Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is Don and I just bought a 9 week old Maltese. His name is Sir Winston. I am picking up this little package of joy on Thursday and want to be 100 percent prepared for everything. I am going to be setting up a vet visit the first week. He is not AKC but he has a Health Cert. and all the shot and vet records.

I have bought a large Crate, purina 1 puppy chow (what the breeder used, I will ween him to something better shortly), A harness and nylon leash, a stainless food and water bowl. And I am researching shampoos and conditioners now? When I bring him home is there anything you recommend on doing to first introduce him to his new place. Let him roam free, take him to the new rooms? Should I follow the breeders schedule for eating and bathing and sleeping?

·
Registered
125 Posts
a big mistake i made when i first brought cosmo home was not buying a crate....i had a travel crate but not quite the same (mainly because i couldnt find one in all the pet stores!!). without a crate you find potty training so much harder. there are lots of threads on this forum about potty training. one of the main pieces of advice i got was dont let the puppy have free rein until they are 100% potty trained. its easier that way. otherwise you will find 'presents' all over the house. you will need puppy pads so pup can pee in a place that you want them to pee...very important. :smpullhair: make sure you have a comfortable bottom for the crate so puppy has somewhere warm to sleep. maybe you need some puppy treats too to help with training. good luck. im sure alot of the more experienced maltese owners can give you better advice but hope this helps for a start!
ps.....isnt 9 weeks a little too young to bring home a pup....i believed it was 12 weeks?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Welcome to SM Don,

You certainly could not have picked a better place to get advice than this wonderful Forum. I too am fairly new here and love the adivce, friendlyness, support, etc. that everyone is so willing to give.

As far as to what food you should give your new little puppy, I probably would give him something that is of a better brand. Now, don't get me wrong, I am only suggesting this as I too have had puppies and have given them the Nutra brand of dog food. This has been our choice, but I am sure that there are also other brands for them to eat. I know that Science Diet, Ukanuba, and other puppy foods are very good brands of dog food.

I am sure that other SM forum members will be coming along to offer you some advice and suggestions as to what to do with your new puppy. In the meantime, enjoy him.

I personally would suggest that you crate train him which is probably the easiest way to train a puppy. However, consistency is very important on your behalf.She learned quickly and we had very few accidents with her. Again, this is only my opinon as it worked for our Snuggles when she was a puppy.

Good luck with him and do keep us informed as to how you are doing with him.

Snuggle's Mom

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
when we picked up heini,
I had a ticking alarm clock and a hot water bottle wrapped in a cosy blanket and put it with him in his box for the night.
that simulates the heartbeat and warmth of the mother.

I think it helped him feeling comfy the first few nights without the others.

all the best for you

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi Don,

Welcome to this wonderful forum. A new puppy is very exciting and I'm very happy for you.

9 weeks is a little young to come home already (for this small breed)... but what is done is done so let's prepare.

First, ask the breeder to give you some of the Purina puppy chow (so you can return your bag to the store ASAP). Purina puppy chow is NOT a nutritional food for your pup or ANY pup by ANY standards. Not only does it contain by-products, and corn, but a list of other head-shaking ingredients. There are many other good foods (search under the Food subsection) but you want to look for food that is all natural, NO by-products, no gluten, no corn. Most food sold in supermarkets is out of the question so stay away. If your breeder would give you some Purina Puppy Chow, you can mix it into the BETTER food and wean the puppy off Purina.

FIRST THING though, take your puppy to a vet (NOT THE BREEDER'S VET) for a wellness check-up and a bile acid profile blood test. This can save you from a lot of heart-ache in the future. Also, many breeders demand you do this within 24-48 hours for the health guarantee to be valid.

Don, I feel I would be doing you a disservice if I wasn't totally honest with you. I have a bad feeling about the breeder you purchased from may be a backyard breeder, a puppy miller, or a puppy broker. I don't think this person knows what they are doing with the Maltese breed or any small breed dogs at all. I don't have the whole picture but from what you have told us - 9weeks release, Puppy Chow as food, no AKC...

It's unfortunate because many members on this site join AFTER they have already gotten their puppy and then learn from Spoiled Maltese that they didn't choose a puppy with the most positive background. We still love each member because no matter, they are still learning to be responsible owners. It's unfortunate because those breeders don't learn and there is no incentive to improve (or better, drive them out of business) because there is no shortage of buyers.

Also unfortunate, because of the indiscriminating breeding problem, there is usually health problems. I implore you to take your pup to a reputable veterinarian ASAP and have a wellness check for Luxating Patella (may not show up yet), Bile Acid Profile, Heart worm, and heart murmurs. These are just a few of the problems often seen in dogs from a indiscriminating breeding problem. By indiscriminating I mean, a male + female dog (that looks like the same breed, OR NOT) bred together for profit.

God bless you on your journey. Thank you for joining Spoiled Maltese and allowing me to be frank.

Sincerely,
Mimi

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I think 9 weeks may be too early for the bile acid - they have to take a blood sample twice and the amount taken is the same for a puppy or an adult.

I also have a bad feeling about the breeder you chose but hopefully it will all work out for you.

Good luck with your puppy!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My suggestion on when the puppy first come home:

Introduce him to his own area and let him roam a room at a time. Keep the household calm and quiet so the puppy wouldn't be too nervous. Show him where the food & water is and keep that place constant. Also show him where you would like him to go potty. If you want to train the pup indoors, then it's important to take him to the pad every hour. I do mean every hour. If you cannot keep an eye on him, then please secure him in a crate or enclosed area. The crate cannot be TOO roomy because otherwise he may eliminate in his crate. It has to be big enough for him to stretch, lay down, and turn around, and stand. That's it, no bigger. After any nap or period in the crate, take him to the place you have designated for him to potty. Praise, Praise, and PRAISE to build his confidence. Don't spank (even lightly) or yell when the puppy have an accident.

Make sure all your electronic wires are well hidden or protected. Nothing is left on the floor that is small enough to choke or inappropriate for a puppy to have...

You may want to purchase NUTRICAL and keep an eye on his energy level. If he is not eating or seems lethargic, give him some to boost his glucose and contact the vet.

Check his gums to make sure they are healthy pink color -not pale (sign of anemic). Puppies also should have sweet breath and anything else can be signs to ill health.

Don't take your pup anywhere until he is done with all his shots. At the vet's office, don't let him come in contact with the floor, chairs, or the counter-until they have wiped down with their disinfecting spray. If your yard isn't enclosed then don't let the puppy out there. You don't know if a dog with parvo have visited your grounds and that can be very infectious.

That's all I can think of right now - but i'm sure others will have excellent suggestions as well.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think 9 weeks may be too early for the bile acid - they have to take a blood sample twice and the amount taken is the same for a puppy or an adult.

I also have a bad feeling about the breeder you chose but hopefully it will all work out for you.

Good luck with your puppy![/B]
Agreed, I totally pray that I'm just being over cautious and the puppy will be just the most healthiest puppy ever.

Maybe I'm not thinking of the right test...you know how JMM, Jamie and a few others have discussed having the breeder do a bile acid test before the puppy is picked up? I hate that my memory fails when I need it the most...UGH LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome, Don.

I'm sure you will give your little one a wonderful, loving home. And you have certainly come to the right place for kind people who love Maltese and have loads of good information to share.

My Maltese, Violet, just came to live with me a week ago. She's doing sooooo well. :biggrin: Everyone here has been great, and I've already learned so much. Although this is my first time with a Maltese, I have had other pet dogs for quite a few years.

About the food:
Here's what I did with Violet. Since Violet is almost 3, was a bit scared and was coming into a very different environment than she was used to I didn't want to upset her digestion on top of the other adjustments. She had been fed one of the Purina chows. I continued to keep her on the same food & feeding schedule she was used to for a few days. As I saw her become comfortable in her new home here, I gradually started mixing in a higher quality dog food. Each day, I gradually made the mixture more of the new food, less of the old food. She loves her new diet and is now switched over without any tummy troubles.

You'll do great with your new baby. :thumbsup:

Kim & Violet

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Agreed, I totally pray that I'm just being over cautious and the puppy will be just the most healthiest puppy ever.

Maybe I'm not thinking of the right test...you know how JMM, Jamie and a few others have discussed having the breeder do a bile acid test before the puppy is picked up? I hate that my memory fails when I need it the most...UGH LOL
[/B]
Just went back to read the JMM post about her beloved Mickey (RIP) and learned that the test can be given at 12 weeks. :biggrin: Now I feel better... I felt like I had given a half-a$$ suggestion on the testing but nothing specific. LOL

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
Welcome, Don. You've gotten some great advice from Paris+Aries' Mom, so I will just wish you well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Congrats on your soon to be new addition. I agree with the others he/she is coming home too early and extra precautions will need to be in place. You must watch this little baby around the clock for possible hypoglycemia- particularly if under two pounds in weight.

Food and water should be available at all times at this tender age. You will also have to wet the food down.

Your puppy may not have learned all the skills he should have from his mother- just something to keep in mind. The most common probably is not learning bite inhibition.

Its best to limit what rooms and such the puppy will have access to until you have them settled into a consistent potty routine. Crate or ex pen is excellent while potty training. Freedom is earned over time.

I agree all Purina is bad news- find a good quality food as soon as you can.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
The others are giving good advice so I will just say welcome to SM.

Nutri-Cal.....you will want to have Nutri-Cal on hand. It is absolutely a must for such a young pup.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
welcome. :)

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts

[/B]
Just went back to read the JMM post about her beloved Mickey (RIP) and learned that the test can be given at 12 weeks. :biggrin: Now I feel better... I felt like I had given a half-a$$ suggestion on the testing but nothing specific. LOL
[/B]
Oh you can get the test done in a younger pup (12 weeks), depending on the weight though, it may be a lot of blood to take for the tiny little ones. Plus they need to fast for at least 6 hours. My poor boys are still black and blue from their bile acid testing and they were a bit bigger and are healthy weights!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
QUOTE(Lucy Owns Me @ Feb 4 2008, 09:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=518984
<div class='quotemain'>I think 9 weeks may be too early for the bile acid - they have to take a blood sample twice and the amount taken is the same for a puppy or an adult.

[/B]
Just went back to read the JMM post about her beloved Mickey (RIP) and learned that the test can be given at 12 weeks. :biggrin: Now I feel better... I felt like I had given a half-a$ suggestion on the testing but nothing specific. LOL
[/B][/QUOTE]
Oh you can get the test done in a younger pup (12 weeks), depending on the weight though, it may be a lot of blood to take for the tiny little ones. Plus they need to fast for at least 6 hours. My poor boys are still black and blue from their bile acid testing and they were a bit bigger and are healthy weights!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh I see. Thanks for the follow up.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Welcome to SM, Don! :)

It is said that 12 wks is the minimal age to give up the pup, but my first malt was only about 8-10 wks old when I got him (15 years ago; he's been gone a year now). And even though he grew to be larger than "standard", at one point hitting 10 lbs, but usually between 8/1 to 9 lbs when full grown, he was tee-niny when I got him! Conversely, my malt now that I got from a great breeder at 12 wks of age was much larger when I got him at that age, but is now weighing about the same size as my previous malt. The first one, Casper, did suffer from separation anxiety to a HUGE degree, which some say is caused by early separation from the mom. My current baby, MIdis, does not have this problem. He goes willingly into his kennel and doesn't bark or cry when we leave him (he's over a year old now, but has never done this).

Whether or not this difference has to do with the age they were taken from their mom, I have no idea. Just thought I would mention it, and also that there were no other problems, health included, with my first one being taken at 8-10 wks.

I'm sure you and your new baby will fall in love at first bite! :)

*Hugs*
Cyndi

·
Registered
569 Posts
welcome don!...you will learn tons of valuable information.......sounds like you've gotten some great advice already...what's done is done though....everyone here wishes the best....it's just that everyone here knows the signs of irresponsible breeding which leads to millions of dogs in pounds/ pathetic petstores/ puppy mills......you're smart for trying to prepare yourself before your little one gets there.....and we hope you stick around and post often...this is a great community :grouphug: ....again, welcome :aktion033: :welcometosm: .....and like Nissa's mom said....we're all picture freaks here...so be prepared to share lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts