Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

421 - 440 of 448 Posts

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I heard Trump is being pro-active on this and has already companies making the syringes and vials etc in HUGE quantities so when the vaccine is approved distribution can begin very rapidly - not just for U.S. but for ALL countries.
👍

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
I heard Trump is being pro-active on this and has already companies making the syringes and vials etc in HUGE quantities so when the vaccine is approved distribution can begin very rapidly - not just for U.S. but for ALL countries.
👍
I hope that's right!!!!!! I want my life back.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
They just announced that all Ontario schools WILL reopen in Sept. Grades 4 through 12 will be required to wear masks and it's recommended the younger kids wear them too but it's not mandatory. Anyone showing symptoms will immediately be isolated and sent home. Kids have colds pretty much all year so I guess they will be sending kids home daily! The teachers are required to wear masks too. I don't see how they are going to get kids to keep those masks on all day. Personally I think going back to school isn't going to go well. My youngest daughter is a teacher so she is exposed to about 25 kids each day plus she has 3 kids now in school so each one of her 3 kids will be exposed to that many kids each day too so that's a LOT of exposures. Her youngest is just starting Junior Kindergarten and you know how little 4 year olds are......germy! To all the scientists working so hard out there, please come up with a vaccine soon!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #424 (Edited)
Huh, this is kind of interesting, at least to me. ;) Now that it's the beginning of August, I would have thought the hummingbirds were all done their mating for the season. Usually the males leave to migrate south the end of this month and the females are gone by mid Sept. A few days I noticed a male performing, doing many swoops and loops through the air and a female sitting in the tree chattering at him. I assumed this was a mating ritual, the male was showing the female what amazing acrobatics he could do. Sure enough today I saw a female gathering some spider webs off a shrub in front of my window and from what I have read, they use spider webs to build their nests. By the time she lays eggs and incubates them and the babies fledge the nest it will be almost time for the migration. I sure hope these babies will be strong enough by then for that long journey south. I learn something new every day, especially when I'm at home all the time with nothing to do. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Perhaps one more rendezvous to remember Ontario before his long flight south?😍
I'm wondering if perhaps your hummers know this will be a milder winter than usual so there in no rush to start their journey - Or at least I'm hoping this is the case! Do you also set out your dryer lint for them to build their nest with? I'm wondering if they would also like to use our maltese hair (Haven't tried this yet).
Hummingbirds are the most amazing beautiful little birds.
Ours stay (and mate) all year long. Their little walnut sized nests they make in my rose bushes are truly amazing - Although their favorite nesting spot is in the huge eucalyptus trees out back. Those trees are so messy but I put up with the mess for the many hummers that call them home. 👍
so many of my neighbors have been cutting down their big established trees. Every time I hear a chainsaw going I cring. Don't they realize all the birds and critters that live in the trees and how good trees are are for the environment?

IMG_1179.jpg

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I'm still in quarantine......... No Covid symptoms so far!
My son-in-law was cleared to go back to work on Monday.

e5b044b1f1f4d6fea5124a4c1bfa9133.jpg

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
Perhaps one more rendezvous to remember Ontario before his long flight south?😍
I'm wondering if perhaps your hummers know this will be a milder winter than usual so there in no rush to start their journey - Or at least I'm hoping this is the case! Do you also set out your dryer lint for them to build their nest with? I'm wondering if they would also like to use our maltese hair (Haven't tried this yet).
Hummingbirds are the most amazing beautiful little birds.
Ours stay (and mate) all year long. Their little walnut sized nests they make in my rose bushes are truly amazing - Although their favorite nesting spot is in the huge eucalyptus trees out back. Those trees are so messy but I put up with the mess for the many hummers that call them home. 👍
so many of my neighbors have been cutting down their big established trees. Every time I hear a chainsaw going I cring. Don't they realize all the birds and critters that live in the trees and how good trees are are for the environment?

View attachment 274770
I never thought of dryer lint. I could probably put some out now. Do you think they would like that?
On another note, I saw that whole falcon family again just a block away from us. there is at least 4, maybe 5 including the parents. One of them actually was on our neighbours roof this afternoon. :eek: Go away falcons.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Did I miss something here????/ Were you exposed to covid and did your son-in-law have it? What about the rest of the family?
Kathy,
Yes. My son-in-law was running a high fever and having trouble breathing. He went to emergency and was tested for Covid - The test came back positive for Covid. I've been in isolation too as he was at my house the week before. I'm pretty sure the kids and I are all ok. Dr says we should have had symptoms by now if we were going to get it. But as a safeguard Im staying "isolated" a bit longer. I don't want to be responsible for being a spreader. Better safe than sorry!
😷👍

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Kathy,
Yes. My son-in-law was running a high fever and having trouble breathing. He went to emergency and was tested for Covid - The test came back positive for Covid. I've been in isolation too as he was at my house the week before. I'm pretty sure the kids and I are all ok. Dr says we should have had symptoms by now if we were going to get it. But as a safeguard Im staying "isolated" a bit longer. I don't want to be responsible for being a spreader. Better safe than sorry!
😷👍
Sending prayers that you stay healthy. What about your daughter, did she get sick? I won't go near my family without social distancing just for that reason. I don't know where they have been and who they have been around so it would be so easy for them to spread it unknowingly. I really hate this though and sometimes get very discouraged. 😢

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Can you relate to this? 🤔
I sure can - and I know Paula & Addison can.
Not sure about you Kathy? LOL 🙀😉!
Love to all my fellow senior saints here on SM!
😘👍

29577770cadbad4f884bbca05c9261ac.jpg

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I still have my old original Walkman radio/cassett player - I have a couple music cassettes that I love and enjoy listening to when out walking or at night when I have trouble sleeping.
Yes, I also have my Apple Music and iTunes! I'm not completely antiquated!
🌻 👍

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
Can you relate to this? 🤔
I sure can - and I know Paula & Addison can.
Not sure about you Kathy? LOL 🙀😉!
Love to all my fellow senior saints here on SM!
😘👍

View attachment 274776
Yes Paulann I reluctantly can say I can relate to all those things. Geez I remember when there was no such thing as dishwashers or microwaves or computers either. :oops: I just turned 64 in July o_O. Not sure how that happened because just yesterday I was 50 but my birth year says otherwise.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
My first real job was in the late 60's in San Francisco at Greyhound Lines West. I worked in accounting and the charter department analysis. We had a huge computer room filled with whirling buzzing computers spinning reels of information. We used IBM typewriters and adding machines with tape.

I actually still have an old rotary phone - one that had the bell hung beside it. My father-in-law had an old mom & pop grocery store and when he closed down I claimed several things from it. The phone was one of them along with a hand cast porcelain scale he used to weigh the meat. The phone is actually hooked up to work. I have it in the kitchen. It was so funny when my kids had friends over and they asked where the phone was because they needed to call home. When I pointed to the phone on the wall they looked perplexed!

IMG_1088.JPG

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
My first real job was in the late 60's in San Francisco at Greyhound Lines West. I worked in accounting and the charter department analysis. We had a huge computer room filled with whirling buzzing computers spinning reels of information. We used IBM typewriters and adding machines with tape.

I actually still have an old rotary phone - one that had the bell hung beside it. My father-in-law had an old mom & pop grocery store and when he closed down I claimed several things from it. The phone was one of them along with a hand cast porcelain scale he used to weigh the meat. The phone is actually hooked up to work. I have it in the kitchen. It was so funny when my kids had friends over and they asked where the phone was because they needed to call home. When I pointed to the phone on the wall they looked perplexed!

View attachment 274777
That phone is sooooo cool looking.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
This is the old scale I claimed from my father-in-laws store. It is VERY heavy. No way can I move it by myself.
I will be sad when I "downsize" and move into my small cabin in the woods - then I will most likely need to sell it. Sadly nobody else in the family treasures these old antiques.

IMG_2097.jpg

Reactions: pippersmom

·
Premium Member
24,143 Posts
Oh my gosh Paulann I LOVE the scale and phone.
I have been looking for a vintage double sided hanging scale for my kitchen
I check weekly on eBay.
The owner who lived here had one hanging in the kitchen.
Every sense I saw it I wanted one.

·
Premium Member
24,143 Posts
So I was talking on the phone with Charity today, we were talking about people, masks and googles
She told me she was at the grocery store and saw a couple people wearing full body outfits she said one was a unicorn and and another a clear bubble🤣😃
I told her if she she's that again to take a picture
Only in Seattle 😃🤣😂

421 - 440 of 448 Posts