are 7-15,000 RPM. I think they are great if you are in a hurry and don't have a lot of time in the morning or whenever to make juice. The other kind of juicers are gear juicers. They don't cut the fruit/veg, they basically smoosh it with the gear. They go very slow compared to the other kind. The RPM is so slow you can even see the gear rotating, where with a centrifugal, it goes so fast you can't see it. From what I've read, the gear juicers retain more nutrients since they don't go as fast.

As far as brands go, well I have a Breville centrifugal juicer, and a Greenstar single gear juicer. There are lots of brands out there. Look on Craigslist for a local person looking to get rid of their juicer. The Breville that I have was only $70 off Craigslist, but it would have been over $300 new. That's the thing with juicers, you can buy them in Wal-mart for $60-80, but they aren't that great quality. You can get a really nice Breville from Bed Bath & Beyond for around $160 or so. One of the things you want to look for is metal parts. Metal just holds up better, and tends not to stain as much. As far as clean-up... well...it doesn't matter which brand you get, they are a pain to clean with a million different parts. But its just like doing dishes, fill up the sink with soapy water and soak the parts. My best advice on clean up is to do it right away, so the goop and pulp doesn't dry and get sticky.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I had looked on the web and saw Jack LaLanna juicers and saw that they were even sold at some Walmarts. I found out a Shari lady at my church has a juicer so thought I would go over and visit with her and find out more about hers she said she got it at a garage sale the gal had bought it when she was PG and smells bothered her so she didn't use it put on time. So far Shari likes it.
Thanks again.
Linda

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
There's lots out there in the $100 range that are very good quality and more that sufficient for someone who is new to juicing. You can always upgrade down the line if you become hardcore :)

I have the Breville Mini which retails for around $100. The motor is powerful, the chute is large enough so that you hardly have to chop anything (can fit small, whole apples). Clean-up is pretty easy. It gets outstanding reviews.

I've also heard the Jack LaLane (sp?) is good for around $100.

Right now I'm into using my blender--a cheap one from Walmart for around $25. I like it over the juicer because I can throw other things in there besides just fruits and veggies and make some really healthy smoothies that cantain things like protein powder, greek yogurt, milk (I use Lactaid fat free or almond or soy), flax seed, etc. etc. Makes a complete, healthy breakfast for me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the information, a while back I bought my oldest daughter a blender at JC Penneys she wanted one that was powerfully enough to do ice cubes as they were going to make smoothies and add the ice.
Linda

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.