Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi SM,

I don't get the chance to be on very often lately - except for once a day and for a short period. But, once I am on, I make sure to check on what I missed with these cutie pies of yours:wub: and just hope that all is well with you all:grouphug:

I am still drawing like crazy. SM related drawings, I share them here.

Here is the thing, when I started drawing, I never thought that I will be able to do it in paint. I just had a little of free time in my hand, was randomly playing around with my paint software when I decided to draw one of my most fave picture of Snowy:wub:

I was shocked to look at my final drawing of Snowytoon because I never thought that I was ever gonna end up drawing in paint or even was capable of doing so.. I seriously have no education knowledge in the Art field (when I shared a thread that contained my pencil drawings, it was Theresa who told me that my drawings are called cartoons :blush: Yes to that extend of me not knowing much about the world of drawing except of drawing randomly and whatever I feel like drawing). I always loved math and playing around with numbers. People say that numbers and art don't match...:blink: but I really don't know how come I enjoy drawing too. I kept on noticing that I hold a pencil and draw when I am in a certain mood. The day I drew snowy was the day I was hooked with Paint...

The reason for mentioning all of my blabs above is: I am nervous to sell my first KatToon. People have been telling me to sell them or do something with them because they thought that the KatToons were wow.. honestly, I see them "cute and ok" but not the wow thought.

I received a PM today from a member here, wanting me to draw a big KatToon of her two babies, print it out and then sign on it for her, then ship it to her. She wanna buy one of my drawings with my signature on. Gotta say that I am kindda nervous because of the above facts. I just hope that my drawing will meet her expectations.

Here is where I need your opinions on:

How much to charge on the drawing????? I don't want it to be costly at all, yet don't know the reasonable price:unsure:

NelsonToon is asking: "How much do you think a KatToon is worth?"

Hoping to read some opinions and thoughts.

hugs
Kat

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
Kat, your KatToons are an amazing example of original art.

if anyone commissions you for any sort of art, you deserve to be very nicely compensated.

hope this helps:chili:

Florence & Pearlan

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree with Florence for sure! I love your drawings, they're so adorable. Maybe $30-40 per at first and then more as you get more demand? I'm not a business woman at all so I'm not quite sure. Check prices on esty for similar things and perhaps you'll get an idea.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Kat, you need a lawyer's opinion.....you should talk with Erin....Hunter's mom....she'll steer you in the right direction.....ok, now where's my dog's Katoons??????? :w00t:

LOL, only kidding......:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Kat -- It's funny that you've shared all of this. I was going to pm you and ask for you to draw a Katoon of my girls. One that I could hang in my office and an eletronic copy for my website. And I was going to ask how much you would charge. I believe that you are extremely talented and love your drawings and would certainly pay for one (or more).

I'm also a numbers person -- have a degree in accounting and a CPA with a Masters in Business and ended up having a career in investment banking and the stock market.

BUT -- as I got older, I wanted to begin using my "creative" side too. I do paint some, love to scrapbook and of course I love to sew and design clothes for the fluffs. I'm also writing a book (the theme is about a fluff -- of course). And no, I don't have any formal training in any of these things except a class here and there way back when I was in high school (or maybe junion high).

As far as pricing, I think it depends on the size and the amount of detail. For example, a Katoon with one fluff should be less that a Katoon with more than one fluff in it and it also depends on the amount of detail. How long does it usually take you to draw one?

My suggestion (from a business perspective) is that a small 8x10 with not a lot of detail should be $25-30 plus shipping. An 8 x 10 that has 2 fluffs with more detail should be $30-50. And one that has 3 fluffs or more should be $50-100.

And I think that you could have a nice business from this.

What do the rest of you think? I think that Kat's Katoons are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Art isn't a science even though it's degreed that way. It comes from the heart and soul,wether you want it to or not...it pours out. I create things as if vexed to do so. I can't sleep or concentrate until I start on that pesky idea or concept. Art is more analytical that people think,but it's on a subconscious level so even those who are numbers oriented are artistic,especially when they don't deny it or fight it. It's beyond reason,maybe that's why artists are crazy or sometimes go crazy...
I'm always amazed at all the talents we have on this forum,in all it's foms and manisfestations,from art to raw knowledge.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
How long does it take you to make one? What expenses are involved in the printing and shipping? Calculate you time and expenses, and that should determine your pricing. Remember an artist should charge more per hour than a manual laborer. BTW, put me on your list of clients. We'll keep you busy for a long time.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for the input and thanks for the helpful PMs too ... really appreciate your thoughts, especially regarding the pricing. luv ya all (hugs)

if anyone commissions you for any sort of art, you deserve to be very nicely compensated.
Maybe $30-40 per at first and then more as you get more demand? Check prices on esty for similar things and perhaps you'll get an idea.
As far as pricing, I think it depends on the size and the amount of detail. For example, a Katoon with one fluff should be less that a Katoon with more than one fluff in it and it also depends on the amount of detail. How long does it usually take you to draw one?

My suggestion (from a business perspective) is that a small 8x10 with not a lot of detail should be $25-30 plus shipping. An 8 x 10 that has 2 fluffs with more detail should be $30-50. And one that has 3 fluffs or more should be $50-100.
How long does it take you to make one? What expenses are involved in the printing and shipping? Calculate you time and expenses, and that should determine your pricing.
Thanks for these ladies ^_^

majik921 - I thought about benchmarking (to see how much similar drawings are being sold), but then thought that it might be unfair that I compare my drawings to others who might have more experience in drawing and art than I do.

Regarding how long does it take me to draw, it really depends, some take more than others. I like the idea of charging based on time spent on and how big it is ;) I think that this is the approach that I will use.

I have no question regarding printing and shipping expenses because that exact amount of expense will be added to the total price of the drawing. The only thing that I need to come up with a decision: is the value of the little drawing itself (the rest will be added to it based on how much they exactly cost: printing and shipping)

I don't really want for these KatToons to be expensive which makes me wonder if there is a website that is based in the U.S. where I can send them the big original drawing with my signature on 'by e-mail' for them to print and ship to the ones who live in the U.S. .. Is there such a service? (Printing and shipping) ? or am I coming up with a new service lol .. I wish that there was because this will reduce the shipping cost for the ones who live in the States WAY SO MUCH. The requests to draw that I am getting so far are from people living in the U.S. awwh sure would love to draw a KatToon of their fluff-babies:wub:...International shipping (from where I live, for example, to any State in the U.S.)cost triple the price than when shipping within the States.. I know that as a fact. I wonder if anyone know of such a service (printing any picture, drawing, you send them to then shipping it). This way, the person will pay so little for shipping.

Kat, you need a lawyer's opinion.....you should talk with Erin....Hunter's mom....she'll steer you in the right direction.....ok, now where's my dog's Katoons??????? :w00t:

LOL, only kidding......:thumbsup:
oh I will for sure contact Erin and Alice... thanks for the reminder.

Hey Pat, Archie boy is one of the malt who I planned to draw soon .. I didn't tell you that before, but there are two pictures of him (with a very happy looking face) that are my all-time-favorite pictures of Arch:wub:

Kat -- It's funny that you've shared all of this. I was going to pm you and ask for you to draw a Katoon of my girls. One that I could hang in my office and an eletronic copy for my website. And I was going to ask how much you would charge. I believe that you are extremely talented and love your drawings and would certainly pay for one (or more).

I'm also a numbers person -- have a degree in accounting and a CPA with a Masters in Business and ended up having a career in investment banking and the stock market.

BUT -- as I got older, I wanted to begin using my "creative" side too. I do paint some, love to scrapbook and of course I love to sew and design clothes for the fluffs. I'm also writing a book (the theme is about a fluff -- of course). And no, I don't have any formal training in any of these things except a class here and there way back when I was in high school (or maybe junion high).
put me on your list of clients. We'll keep you busy for a long time.

awwh Lynne, I think that I will go into a similar path as yours ^_^

oh and I will be more than happy to start KatTooning 4 new beautiful fluffs (Lynne and Reva's darling babies):chili::chili:

Art isn't a science even though it's degreed that way. It comes from the heart and soul,wether you want it to or not...it pours out. I create things as if vexed to do so. I can't sleep or concentrate until I start on that pesky idea or concept. Art is more analytical that people think,but it's on a subconscious level so even those who are numbers oriented are artistic,especially when they don't deny it or fight it. It's beyond reason,maybe that's why artists are crazy or sometimes go crazy...
I'm always amazed at all the talents we have on this forum,in all it's foms and manisfestations,from art to raw knowledge.
thanks for your informative input :)

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Thanks guys for the input and thanks for the helpful PMs too ... really appreciate your thoughts, especially regarding the pricing. luv ya all (hugs)

Hey Pat, Archie boy is one of the malt who I planned to draw soon .. I didn't tell you that before, but there are two pictures of him (with a very happy looking face) that are my all-time-favorite pictures of Arch:wub:

:)

:chili::chili::chili::chili:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Now you KNOW you've hit the big time!!!! I used to sell original acrylic and pastel paintings of dogs on Ebay. Different venue since it was auction style would price lower and then the buyers would determine the end price by bidding it up. Haven't done that in awhile (Ebay changed it's format and it wasn't worth my while). Acrylics take a long time to do, so don't know what to recommend re: pricing. But top of my head says that you should google and look to see other computer generated prints and get a ballpark idea. I would also sell mine without copyright (meaning they only got the original but I retained control over the prints and any other use of the image). I would often sell the original (obviously for a lot more money) and then sell small prints later on (either printed on canvas or on a tote bag or tile or mug or whatnot - CafePress was a good place to get this done).

As far as avoiding shipping costs by sending your file somewhere else to print, I would think about that if you want to retain control of the image for possible future use later on (maybe you could sell calendars or stuff without the names of the original models on them? [Check with the owner of the image first to make sure it was OK with them])... hard to retain control of an image if you send the file somewhere (what if it's shared in computer format by email, etc... it can get disseminated far and wide). NOTE: I don't think anyone on this forum would use your images without your permission, but thought since you are going professional I would mention it. We used to get sellers from overseas (mainly China) who would copy or images of paintings we posted for sale and then sell prints (sometimes even with our original signatures still visible :p) Anyway, just a couple of quick thoughts... very proud of you, my dear!!!! Feel from to PM me if any more specific questions... :)

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Kat -- as far as the shipping and printing -- I would contact Lucy (LUCY N PETS) as she owns a printing facility in Florida. I'm not certain what the cost would be, but she would be able to steer you in the right direction and give you an idea. Her business might be able to handle for you -- who knows.

Anyway, I would start there as she works in this type of industry.

And I do think that you are amazing. Very talented.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Kat -- some great advice here. Just because you don't have formal training, don't sell yourself short. You've got it!! and being an artistically challenged person (except when it comes to producing videos) I think it's amazing when someone creates fabulous artwork. And value is in the eye of the beholder as well. Take the advice, look what else is out there and pricing, tho there were some good ideas here, and go for it. I know you said you were planning on a Tyler Katoon. I'd be happy to pay:)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
You are very creative Kat, from your videos to your drawings and if someone commissions you to do a Kattoon for them then it is worth every penny. I, too, majored in accounting in college, but majored in architecture in highschool so I completely understand what you're going through and hope that someone can provide you with reasonable pricing (from a legal perspective). I hope this doesn't mean that we won't see any more kattoons on SM - I sure do love guessing:)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Kat -- as far as the shipping and printing -- I would contact Lucy (LUCY N PETS) as she owns a printing facility in Florida. I'm not certain what the cost would be, but she would be able to steer you in the right direction and give you an idea. Her business might be able to handle for you -- who knows.

Thanks Lynn for spreading the news of my shop here in Florida.
Kat, I was going to notify you as well and tell you I could print the pictures on paper, canvas, tshirts or whatever in my shop and all you have to do is email me the pictures in different format forms if you are interested please pm me and we can discuss the possibilities for you. I also offer shipping and handling directly from the shop so that is not a problem as well.
I too think your drawings are so cute and well done and could be a new start to a new career, who knows you could start the new cartoon character on tv in the near future.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
I get so excited for Kat, she deserves the best things in life to come her way. She has a heart that is pure and loves to give, Kat I am so proud of you.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
This is so exciting, Kat. I'm so happy for you and your new venture. Congratulations, I know you will be very successful! Will you expand and draw other breeds, too? Or, will your drawings be Maltese only?

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your input guys :grouphug: It keeps on adding to new ideas of how I wanna go forward with this ... you guys are truly awesome :aktion033::smilie_daumenpos: awwh and thanks so much for your encouraging words (hugs) I just wish that I can give each of you real hugs.

Thank you SO MUCH Lynne for suggesting Lucy.. Not only you made me aware of an available service to what I am looking for, but also suggesting someone from HERE :w00t: I didn't know that and LOVE this fact :chili: Having someone from SM to deal with on this is AWESOME!!!!

Now you KNOW you've hit the big time!!!! I used to sell original acrylic and pastel paintings of dogs on Ebay. Different venue since it was auction style would price lower and then the buyers would determine the end price by bidding it up. Haven't done that in awhile (Ebay changed it's format and it wasn't worth my while). Acrylics take a long time to do, so don't know what to recommend re: pricing. But top of my head says that you should google and look to see other computer generated prints and get a ballpark idea. I would also sell mine without copyright (meaning they only got the original but I retained control over the prints and any other use of the image). I would often sell the original (obviously for a lot more money) and then sell small prints later on (either printed on canvas or on a tote bag or tile or mug or whatnot - CafePress was a good place to get this done). As far as avoiding shipping costs by sending your file somewhere else to print, I would think about that if you want to retain control of the image for possible future use later on (maybe you could sell calendars or stuff without the names of the original models on them? [Check with the owner of the image first to make sure it was OK with them])... hard to retain control of an image if you send the file somewhere (what if it's shared in computer format by email, etc... it can get disseminated far and wide). NOTE: I don't think anyone on this forum would use your images without your permission, but thought since you are going professional I would mention it. We used to get sellers from overseas (mainly China) who would copy or images of paintings we posted for sale and then sell prints (sometimes even with our original signatures still visible :p) Anyway, just a couple of quick thoughts... very proud of you, my dear!!!! Feel from to PM me if any more specific questions... :)
Hey Eileen, after reading about determining the base price and then let others bid like you did, made me come up with this idea. It is quite different than bidding:

I will set a fixed price on my drawing ($10). If the requester liked the KatToon of his/her fluff, then he/she can increase if he/she thought that it deserved more than that. I really don't mind if he/she didn't. I find $10 reasonable for my drawings.

Despite the sweet words and requests that I get to draw, I still think that I need the practice. I still can't draw everything, and still see my drawings 'ok' really happy that some like it. However, *I* will feel better if these drawings were priced lower than what was suggested because *I* feel that the 10 is fair as a start for my drawings. Once I get more experience in this, my drawings improve a lot, then I will consider increasing the price ;) After all, I am having a BLAST drawing KatToons:chili:

When I share in threads in SM, I add the copyright sign, but when I send the drawing to the mommies as a gift, I remove the signs. It is for them to have. I don't plan on selling the previous KatToons. That is why I have the name of the models next to them here ;) But very good and HELPFUL to me points regarding the 'copyright' issues you are giving in case I wanted to do something else with the KatToons. I don't wanna take any wrong direction in a legal perspective :w00t: yikes, I just can't even imagine. For now, what I am thinking of doing professionally is: "KatTooning Your Fluffs". In other words, drawing from scratch whoever requests me to draw his/her fluff. I am planning to deal with Lucy for printing and shipping. I must admit that I am not worrying about the issue of distributing the drawings to others after I email it for printing - that is why I mentioned to Lynne that it was awesome that the person who provides the service is from SM :wub: I am not worried when the drawings will be with Lucy.

On another note, I wrote to Alice and Erin asking them more about copyright issues in a legal perspective. There is still a lot I need to learn. So I am not in a rush for any further plans; except for "KatTooning your own fluffs" idea for now - just selling these to the owners of the fluffs I KatToon :thumbsup:

Kat -- some great advice here. Just because you don't have formal training, don't sell yourself short. You've got it!! and being an artistically challenged person (except when it comes to producing videos) I think it's amazing when someone creates fabulous artwork. And value is in the eye of the beholder as well. Take the advice, look what else is out there and pricing, tho there were some good ideas here, and go for it. I know you said you were planning on a Tyler Katoon. I'd be happy to pay:)
Thank you sweet Sue :grouphug:... TylerToon is 80% complete. I just need to start coloring the background. I said that I will draw him before coming up with this idea, so KatToon is a gift :D

You are very creative Kat, from your videos to your drawings and if someone commissions you to do a Kattoon for them then it is worth every penny. I, too, majored in accounting in college, but majored in architecture in highschool so I completely understand what you're going through and hope that someone can provide you with reasonable pricing (from a legal perspective). I hope this doesn't mean that we won't see any more kattoons on SM - I sure do love guessing:)
awwwh and thanks to you too :grouphug:.. you bet ;) there will still be more KatToons to guess

Kat, I was going to notify you as well and tell you I could print the pictures on paper, canvas, tshirts or whatever in my shop and all you have to do is email me the pictures in different format forms if you are interested please pm me and we can discuss the possibilities for you. I also offer shipping and handling directly from the shop so that is not a problem as well.
I too think your drawings are so cute and well done and could be a new start to a new career, who knows you could start the new cartoon character on tv in the near future.
For sure will contact you, Lucy:grouphug: once I complete my first KatToon to sell :chili::grouphug:

I get so excited for Kat, she deserves the best things in life to come her way. She has a heart that is pure and loves to give, Kat I am so proud of you.
Paula :hugging: luv ya... always there for me: when I need the prayers AND in an exciting and fun small plan.

This is so exciting, Kat. I'm so happy for you and your new venture. Congratulations, I know you will be very successful! Will you expand and draw other breeds, too? Or, will your drawings be Maltese only?
Thanks Suzi :grouphug: I drew my first other than a maltese KatToon (a soft coated Wheaton Terrier - a very adorable one with cute personality from what I read about:wub:) I am waiting for his mommy to approve if I can share the real picture that I looked at when I drew here before I share the KatToon itself :)

hugs
Kat

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
You Go Girl. I hear a lot of CaChing, CaChing. You have an amazing talent and doing something you love to do and be able to make a living out of it is just about the best thing that anyone could wish for.

You can put me on your list of customers:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
kat i think u have an amazing talent , and im pretty sure that you will get alot out of this venture both personally and monetary. i think all of the katoons u have drawn already are awesome and i think when u have a talent like yours you must share. i also want to be a customer i would love a katoon of dolce. good luck on all you are doing , and im soo glad the others from sm are here to help you and advice you !! wtg!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts