Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandson was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at 18 months of age. He is 6 now and what a time it has been! While most parents look forward to getting a full night's sleep once their infant starts sleeping through the night, parents of Type 1 children NEVER sleep through the night until the child is on his own. They are up 2 to 3 times throughout the night to check blood sugar, give juice to a sleeping child if necessary, wait and check blood sugar again or give insulin.

I volunteer and work on the two fundraisers JDRF holds each year and for those of you who would like to contribute to this research (which is making such progress that we expect a CURE within Michael's schooling years.) can do so by clicking on my JDRF web page and using a credit card to contribute directly to Juvenile Diabetes Research. I know you all to be caring people who give to all kinds of causes so your funds may be low but even a $5 donation is greatly welcomed and gratefully appreciated.

Pamela's JDRF Webpage

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
your link isnt working ??

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, Joe! How sweet of you.
Thank you on behalf of all those sleepless parents and sick children.

This web page sends me a notification of each contribution and yours was in my inbox already! cool beans!

·
Registered
274 Posts
What a great cause!! I wish I had some money to donate right now! We are broke! My husband was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 24 years old.. We don't have to check his sugar at night or anything, but I can only imagine how hard it must be to control in a small child.. Good luck with your grandson and with your fundraiser!!!!
Jess

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, I was surprised to meet another young man at the JDRF kickoff meeting who had been diagnosed with Type 1 just a short while ago. He was there with his infant son and his wife and I assumed it was the child who had the diagnoses, but it was the father!

I learn more and more about this each year. Thanks for the encouragement.....you can also sign up for the walk in your city by going to JDRF and clicking on your state to get a list of cities. You then click on your city and it will bring up the date and place of your yearly walk. It would be a good thing for you and your husband to get involved in because you will meet so many people with experience and knowledge who can help you in so many ways.

Then, to raise funds, you can sign up online then email or simply talk with your friends, family, neigbors, co-workers and ask for a small donation. My parents always told me "pennies make dimes and dimes make dollars".

The walk is usually a fun gathering in itself. Core partners with JDRF set up tents and provide information, food, water, snacks, games, face-painting for the children, etc. I urge you and your husband to attend and I believe you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thank you so much for that link! I don't think we will be able to do the walk this year, but I'll start fundraising early next year and make plans to do the walk.
We were very suprised when he was told he had Type 1. He has always been healthy and very active, but I guess that doesn't matter. They think it was a strep virus that activated it... He is doing really well with it though. Is your grandson on the pump or is that even an option for such a young child? My husband has looked into getting it, but he doesn't want it.. I guess he doesn't mind giving himself 4 shots a day! :new_Eyecrazy: Thanks again!!
Jess

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My grandson has been on the pump for several years now and it has been a real blessing. It has significantly moderated his blood sugar levels.......his highs are not as high and his lows are not as low as formerly. It does not negate the finger pricks to check his blood sugar but it does eliminate the 3-4 times daily shots. Your husband should maybe re-think his position on the pump because it is an improvement over the shots, not just a replacment of the need to give himself a shot.

And there is a new device coming out that will both monitor blood sugar AND bolus the insulin. There is no tubing involved......it uses infrared signaling between the device and the sites of the insulin delivery container and the blood sugar monitor. It requires two "sites" on the body, though, and that is an issue with Michael because he has a small butt and runs out of "sites" quickly. The site has to be changed every 3 days and the previous site given time to heal.

That web site I gave you will keep you up to date on this disease and research advances on it. My daughter's family all go to yearly conferences held for Type 1 diabetes. They are 3-4 days long and are a wealth of information, activities and social support from vendors, doctors, nurses and other families. The siblings are included because their lives are greatly affected by this, too. They have made some very close and good friends through these conferences and having those friendships is very supportive for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts