Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. Just wanted to address a perception/attitude that I'm noticing or coming across in threads that I'm reading regarding fixing tech related issues on the site.

I appreciate when you create a thread to point out something not working properly on SM. That's why I am here with our team to investigate and find a solution to the problem.

I'm concerned though that there is a growing perception that we can/should/have to fix every problem brought up to the exact way of your liking and if we don't, it means we don't care or we're not doing our job.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

We have a team of very capable technicians to address tech related issues on the site but like any team working in any capacity, our job is to investigate the issue and propose solutions for the issue that will best maximize our resources while at the same time, ensuring it is a viable solution for the user.

I understand that when the software changed to vBulletin, some of the things you were used to doing or seeing, changed and or no longer functioned at all. I would venture to say that 98% or more of the functions we all need to do what we love in this community was kept in tact.

That said, we would love to find out what things don't work the way you're use to seeing them work as and see if we can resolve it taking into account the resources we have on hand with the impact on the user if we fix it exactly the way it's been requested to be fixed or fix it in another way.

I'll give you a really good example.

We were asked about installing a chat tool back on the site. We have been actively investigating and working on this solution and in fact, we were close to releasing one for the community last week. However, there was the issue of the chat tool being available to paid members only in the past so this meant our team had to write custom code into the tool.

The easiest thing to do here was just release the chat tool and make it available to everyone. But we listened to the input from you guys and made the decision that we should invest resources into writing a custom hack for the tool and release it properly. That's where we're at right now.

On the flip side, there have been a couple of threads where users have asked how to do something or why isn't this working the way it use to work and I have gone in and replied with different ways of addressing what the user asked for and to my knowledge, what I have suggested works. I agree it might not be the method you're use to using but look at it this way -- you're trying to reach one destination but there may be multiple paths to it. Less expensive ones mind you. :)

All I ask is that you wonderful people continue to make us aware of things that aren't working the way it should be working and giving us the benefit of the doubt that we do have the best interest of this community in mind.

Thanks for reading and have a smurfy day.:chili:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think you are doing a great job! We are grateful for having this site available to us and thankful since it means a lot to us to have.:ThankYou:

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
All changes take some getting used to. I think most of the changeover has gone very well. Hopefully the few things that we all want will be fixed soon. I appreciate the time and effort involved in making this forum user friendly. For the most part, I think it is.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I wonder why the current chat tool could not have been put in place while this custom chat tool was being "hacked"?

Also, perhaps this is what you meant to say or perhaps not, but the chat was available to every member on Saturday nights. It was a privilege of paid members to use it any other time.

Just had to comment, the use of the term Smurfy Day. I take it you grew up in the Smurf era like myself. LOL, maybe you should have Papa Smurf as your avatar.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
As Reva said, all changes need to get used to. I too think the change over has gone well. The forum as it is right now is not that much different to navigate. In time, I hope you will make it more pleasant to look at. I appreciate the time and effort you put in this.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
We are all creatures of habit, reluctant to change, not all but many of us are pre, peri and post menopausal..............and keep that all in mind.

You have been more than willing to accommodate us. The change has been relatively painless although the resumption of the chat will be really appreciated !

I think Papa Smurf should buy an teflon suit. Thanks for the great job !

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Thank you for the update : )

We appreciate all your efforts to help this wonderful forum continue!

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Thank you Yung for all your help. I appreciate kindness. I thank you for timely responses to pm's or emails. I've yet to receive a response from Joe for any pm or email I ever sent him. I must be on his block list.
xoxoxoxoxoxo

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Thank you Yung for all your help. I appreciate kindness. I thank you for timely responses to pm's or emails. I've yet to receive a response from Joe for any pm or email I ever sent him. I must be on his block list.
xoxoxoxoxoxo
:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Dear Papa Smurf, I may have missed the ending to one of my questions so maybe you can help me out.

A while back when I was whinning about not wanting to delete all the pictures I had posted through the years.....and also didn't want to have to use Photobucket to post new ones, you said to hold off for now.

I still don't want to delete all my pictures but if that's the only way....*sniff* :bysmilie: *sniff*......I may be willing to let go of my past even though it'll hurt so much to do so. Is there an easy way to go about this without having to go through the extra pain of killing them one at a time? :crying 2:

·
Administrator
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
xoxoxoxoxoxo
Definitely not.... Joe's really busy and technically, he's handed the reigns of the operation over to us so it frees up his time to do other things. Joe would never block anyone. :) If it's something I can help you with, send me a PM.

·
Administrator
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dear Papa Smurf, I may have missed the ending to one of my questions so maybe you can help me out.

A while back when I was whinning about not wanting to delete all the pictures I had posted through the years.....and also didn't want to have to use Photobucket to post new ones, you said to hold off for now.

I still don't want to delete all my pictures but if that's the only way....*sniff* :bysmilie: *sniff*......I may be willing to let go of my past even though it'll hurt so much to do so. Is there an easy way to go about this without having to go through the extra pain of killing them one at a time? :crying 2:
I'm going to review this again on the weekend and hopefully get back to the community with a concrete solution.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Hi Yung -- I too think that things are improving a lot. Hard to teach us old dogs new tricks sometimes.
I did however PM you several weeks ago and no answer. I asked why when I hit the little arrow thing to the left of a thread it will sometimes take me back to last post I read (or posted) but many times it will take me much later in the thread than what I last read. The old feature on the former site always worked perfectly with this feature. Did you look into it?
Thanks,
Sue

1 - 20 of 21 Posts