Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you guys keep the pups still enough to clip the hair around their eyes? I have a small dull pointed scissor but, he jerks away???

Whats the best way to hold them still without hurting them. I feel like they are so fragile, mine is 2.7 pounds right now.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You can grab his beard to hold him still, or with your palm under his jaw and forefinger and thumb on either side of his jaw in front of his ears. While doing either of these grips, I hold him closely against my chest....and work quickly!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I do alot of grooming on Ty when he is asleep on my lap at night while we are watching TV..... I trim his toe nails and trim the hair around his eyes. I wait til he's sound asleep and then do it very carefully. He usually sleeps right through it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I started with standing Puddles on the bathroom counter, holding his head against my tummy. With one hand on the side of his head and trimming with the other. Would sing to him or make noises, keeping his attention. Now he will stand still facing me.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Hmm, I may try holding him against my tummy? He goes to bite the scissor right now, and even though it's points are dull and round, I get nervous. Also get nervous because they say their neck is really fragile. When I say he jerks, boy does he shake and jolt around...almost impossible.

I dont know if he will stay while sleeping, I could try that, too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I would also clap my fingers around his mouth and my palm on the side of face, not near the throat.

Also don't hold the clippers like your cutting a piece of paper, hold them against your finger (pointer finger against the side of scissors). That way your finger will hit him if he jerks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Nov 14 2005, 07:02 PM
I do alot of grooming on Ty when he is asleep on my lap at night while we are watching TV..... I trim his toe nails and trim the hair around his eyes.  I wait til he's sound asleep and then do it very carefully.  He usually sleeps right through it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119651
[/QUOTE]

Holy Toledo - you are so lucky. Even the sound of a pin dropping on carpet will wake Molly up.

I just hold Molly close to my body, say "settle", and wipe her eyes to get rid of her eye boogers. I'm too chicken to use a scissor... I leave that to the groomers.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I let Phoebe's hairs grow out because of the wiggle factor. I am much too afraid. Shes too wild when she sees what she considers food (which the scissors will fall into that category). I was very successful with my last maltese, if I held her, facing forward in my left arm, against my body, and got a grip of her beard in my left hand, I could trim with the right. She was still though, so it didnt involve pulling. Make sure you have sharp scissors so the cut is quick and clean, and with rounded ends.

If you're that worried about it, maybe you should consider leaving it up to the groomer, or waiting until that wonderful day that the ants are outta the pants, like I am.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Originally posted by mmforever+Nov 15 2005, 11:10 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppymom
@Nov 14 2005, 07:02 PM
I do alot of grooming on Ty when he is asleep on my lap at night while we are watching TV..... I trim his toe nails and trim the hair around his eyes.  I wait til he's sound asleep and then do it very carefully.  He usually sleeps right through it.
Holy Toledo - you are so lucky. Even the sound of a pin dropping on carpet will wake Molly up.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Same with Paris...I can barely move and she bolts up.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Originally posted by mmforever+Nov 15 2005, 12:10 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppymom
@Nov 14 2005, 07:02 PM

I just hold Molly close to my body, say "settle", and wipe her eyes to get rid of her eye boogers. I'm too chicken to use a scissor... I leave that to the groomers.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119869
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think it'sbecause he gets groomed EVERY night while he sleeps on my lap so he's finally just given in and accepted it, I also use car rides as an opportunity to trim his nails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts