Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ty will be 5 months old on Aug 3. My son is getting married on July 30 and I must leave him at a kennel for 3 days. I have been to the kennel and the owner is delightful and she has said that she will keep Ty in the house with her and that she will even let him sleep with her. So he won't actually be in the kennel. But she raises Borsoi and Bassetts and has a number of dogs in the house and requires a vac for Bortodello. I called the Vet and he said Ty is old enough so we are off tonight to see him.

My question is, the kennel owner who is a breeder and judge said that the vacine is an aerosol nasal vacine. My Vet said that the vacine is 2 shots given 2 weeks apart. I do not have time to get both shots in before leaving. the Vet said I "should" be ok. What do you think?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think you should watch him around the borzoi. They are sight hounds and love to chase small furry white things. And the kennel cough vaccine can be given either way. It is more common to do the nose drops, but with either the first dose requires a booster 2 weeks later.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Crap that reminds me Nikki needs to have this done. She is going to the groomers for the first time in August.

When Lexi had it done it was the nose one.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina+Jul 20 2005, 03:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jul 20 2005, 03:36 PM
Are you sure about the booster? My vet gives just one dose in the nose ??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83078

http://greenbriervet.com/newsletters/dogvaccine.htm

You only booster it after the very first administration, not every year.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83079
[/B][/QUOTE]
Question then. Nikki goes to the vet the 3rd and the groomers the 5th. Does she need to have both before she goes?

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/QUOTE]
Question then. Nikki goes to the vet the 3rd and the groomers the 5th. Does she need to have both before she goes?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83081
[/QUOTE]

According to my vet for full immunity they need both shots but with one shot there will be partial immunity.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Jul 20 2005, 03:59 PM
Question then.  Nikki goes to the vet the 3rd and the groomers the 5th.  Does she need to have both before she goes?
[/QUOTE]

According to my vet for full immunity they need both shots but with one shot there will be partial immunity.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83089
[/B][/QUOTE]
I just called my vet. They do the nose one the first time and then after that there is a yearly boost shot.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Jul 20 2005, 05:04 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppymom
@Jul 20 2005, 03:59 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
Question then.  Nikki goes to the vet the 3rd and the groomers the 5th.  Does she need to have both before she goes?
[/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]
I just called my vet. They do the nose one the first time and then after that there is a yearly boost shot.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83090
[/B][/QUOTE]

Kristi, you may want to find out how long after she gets the dose before she has immunity. It probably isn't right away.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jul 20 2005, 04:14 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 20 2005, 05:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-puppymom
@Jul 20 2005, 03:59 PM
<div class='quotemain'>

[/QUOTE]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83090
[/B][/QUOTE]

Kristi, you may want to find out how long after she gets the dose before she has immunity. It probably isn't right away.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83092
[/B][/QUOTE]
I explained to the person that I talked to that she had the vet appointment on the 3rd and the grooming appointment on the 5th and they said it was fine.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which I guess brings me back to my orignial question.......... I'm getting two different stories............. one is that the first vacine is a nasal inahalent and that it's given once the other is that it is a shot and must be repeated twice for the immunity to be fully effective.

Any of our potential Vets out there care to weigh in?

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kennel_cough.html

Well, just answered my own question.......
Above is a site that address' the two different options. It appears that the nasal option is the preferred option so I'm calling my Vet back to find out why he doesn't use it.

But it also states that it takes a full 4 days for the immunity to be solid (after the nasal).

Gotta go make a phone call.....

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Jul 20 2005, 05:10 PM

Above is a site that address' the two different options.  It appears that the nasal option is the preferred option so I'm calling my Vet back to find out why he doesn't use it.

But it also states that it takes a full 4 days for the immunity to be solid (after the nasal).

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83105
[/QUOTE]
I heard to get it a week before just to be safe.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by sassy14830+Jul 20 2005, 08:26 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppymom
@Jul 20 2005, 05:10 PM

Above is a site that address' the two different options.  It appears that the nasal option is the preferred option so I'm calling my Vet back to find out why he doesn't use it.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83105
I heard to get it a week before just to be safe.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83189
[/B][/QUOTE]
$hit! Maybe I will just push Nikki haircut back a until the following Wednesday.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 20 2005, 03:36 PM
Are you sure about the booster? My vet gives just one dose in the nose ??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83078
[/QUOTE]

That's strange...my vet just gave Sassi one dose in the nose and no booster.
Wonder if we are on the same page.
One vet gives a booster and others don't..????

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I think if they get the nose one they don't need to get a "booster" until a year later.

It sounds like the shot version needs to get a booster shot a couple of weeks after the initial shot.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sorry i didnt see this post...there should be immunity after the first nasal vaccine...some vets booster it with a shot...some booster it with the nasal. depends on the vet. its actually a vacine that doesnt last the whole year long, but most vets only give it annually. but the nasal does work better. the shot is used for the ones that are too crazy for the nasal vaccine usually. its hard to hit a moving nose

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
My vet doesn't always give that vaccine....
He did for Brink before we went of vacation when I said we were staying at a pet friendly place etc...he said "just to be safe"...so I asked why he didn't give it all the time...and he said that dogs that are mostly "house" dogs don't really need it...unless they are boarded frequently, go to the groomers, or are out and about a lot. He knew I groomed Brink myself etc...but I felt better knowing he had if for vacation. He did the nasal one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts