Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well tomorrow is the big day, we are going to bring Sir Winston to his new home. I am not nervous at all about our new family member. I thank everyone who commented on my post, it will be alot of help, and I am sure I will have alot more questions. The puppy will be 10 weeks old when I bring him home tomorrow. I agree I was a bit nervous about the breeder before I had gone there but she did seem to alot for someone with no internet access. And again I was a bit nervous that is was not akc, but i do not plan on breeding and since I seen the mother and father were healthy I looked past that. The puppy is up to date on all of his shots and does have the h/c. I am going to bring him to my own vet within the week. I have a question on getting him home. Can I just hold him in the car or should I bring the new crate? Again, thank you so much for all of your help and greetings. I will take tons of pictures updating everyone through all of Winston's journey.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
another question too, I am going to start housebreaking right away using the crate method. It has been such a long time since I have had a puppy I forgot how often through out the night I need to bring him out. I plan on taking him out every 1hr and a half and bringing him to his area but what about through out the night?...and reading some of the comments about waiting to bring him anywhere till he gets another checkup does this even pertain to bringing outside to one spot for housebreaking? Also still wondering about transporting home?

·
Premium Member
20,025 Posts
If you have someone with you - they could hold him. but if you're by yourself, I'd put him in a crate for his protection. You can put a little blanket and toy in there with him. If the breeder gives you a toy he has played with previously, the smell would comfort him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you have someone with you - they could hold him. but if you're by yourself, I'd put him in a crate for his protection. You can put a little blanket and toy in there with him. If the breeder gives you a toy he has played with previously, the smell would comfort him.[/B]

thank you very much, i do have someone going and the toy idea is wonderful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
a big mistake i made when i first brought cosmo home was not buying a crate....i had a travel crate but not quite the same (mainly because i couldnt find one in all the pet stores!!). without a crate you find potty training so much harder. there are lots of threads on this forum about potty training. one of the main pieces of advice i got was dont let the puppy have free rein until they are 100% potty trained. its easier that way. otherwise you will find 'presents' all over the house. you will need puppy pads so pup can pee in a place that you want them to pee...very important. :smpullhair: make sure you have a comfortable bottom for the crate so puppy has somewhere warm to sleep. maybe you need some puppy treats too to help with training. good luck. im sure alot of the more experienced maltese owners can give you better advice but hope this helps for a start!
ps.....isnt 9 weeks a little too young to bring home a pup....i believed it was 12 weeks?
This maybe a silly question but. I never crate trained my other dogs. It does sound like it will work better. But at night when you put him in the crate do you put water and food in there too? Plus is she just suppose to stay in there till you get up and take her to pee? can I take the crate and put next to my bed? Or not? Thanks 🙏

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I have been told there is no such thing as a silly question.....
No food or water in the crate. Just a soft fluffy blanket. Make sure Sir Winston goes potty before placing in the crate for the night - first thing in the morning take him outside. When Abella was a pup I would place her crate next to my bed at night so she knew I was there. She slept in her crate for the first year of her life. I think that was one of the hardest things for me. I wanted her in bed with me so bad but thought it was best to wait. Now she is the best sleeping buddy ever! The time and patience you put into training will pay off - you will have a pup that is a delight to have around!
🐶 🐾

21 - 28 of 28 Posts