Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather is getting nice in some parts (its always nice here give or take a hurricane or two)and we owners like to take our maltese out to play. One thing to remember is that to a eagle or hawk our little guys and gals look like steak on the grill to them, the best thing to do is keep an eye to the sky, because these raptors have and will snatch
them up in a heart beat. One story goes that a lady with a small dog on a leach had to fight one off because it was trying to fly away with her dog.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Originally posted by Malteze@Apr 7 2005, 06:41 PM
The weather is getting nice in some parts (its always nice here give or take a hurricane or two)and we owners like to take our maltese out to play.  One thing to remember is that to a eagle or hawk our little guys and gals look like steak on the grill to them, the best thing to do is keep an eye to the sky, because these raptors have and will snatch 
them up in a heart beat. One story goes that a lady with a small dog on a leach had to fight one off because it was trying to fly away with her dog.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50310
[/QUOTE]
oh my god ! chico is 6v pounds i wonder if they would go after a dog that size? that is way to scarey~d

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I know here in Northeast Ohio we have hawks and now bald eagles along Lake Erie. The hawks will and do take dogs and cats. I have a friend who works for the metroparks here and he was telling me that when he goes out to check nest he does find collars...from dogs and cats. I had a woman call into the Health Department crying because a hawk took her puppy (a yorkie) and tore it to pieces in her backyard...she has a yard that ends were the metropark begins. So I never leave my baby outside by herself and I am always on the lookout. We have lots of owls but so far they stay away. The bats on the other hand love to come and explore us.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That was a huge concern for me when i first moved here i was just positive a big bird would come and eat my little puppy when i turned my back, its one of the reasons i got a bigger maltese but when he was tiny i was so parinoid i would hear a woodpecker and be like ok Sunny time to go in now lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was just thinking about this yesterday. We have huge hawks around here. In fact last year I took a picture of a hawk with a huge rabbit in it's talons, the rabbit was still alive and my husband and I were trying to get the hawk to release it. It just fanned it's wings and hissed at us and then flew away with the rabbit. The rabbit was very big too, it wasn't a tiny bunny. (I can post the picture if anyone is interested)

I have no doubt a hawk would snatch Izzy in a moment whether I'm standing there or not because the hawk that my husband and I encountered was not in the least intimadated by us.

Thanks for reminding us with a great topic.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Red Tails (Hawks) are predominant here in Tucson as are Owl, hence the porch got screened in!! No more worries in this part of the country!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Apr 8 2005, 09:05 AM
I was just thinking about this yesterday.  We have huge hawks around here.  In fact last year I took a picture of a hawk with a huge rabbit in it's talons, the rabbit was still alive and my husband and I were trying to get the hawk to release it.  It just fanned it's wings and hissed at us and then flew away with the rabbit.  The rabbit was very big too, it wasn't a tiny bunny.  (I can post the picture if anyone is interested)

I have no doubt a hawk would snatch Izzy in a moment whether I'm standing there or not because the hawk that my husband and I encountered was not in the least intimadated by us.

Thanks for reminding us with a great topic.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50406
[/QUOTE]
My bf has this prob where he lives. Peanut loves to chase the forest bunnies (I have him on the leash, so he never gets that close to them). The hawks are scary though...I even run away from them! They are soooo brave, they aren't scared by people or cars so I don't even give them a chance to get near the dogs.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i live on the beach, and i have this mental vision of lucy flying around in a pelicans beak w/ her front feet propped up just looking around..

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here is the hawk with the rabbit under his talons. Notice the ears of the rabbit standing up.

And here is a picture of the end result, sadly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by puppylucy@Apr 8 2005, 06:28 PM
malteze, where do you live? we also got hit by 2 (jeanne and frances) last year
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50654
[/QUOTE]

Lecanto about 60 miles north from Tampa Bay and about 15 miles from the golf coast. We got both of them, but not too bad, did loose power for about 3 days in Jeenne.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
glad you didn't get too hurt by the hurricanes... our town got HAMMERED. we're on the east coast (right there; we're a barrier island)... we lost power for like 10 days and missed 10 days

1 - 18 of 18 Posts