Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in anticipation of my new little pup, I have been going around town picking up things here and there to be prepared for when my new little guy arrives! I got stuck when trying to choose a kennel though because I'm not quite sure which size to get...

The one I wanted to get, but I think would be too large is:
the N2N Pethouse And the dimensions are: 23"L x 15.25"W x 13"H

Do you guys think I should just wait until after I get him to get a kennel? Since he will get bigger I guess.. but the breeder already told me he probably wouldn't get any bigger than 6lbs... but can you ever be really too sure?

Maybe I'm just jumping the gun in my excitment... :smilie_tischkante:

Or I can just opt to get the smallest one they have? Help! :blink:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I have that same one, same size and all (but mine is brown and black) that I used when London was a puppy. I felt like she outgrew it, not so much width or length wise, but it is only 13" tall so it's quite small. It works amazingly well for a puppy, though. London is 7lbs by the way.

I (and most SM members) prefer to use the wire crates, such as this one: Midwest Life Stages Training and Travel Crates - 1600 Series - Dog - Free Ship - PetSmart in the 24"Lx18"Wx21"H size. I have two now, one for each dog, and they are more portable than the plastic type because they easily fold and collapse for travel. One reason why I like the wire crates more is that they allow much more airflow than the plastic ones. They also are basically indestructable, and they allow the Malt to see out. The ones I have are slightly different than the model I linked, mine have 2 doors on them. Shop around for the best price...when I purchased my 2nd one Amazon was the best price for the model I wanted.

Edit: Also, the wire crates almost always come with a divider panel that is adjustable so you can make the crate area smaller to start with to aid in potty training, then as they grow you gradually make the area larger, and eventually remove the divider panel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have that same one, same size and all (but mine is brown and black) that I used when London was a puppy. I felt like she outgrew it, not so much width or length wise, but it is only 13" tall so it's quite small. It works amazingly well for a puppy, though. London is 7lbs by the way.

I (and most SM members) prefer to use the wire crates, such as this one: Midwest Life Stages Training and Travel Crates - 1600 Series - Dog - Free Ship - PetSmart in the 24"Lx18"Wx21"H size. I have two now, one for each dog, and they are more portable than the plastic type because they easily fold and collapse for travel. One reason why I like the wire crates more is that they allow much more airflow than the plastic ones. They also are basically indestructable, and they allow the Malt to see out. The ones I have are slightly different than the model I linked, mine have 2 doors on them. Shop around for the best price...when I purchased my 2nd one Amazon was the best price for the model I wanted.

Edit: Also, the wire crates almost always come with a divider panel that is adjustable so you can make the crate area smaller to start with to aid in potty training, then as they grow you gradually make the area larger, and eventually remove the divider panel.

Oh great! Thanks for the advice, yeah I was looking into wire crates too, but ultimately decided against them since I thought that Kennel Cabs look more portable, but I will have to definitely rethink that now. It seems as though wire crates are the better choice, for the malt...

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
The wire crates are much more portable because they fold up easily. They fold up flat to about 2"-3" thick, easy to put in your trunk, slide under a bed, etc. The plastic kennel cab types come in two pieces so they take up a much larger space if you want to put them in your car on a trip, etc without the dog in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts