Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Sunday afternoon my husband decided to have a bologna sandwich. He tossed the casing ring in the trash and it landed on the top and it was pretty full. Bardie is not a trash digger but I guess the smell of bologna was just too much for him. I was standing in the kitchen and saw him going for the trash. Behold, he had the casing ring in his mouth. I ran over grabbed him saying "drop it" "drop it" (a command he knows) and I tried to grab it and POOF he swallowed it!

Sunday, vet closed so I ran to internet hoping to find something. That was no help. So emergency vet. She said feed him a full meal of wet food and then a half cup of cottage cheese. Then to feed him his regular meal for the evening. Then to repeat the same thing in the morning. She said the extra food and the bulk of the cottage cheese should hopefully bind to the casing so he could pass it. Then to watch and as long as there was no lethargy or vomiting just wait for up to 30 hours! So from time he swallowed to feeding was about 30 minutes.

Monday morning I did repeat. He was his normal self and had good appetite. I'm pacing and talking to Bardie. You need to go poopoo? Over and over. I'm praying and pacing and cursing bologna. I don't like it anyway. How could I wait for 30 hours?!? Every bad scenario of what could go wrong is playing in my head.

Then 2 hours later...he went poo in the back of the yard. "Good puppy!! Good puppy!!" As I run to his little leavings. I didn't see anything! Ugh! So I got gloves and tore it apart. There is was! All inside his poo. The whole thing! Total turn around time was 12 hours. Life was good again!

As careful as we try to be sometimes things happen. My husband didn't think twice about it since Bardie never touches the trash. He felt horrible about it. He loves Bardie as much as I do.

I just wanted to share for just in case.

p.s. new trash can with lid :)

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Sneaky little dogs will find a way to add excitement to their lives, and ours. :devilish: I'm glad it turned out well.

My 17 year old dog recently stole his first paper towel from the kitchen trash, which does not have a lid but sits on top of a storage container.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sneaky little dogs will find a way to add excitement to their lives, and ours. :devilish: I'm glad it turned out well.

My 17 year old dog recently stole his first paper towel from the kitchen trash, which does not have a lid but sits on top of a storage container.
My goodness! 17 years old! That's awesome. :) I have a 15 year old cat. He still finds ways to get in trouble. Lol!
Bardie just turned 3. So he's still a youngster. Love him to the moon!

·
Registered
105 Posts
So Sunday afternoon my husband decided to have a bologna sandwich. He tossed the casing ring in the trash and it landed on the top and it was pretty full. Bardie is not a trash digger but I guess the smell of bologna was just too much for him. I was standing in the kitchen and saw him going for the trash. Behold, he had the casing ring in his mouth. I ran over grabbed him saying "drop it" "drop it" (a command he knows) and I tried to grab it and POOF he swallowed it!

Sunday, vet closed so I ran to internet hoping to find something. That was no help. So emergency vet. She said feed him a full meal of wet food and then a half cup of cottage cheese. Then to feed him his regular meal for the evening. Then to repeat the same thing in the morning. She said the extra food and the bulk of the cottage cheese should hopefully bind to the casing so he could pass it. Then to watch and as long as there was no lethargy or vomiting just wait for up to 30 hours! So from time he swallowed to feeding was about 30 minutes.

Monday morning I did repeat. He was his normal self and had good appetite. I'm pacing and talking to Bardie. You need to go poopoo? Over and over. I'm praying and pacing and cursing bologna. I don't like it anyway. How could I wait for 30 hours?!? Every bad scenario of what could go wrong is playing in my head.

Then 2 hours later...he went poo in the back of the yard. "Good puppy!! Good puppy!!" As I run to his little leavings. I didn't see anything! Ugh! So I got gloves and tore it apart. There is was! All inside his poo. The whole thing! Total turn around time was 12 hours. Life was good again!

As careful as we try to be sometimes things happen. My husband didn't think twice about it since Bardie never touches the trash. He felt horrible about it. He loves Bardie as much as I do.

I just wanted to share for just in case.

p.s. new trash can with lid :)
Wow, never thought about this. Glad Bardie is ok....... Thank you so much for sharing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So happy that your baby is okay. My little girl is just over 3 months and I never vacuumed so much in my entire life, they are so fast and curious that I constantly have to watch her. So in love with these little angels.

·
Premium Member
4,957 Posts
Thank God he passed it and so quickly. I guess we can’t count on what they never do or always do. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to copy the formular the Vet gave to you just in case. ❤

1 - 6 of 6 Posts