Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow dog lovers I have been trying to find a harness that does not matt my maltipoo fur and haven't unsuccessful. Would anyone have an answer to MY & KiKo 's problem, brushing is always a task as he hates to be brushed .SO BECAUSE OF HIM HATING TO BE BRUSHED WE HAVE SEVERAL GROOMING VISITS TWICE A MONTH TO BE EXACT.....HELP US PLEASE ANYONE!!!!!

·
Registered
Elisabeth and Poodles (plus Zooey in heaven)
4,335 Posts
Welcome, Tanisia and Kiko! Oh, he's cute! 😍 I'm sorry, I don't have any advice about the coat. My Maltese had a silk coat that never matted. Someone else will probably be able to help you.

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
That's just one of the many issues with mixed breeds - the coat is inconsistent. If you brush your dog daily at least you'll be able to keep the matting and tangles under control. If the only time he gets brushed is at the groomer, you need to start doing it yourself; mats and tangles can actually be quite painful to dogs if they are not removed daily.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use Top Performance GloCoat Conditioner and Detangler for Dogs. It really helps to get those tangles out and it smells really nice. My groomer swears by it. I got mine at Chewy. It's also good to keep static down during these dry cold months!

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,148 Posts
Welcome to SM! Kiko is cute. 💕
I have heard that silk or satin lined harnesses tend to mat less (I have not tried them myself). Abella has long hair so she can get matts in her "leg pits" when we go for a walk (she doesn't walk very much - she is mostly in her buggy) - I ALWAYS give her a very thorough brushing after each & every walk. You don't say how old Kiko is but I would definitely recommend you slowly start getting him used to daily brushing - He can learn to LOVE his grooming time with you. By brushing him daily or even twice daily mats won't have a chance to build up and brushing won't be as painful for the little guy. I would also recommend you include an intense conditioner with his weekly baths. This will help the brush glide thru his hair.
🐶 🐾🌷

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,148 Posts
Another thought:
Does Kiko like treats? If he does try incorporating them into his "grooming/brushing" and shower him with lots of praise as you brush/massage his little body. Also, RELAX - they can sense if you are nervous or stressed.......I'm really hoping Kiko and you can both get to the point you LOVE the very special time spent together while you groom him - It truly is a great bonding experience. Please keep us updated.
🐶 🐾🌷

1 - 7 of 7 Posts