Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had lost our pitbull Boca and ever since my husband who has always had a pit does not want one due to the fact they will not be Boca, and in his words she ruined the breed for him because no dog could be as good as her. I was thinking we feel the same way about Ranger our lab. I would never own another lab because Ranger is so perfect and always has been I would have huge expectations that a new dog couldn't meet. Does anyone else feel the same that if they will not be able to own another animal of that breed because of their previous pet? I am just wondering if we are odd or not.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have definately heard of this, so I dont think there is odd about it
I was even told this by many people after I lost my last maltese. I obviously dont feel that way, since I have another
Some people even said they thought I was honoring my Holli by wanting another "just like her". And Phoebe is NOTHING like her
but I love her and the breed and will do it again I am sure.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I also have heard of people doing this, but I don't think I will ever own another breed from a Maltese. Teddy is my first and I am just so in love with him that I can't imagine picking another breed after having so much joy from him.

Course Teddy will live forever...or I will die young...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@May 19 2005, 03:40 PM
I also have heard of people doing this, but I don't think I will ever own another breed from a Maltese.  Teddy is my first and I am just so in love with him that I can't imagine picking another breed after having so much joy from him.

Course Teddy will live forever...or I will die young...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63554
[/QUOTE]
Same here. I'm totally hooked on Maltese.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I knew I wanted another Maltese, Oliver was just so wonderful. I knew another one could ever replace him, I just fell in love with the breed. But I know lots of people who don't want the same breed cause it would remind them of the one they had lost.
Quincymom

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I felt this way about my first Maltese, Rosebud. Even my vet said, "There will never be another dog with her vibrant personality". I was so bummed out thinking that my next Malt would be awful or something... well, I have two who are total opposites and just wonderful and I love them every bit as much as I loved Rosebud....

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I tell people that all the time, I absolutely LOVE my Massimo and I don't feel any other Maltese will compare to him. I had the option of getting another Maltese from the person I got Massimo from for a REALLY great deal and I just had to pass. There was no way I was going to make my baby jealous. And he is a very jealous doggie..... My husband says Massimo would die of a broken heart if I got another little doggie or if he's away from me for too long . Of course I think the ladder may be my fault, because every time I head out the door, Massimo comes with me. So, when he hears the keys jingle, he's at the door waiting for me....... Point is, if I got another Maltese I would always compare it to Massimo, and that little doggie wouldn't deserve that scrutiny. But.....you never know......maybe somewhere down the road I'd have a change of heart...?

-c

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I always thought that Bichons would be the only breed I'd own from now on, even though I didn't know if I'd ever have another as good as Jolie. Now, I feel differently. I love Maltese and I wouldn't feel worried about getting a good one because Sadie and Sassy are the same yet, different. They have different personalities but both are so sweet that I would not worry a minute about getting another maltese who would be equally as wonderful - but in a different way.

·
Registered
942 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I was thinking as I read your comment, that how coincidental it is that you have two perfect breeds of dogs...I think whatever you guys are doing to make them perfect is something you should bottle up and sell! :D It cannot be a coincidence that you have a perfect lab and a perfect pit...not just luck. You guys must have trained them and loved them well to be great dogs...

So what I am trying to say is, I think whatever dog you get, you will turn them into whatever you have made into the other dogs...perfection!

~Elegant

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Elegant@May 19 2005, 08:51 PM
This is an interesting thread.  I was thinking as I read your comment, that how coincidental it is that you have two perfect breeds of dogs...I think whatever you guys are doing to make them perfect is something you should bottle up and sell!  :D It cannot be a coincidence that you have a perfect lab and a perfect pit...not just luck.  You guys must have trained them and loved them well to be great dogs...

So what I am trying to say is, I think whatever dog you get, you will turn them into whatever you have made into the other dogs...perfection!

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63642
[/QUOTE]

I wish I could take credit for it but I can't. Ranger was a star from the day we brought him home. He was never a hyper lab at all. He completely defied the breed rep. My hubby has trained him as a field hunter and he has exceled. Now Boca was a doll as well. She protected all children wether they belonged to her or not. The standing joke is don't let your kids to my house you won't get them back. Boca would get between the adult and child everytime those kids were her's she would let them do anything to her. My son learned to walk by pulling himself up on her lips and taking steps as she slowly backed up to get away from him. But before Boca we only had pits and let me tell you they were nothing like her. Boca and Ranger are just special. Boca has been gone now for a few years and Ranger is just hanging on now @ 9. I loved all of our other dogs over the years but they just weren't the same as Boca or Ranger

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I don't think you're odd because I have heard of people feeling this way. I personally am also so in love with Maltese that I will always have one. I will hope to honor Chloe with every Maltese that I own because she introduced me to how wonderful this breed is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts