Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say hello to everyone. My name is Susan and I live in the UK. I'm owned by Amy an 8 year old Maltese. Amy has been with me since she was 5 years old--my friend rescued her from a man who showed Maltese but was just using Amy to breed from and treating her pretty badly. She is a lovely little lady and although still nervous at times, she has come on to be a happy little lass who loves meeting people,eating and walkies.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Glad you found us, welcome to both of you.
Amy is a very lucky little pup to have been rescued by such a loving and caring family!
Boy, what a cutie pie

Judi

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:D Welcome!
What a pretty girl she is!!!!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
welcome to SpoiledMaltese

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You and Amy have a special place in heaven reserved for you. It can be a formidable responsibility to take a 5 year old puppymill mother and I commend you for it. She is just beautiful and is blessed to have a stable and loving home to command.

What was she like when you first brought her home, behaviour and health wise?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pamela I'm not sure that you could say that she came from a puppy mill in the true sense of the word. My friend Sylvia used to show Maltese and went to see a breeder who also showed Maltese. She was interested in buying a puppy Freeway, and infact when she saw the puppy Freeway wanted to buy him but of course insisted on seeing the parents. Freeway's dad looked fine, but she found that Amy was kept alone in a room in a cage--there were no windows and she never went out. When she insisted that Amy was taken out of the cage Amy didn't walk but crawled along the floor on her belly and was clearly terrified of the man. The man explained that he used her to breed his show stock from.Sylvia bought her immediately also, even though she didn't want a brood bitch, she just wanted to get her away from the man.As I had recently lost my Yorkie( one day after his 6th birthday from cancer) she asked me if I could take care of Amy for a short while--I agreed and well Amy just stayed with me. :D
It took months to gain her confidence, to get her to walk not crawl, she was scared of her own shadow, would yelp and cry when stroked, she would rush out of her igloo house to grab food and then rush back in again with it. and bury it to eat later--she was soooooooo skinny.She was terrified of my father.Gradually she just got more and more confident. and more trusting.
She loves being loved and fussed, can't have enough walkies and adores meeting people. Holidays, a run on the beach and a car ride are her idea of heaven.Amy adores my father and spends the day with him while I'm at work. She is spayed now, and although still easily spooked by things has become the most loving and trusting little lady. I don't know what I'd do without her.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats awesome that everything worked out. i also HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you make a dogster page!! :D we need to see more pics of your little baby

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i love the pic with the grandad---looks like she's smiling!! :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts