Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know Kirbie has been being treated for allergys. He has had alot of tearstaing and his eyes are red and kinda enlarged. I took him back today because after a week on the meds I didnt feel like it helped. Vet put dye in his eyes and it went all over his face not out his nose like it should have. So now he says that along with the allergys ,it looks like his bottom eyelid is turned in ever so slightly and maybe his tearducts are clogged also. He kept him on the meds for another week,but said we will prob. end up doing sugery to trim his bottom eyelids and or flush his tearducts. I am just sick and scared to death.He said its really not a major thing ,but it just makes me sick to my stomach. haveing to have anything like that done to my baby worries me to death. So its going to be a VERY LONG week here at our house.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, I know how stressful it is when our babies have medical issues.... I hope everything will be OK with Kirbie....

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww. We're all hoping for the best and sending good thoughts your way. Kisses to Kirby.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww....kisses and hugs to Kirbie! I am sure all will go well!

He will lots of good vibes coming his way. :D

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Entropion is common in the breed. It might make you feel better to see an ophthalmologist. This is their specialty. I also found when my dog had eye surgery with the ophtho, he had very little pain and next to no scarring from that surgery.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, do go to the optho, like Jackie says. I had a little foster Maltese with the same problem as your Kirbie, the little guy never knew he had surgery and was back to his normal self as soon as I brought him home.
Quincymom

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 6 2005, 09:57 PM
Entropion is common in the breed. It might make you feel better to see an ophthalmologist. This is their specialty. I also found when my dog had eye surgery with the ophtho, he had very little pain and next to no scarring from that surgery.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49958
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Jackie,yes I plan to do that.WE have to do our best for these babies. Did your dogs recovery seem to go quickly?Did he need pain meds?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You everyone.I am VERY stressed out about this. I keep thinking I should have noticed this sooner.But truthfuly other than teething Kirbie has never tearstained much..They all seemed to stain a bit until I re educted myself and made sure their food didnt have all the bad stuff in it.Befor that just a daily face wash took care of it.Now within the last three weeks ,Kirbie has gotton terrible.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady had to have eye surgery a couple of months after I adopted her (my "free" dog!) She had a small cherry eye in one eye, where the inside lower lid popped out slightly. They did both eyes since my vet said usually the other one will pop out at some point, too.

Lady didn't seem to have any pain or discomfort after the surgery. Poor thing popped her stitches in one eye a few days later and they had to put her under again and stitch it up again. Again, it didn't seem to bother her at all.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Apr 7 2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks Jackie,yes I plan to do that.WE have to do our best for these babies. Did your dogs recovery seem to go quickly?Did he need pain meds?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50014
[/QUOTE]

For the first 3 surgeries, Mikey didn't seem in pain at all. The first 2 they gave him an injection before he woke up and numbing drops and the 3rd one the ophtho (who I should have gone to first!) did an extra local. He was fine and raring to go. His 4th surgery he had a lot of scar tissue so it was a bit more difficult. He had knee surgery at the same time so the pain control was covered, but he did have to wear an e-collar that time so he didn't rub his face for about a week. It wasn't a big deal and he did just fine. He was squinty the first day and needed eye ointment for about 2 weeks after each surgery 3 times a day. Honestly other than the last more involved one, you couldn't tell the next day he had had eye surgery.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Need lots of prayers and good vibs next Wed.Kirbie is having his eye surgery that day.
Im soooooooo worried,I just hate it when one of our babies has to have surgery for any reason.But I know he will feel so much better afterwords.Thanks all in advance.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Apr 22 2005, 11:45 AM
Need lots of prayers and good vibs next Wed.Kirbie is having his eye surgery that day.
Im soooooooo worried,I just hate it when one of our babies has to have surgery for any reason.But I know he will feel so much better afterwords.Thanks all in advance.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55333
[/QUOTE]

Awww....lots of hugs and well wishes coming his/your way!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts