• Havanese

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Shih tzu

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Yorkie

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Chihuahua (long haired)

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • "Oh shut up, Kat!". A malt should be your 3rd fluff! Period.

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, the idea of adding a 3rd pup with Snowy & Crystal isn't gonna happen very soon...not until I be in the place where I hope I will be. What I am trying to do at the moment is learn about few different breeds.

Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOVE the maltese breed :wub: one of my favorite in the small breeds. But, being a dog lover to all different breeds, i would also LOVE to be owned by other breeds in my life time. As long as i am in this world, besides the humans around me, a 4 legged furry friend makes my world even brighter :wub:

As for the 3rd fluff that I would love to be owned by, I narrowed the breed list into few ---> wasn't so easy :smpullhair: .. considering everything else at the point of time when I will be ready to add my 3rd fluff to my 2, I will be better with a small breed.

I am currently learning a little from the 5 different breeds that I have. I wonder if you have/had experience with some of them; what would your input be? I am certain that each dog is unique in its own personality. In other words, if this dog was a yapper/independent/active/calm...etc , it doesn't mean that every single dog from the same breed is 100% the same.

I find this time is great at making my mind into ONE breed out of the 5 I have in my list so that I can spend the time I have to learn about it and only it rather than all five; learn about its care/the different reputable breeders/get in contact with some of them and other owners who are experienced with the breed (I already started with that a little :blush:).

For my third fluff, I would love it to be a very active type of pooch who can get into activites and stuff like that. I am an active type of person, so I find that personality the best fit for me. Again, I know that I can't generalize and base these characteristics on all dogs of the same breed. Hey, Snowy falls into the athletic category, being so active, high driven, intense, alert, prefers to be out there doing something instead of being on my lap..etc I wonder if I can find a maltese who is similar to that - not sure if there are many who are like him. But again, what do I know about every single maltese in this planet. That is why I also have the maltese in my list. Yup, to ask reputable maltese breeders for that type of personality. I'll just have to see which dog of which 2 breeds (maltese vs. the breed that I will decide on from the 5 other-than-a-maltese breed) will be available at that time

In my list, there is:
1. Papillon
2. Havanese
3. Shih tzu
4. Yorkshire terriers (I had an experience fostering one - loved his personality)
5. Chihuahua (long haired :p)

oh my, i don't why is it hard to settle my mind into only one breed out of the above to focus on learning about only it!!!!

I thought of starting a poll (I hope it will work) to see what are your thoughts of which breed to add out of my list if I decided to go for "other-than-a-maltese" as my third fluff.

Please tick on one that you think will best fit being with my two maltese better, in your opinion.

If you have/had an experience with one, I also would LOVE to read it. I hope you don't mind sharing :)

oh and last but not least, for people with 3 or more fluffs, can you share the pros and cons for having 3 (or more).

Personally, Three is the limit that I put for myself - i wont be able to handle and care for more than 3 .. But everyone is different; I ADMIRE the ones who can :aktion033:

Thanks!

Kat

ps. I couldn't help it but add the last option in the poll :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I LOVE papillons!
3 of Milo's best friends are papillons and they are great :D

Shih Tzu's are fab too!

I don't have any experience with yorkies or havanese.

Not a big fan of chi's - think its their size.

My vote goes to papillon :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I don't know much about Havanese or Paps, but I have had Tzus, Yorks and Malts. Yorks have the most energy of those and love to play, so my opinion is Yorkie! I love them!

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I LOVE papillons!
3 of Milo's best friends are papillons and they are great :D

Shih Tzu's are fab too!

I don't have any experience with yorkies or havanese.

Not a big fan of chi's - think its their size.

My vote goes to papillon :)
Thanks for your input Orla ^_^

I have the Pap in the top list :D I haven't met one in person, but met few through the internet, got to know about their personalities (in videos, pictures and stories) and learned about the *general* breed standard. I guess that the chances to find the highly active pups in this breed is higher - that is why I have it in my top list of "other-than-a-maltese" breed. How are the personalities of the ones you know?

Shih tzus ...awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwh LOVE there faces:wub:

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know much about Havanese or Paps, but I have had Tzus, Yorks and Malts. Yorks have the most energy of those and love to play, so my opinion is Yorkie! I love them!
Thanks, Brit ... Picasso, the yorkie I fostered was similar to what you described. I wish I can experience meeting a pap so that I can see how it is like (other than in pictures and videos that I see)

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Thanks for your input Orla ^_^

I have the Pap in the top list :D I haven't met one in person, but met few through the internet, got to know about their personalities (in videos, pictures and stories) and learned about the *general* breed standard. I guess that the chances to find the highly active pups in this breed is higher - that is why I have it in my top list of "other-than-a-maltese" breed. How are the personalities of the ones you know?

Shih tzus ...awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwh LOVE there faces:wub:
the 3 I know are so sweet!

Theres a 3 year old male - he is so cute. He LOVES toys and is very active.

An 18 month old female who is Milo's best doggie friend - they grew up together - she was the first dog he played with that wasn't a pup in his litter or another maltese at his breeders house. They are mad around each other though - when they see each other they will do everything to get to each other!
Heres a vid of them when they were puppies:

the 3rd is a 12 month old female - full sister to the male. just a different litter.
She is very nice! she is so calm and will sleep anywhere - but she does have a lot of energy. Milo loves her too!

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
Kat I am a grandma to a yorkie, Divit is a wildman:w00t: gosh he never stays still:chili::w00t: he enjoys life to the fullest:wub:, I could see Snowy and Crystal playing with a yorkie

I am also a grandma to a Shih Tzu, Star loves to play but is more mellow then Divit, she has a wonderful personality and easy going:wub:

I think you need a Matilda:HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Okay, so my first choice is that you get another Maltese, of course if you can find a reputable breeder that has a temperament to suit your needs. Maybe look for a more agility-suited Maltese?

BUT...I voted for Shih Tzu. They are a bit more "sturdy" than the Maltese, and because of that they are great for a more active household like yours. They have a great personality (my husband and I know a woman with 5 Tzus and they are awesome!).

I say don't get a Yorkie because they are soooo likely to have a liver shunt...36 times more likely than any other breed COMBINED. I wanted a Yorkie before we got Preston, but I was scared off by that statistic because my 1st Maltese died from a liver shunt before age 2.

Papillons are good dogs, I honestly think their breed does tend to be a bit more vocal than others but not anything that can't be trained. Their legs are so spindly and dainty I'm not sure they would be a great "active" dog. lol

And, finally, Havanese are probably great dogs also...maybe similar to a Maltese just larger?? I do not know much about them so I can't comment on them. :)

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Kat, I chose a Long Coat Chihuahua. My friend has two of them now and a malt and two yorkies. The long coat chi's come in so many different colorings and sizes!! I love the variety they come in, although I'm not sure I'm ready for their energy level.....:w00t: The long coats make them so much cuter than the short coats in my personal opinion. :blush: They are so funny and so cute!!!

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I am also thinking of another dog. Malt, yorkie or tzu (but only if small and cute and chocolate, like little Josie) I think these breeds can be very similar in temperament. Talking with breeders would be very important to get a really outgoing, energetic little one. There is a local breeder of yorkies here, her pups are quite mellow, live in the doggy shop and are really sociable, but I have seen other much more hyperactive yorkies too. LOL you need a Lola too. She is really active. I have never walked her long enough for her to trail behind or be tired. It is fun looking and dreaming though isn't it?

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
I picked the third baby to be a Maltese. The best pro of all Kat, is, there's more to love!! To me, there's not a big difference from 2 to 3. Good luck with all your research.
xoxoxoxoxooo

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Kat, Would you ever consider a small poodle ? I have a busy little malt like Snowy but also have 2 little poodles. They weigh 7 lbs each, are very smart, very energetic but definitely not hyper. They love to play and run, love being outdoors, love riding in the car and are easy to train. They are cut in puppy cuts with a little ruff around the nose. They have the little baby doll face and are very cute. They are considered tiny toys. They are both males and Maisie is a female. One in particular is very best friends with Maisie :chili:. Anyway it is just a thought.:blush:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Kat, Would you ever consider a small poodle ? I have a busy little malt like Snowy but also have 2 little poodles. They weigh 7 lbs each, are very smart, very energetic but definitely not hyper. They love to play and run, love being outdoors, love riding in the car and are easy to train. They are cut in puppy cuts with a little ruff around the nose. They have the little baby doll face and are very cute. They are considered tiny toys. They are both males and Maisie is a female. One in particular is very best friends with Maisie :chili:. Anyway it is just a thought.:blush:
I agree with the poodle too. Don't know if you have considered it. I grew up with one. Highly intelligent and very active little dog. Fantastic for your training Kat.

Ooops sorry i had forgotten about melon :blush:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I would recommend a Havanese. I met one once, a few months ago. He was the sweetest dog. :wub: He had the most peaceful temperament. They are larger than Maltese, but not much. I know you've already had a poodle, your sweet Melon. I also like Tzus. They're pretty nice too. For me, Yorkies and Chis have too much energy.

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts

Kat had a precious poodle named Melon,:smootch::heart: she will certainly share with you about the love they shared, you can see a picture of Melon in Kats album

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Maybe a cocker? Our Amber loves to swim.... ok,so I'm a little partial since I have a cocker and 4 Malts..My cousin has a shitzu and my neighbours did too,such sweeties... Most chi's I've seen are too nippy and scared but I did find one in a shelter that was an absolute lovebug and really friendly... Paps,never met one,though they were on my list but I chose a Malt.
Yorkies,it's so varied, some are snippy and scared and some are total love bugs,and really outgoing ,I'm sure it depends on the socialization.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I voted for the Havanese because I think they are soooo cute :wub: I've met some at the dog park and they just remind me of teddy bears. I think their faces resemble the Maltese faces a lot, but with more color! haha but of course, another Maltese would be so cute too.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I have been around a lot of Yorkies, Shih-tzus & Chihuahuas, but I've never met a Papillon. I have met one Havanese & was very impressed. Maltese will always be my first choice, but I'd love to have a Havanese. Yorkies are a bit too energetic for me, & they're just as delicate as a Maltese. The little Havanese I met has a personality more like Snowy & Boo. He was a real charactor, 10 lbs of lovable personality plus.Yet not bouncing off the walls or prone to nervous energy.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Well, I think another Maltese or a Shih Tzu.

Regarding Shih Tzu:
They can be stubborn and difficult to potty train. They are generally a healthy breed, but, can have digestive/allergy issues. Shih Tzu are little vacuums. They will eat any and everything off the floor or ground. I chose a Shih Tzu due to their sweet and happy-go-lucky temperament. I also like their smooshy (flat) faces. Many Tzu are very active, but, not hyper and get along well with other breeds. Honestly, I have never met a mean or aggressive Shih Tzu. Josey is not a barker. Josey LOVES to have her photo taken, so, that would work out well for you, Snowy, and Crystal. She also doesn't have any fears of loud noises or noisy/chaotic environments. Josey is the perfect match to my Maltese, Cody and Bichon/Maltese mix, Mandy. :)

We had some friends over for a barbeque yesterday. So, I wanted to take a few pics of them. Josey is such a ham when the camera comes out. She says, "pweeze, mommy, I want to say hi to kat!"

1 - 20 of 43 Posts